Do any of you not tell the truth?

How could your aunt possibly think she is right considering you are an actual pilot and she is..... not a pilot?
You're kidding right? You seem to think that a belief structure is susceptible to rational discourse and argument. History suggests that's not the case.

His aunt believes it's dangerous because she believes it's dangerous. One can either act with an appropriate amount of discretion when dealing with someone who has that belief system or make two people very unhappy by continuing to repeatedly challenge it.

Or, are you the kind of guy who walks up to every ugly person on the street and say, "OMG! You are UGLY!!!" just because it happens to be true?

No, a spouse or SO should not be kept in the dark.

That's a nice idea, poor in practice.

I had an experience during the opening "shock and awe" part of OIF where I had a mighty close call with a surface to air missile. To this day I can't explain why I did not get shot down.

Anyway, after the experience, I got the stress out of my system by writing a detailed email about the close call to my brother. I intentionally did not send it to my wife, because I did not want to worry her -- she was watching the war practically live on CNN and was probably pretty worried. My brother, however, is a former military pilot and could understand what happened better.

Well, he had a lapse of judgment after getting the email and forwarded it to my wife.

My fears were realized when my wife became very, VERY worried. For no reason, really...it happened, and I was safe by the time I wrote the email. Regardless, it needlessly upped her stress level to know *exactly* -- in heart-stopping detail -- what was happening to me in the war. Blissfully unaware would have been just fine.

So, sorry Q-Gar, but spouses DON'T need to know about everything that happens.

Ummmm,. did anyone read SeatClutcher's post? She was the first to suggest spouses shouldn't be kept in the dark because it's easier. I said they shouldn't be, IN REALITY, but depending on your circumstances (and the spouse in question), it's the path of least resistance TO keep them blissfully ignorant. For God's sakes, guys, I'm AGREEING with ya! ;) :)

How could your aunt possibly think she is right considering you are an actual pilot and she is..... not a pilot? It is almost annoying how misinformed people are and they keep thinking that they are right even considering the massive evidence proving them wrong.
Preaching to the Choir, buddy.

This is the same lady that tries telling me how to fly when we're in an actual airplane. There's no convincing her.

*edit*
Now, when we fly GA she sits in the back and isn't allowed to talk to me until we're in the destination FBO. Period. Y'all know the types.

-mini

Yeah after telling my mom that I was doing spin training for CFI, I don't really say too much anymore.

yeah my mother is not too thrilled by my whole aerobatics thing.

"yeah mom i totally F'in blacked out today... but it was fun!"

*mother glares through the phone at me*

oh, and this is my same mom who will violently puke while riding smooth-as-glass in the back of a 737-whatever. shes NOT a fan of flying.

How could your aunt possibly think she is right considering you are an actual pilot and she is..... not a pilot? It is almost annoying how misinformed people are and they keep thinking that they are right even considering the massive evidence proving them wrong.
Easily, very easily. My family is cursed with a surplus of know-it-alls. Every time we get together as a family I always find myself in an argument with someone who has made up their mind that flying is dangerous and I just don't know what I'm talking about. People are very good at convincing themselves that they are right and everyone else is wrong.

I took my girlfriend along a while ago as I was giving a buddy a lesson. We had something of a situation develop and handled it in kind. Before this she was very skiddish about my flying stories because she didn't really get it. After we landed and we were talking about what happened she said: "I was freaking out in the back but you two were just up there like nothing was going on. You guys are entirely too cool." Since then she's gotten a lot better because she saw it with her own eyes. She still doesn't like hearing my scary stories but she tolerates them better.

Now, that said, I lie my tail off to my mom. She'd beat the crap out of me if she knew half of my stories.

Initially, the family would get details only if it's going to be on the evening news.

Now, they get details only if it's going to be picked up on the national wire and be evening news for a week or two. And then only if they have whatever excuse to make them unreliable witnesses for any court proceedings or government investigations. :banghead:

I generally don't go into details unless I'm asked for them. How was your flight?

It went well.

And then that's usually it.

If they ask for details, they get them. But if they don't, they don't.

You're kidding right? You seem to think that a belief structure is susceptible to rational discourse and argument. History suggests that's not the case.

His aunt believes it's dangerous because she believes it's dangerous. One can either act with an appropriate amount of discretion when dealing with someone who has that belief system or make two people very unhappy by continuing to repeatedly challenge it.

Or, are you the kind of guy who walks up to every ugly person on the street and say, "OMG! You are UGLY!!!" just because it happens to be true?
Sorry? I just meant that it is funny that even though someone has the proper credentials, someone can not change a belief that is already embedded into the mis-informed persons brain. I do not believe that I told him how to deal with his Aunt contrary to your belief. Sorry for the confusion.

Wow.... lot of different views.... I think for the time being I will not be sharing the details of my adventures. I think that I will have to get a "boring" job before offering too much.

Sorry? I just meant that it is funny that even though someone has the proper credentials, someone can not change a belief that is already embedded into the mis-informed persons brain.
You can't teach someone that knows everything. Even if she only thinks she knows everything.

-mini

Sorry? I just meant that it is funny that even though someone has the proper credentials, someone can not change a belief that is already embedded into the mis-informed persons brain. I do not believe that I told him how to deal with his Aunt contrary to your belief. Sorry for the confusion.
Nope. I didn't think that you were telling him how to deal with his aunt. I was just flabbergasted that you wondered
How could your aunt possibly think she is right considering you are an actual pilot and she is..... not a pilot?
when thousands of years of history suggests that's exactly how people think.

I know the title is a little misleading but does anyone else not tell their family/loved ones about incidents that occur while flying whether it be for work or fun?
I had a little "problem" today with the plane I was flying and when asked by one of my parents in a subsequent phone convo about how my day was I simply replied "It was alright."
When I go to work I have my game face on.... when I leave I pull a superman and am "normal"... I guess I don't want my family worrying about me and thus just leave out certain parts of my day.

Is this abnormal and inconsiderate of me or simply a burden to be bourne until happy hour with coworkers?

Any thoughts from y'all?

B

I avoid going in to too much detail. As soon as I start talking about flying, people around me usually get the "thousand yard" stare. I also avoid telling my mom about potentially dangerous things that happen to me up there. She's gettin up there in years and I don't want to help things along.

"How was your day?"

"It was great..." end convo.

I avoid going in to too much detail. As soon as I start talking about flying, people around me usually get the "thousand yard" stare. I also avoid telling my mom about potentially dangerous things that happen to me up there. She's gettin up there in years and I don't want to help things along.

"How was your day?"

"It was great..." end convo.

:yeahthat:

Back