Do airline flights arrive and depart on time anymore?

I worked a EWR-ORF CRJ at 8,000 last summer during swap

I used to use TEC routes to get out of the northeast all the time and then pop up to altitude as soon as we got through the log jam. The CRJ did ok burning gas at 8000 feet for a few hundred miles so it was feasible if it was going to save us a few hours of delays, and I had a dispatcher who was willing to be creative.

I used to use TEC routes to get out of the northeast all the time and then pop up to altitude as soon as we got through the log jam. The CRJ did ok burning gas at 8000 feet for a few hundred miles so it was feasible if it was going to save us a few hours of delays, and I had a dispatcher who was willing to be creative.

Creative got me the OK to send an overfueled -200 to OMA once...

...several years later and I still think Philly rampers just can't read.

So some dirty math says United operates 5,000 flights a day, which means 35,000 flights a week. United (as of April) was operating 80% on time arrivals, so there was a one in five chance of arriving late. Homeboy had 4 flights in a row that operated late within a week. So that becomes (1/5)^4, which works out to .16% chance of happening.

@Wardogg you should go play the lottery. You've been pretty lucky!
NERD

(I’m sort of jealous because I’m way too stupid for that kind of math)

I worked a EWR-ORF CRJ at 8,000 last summer during swap
Years ago I flew a CRJ EWR-ORD at 8,000 because our ice system was inop. Took off, about 3 minutes later I made my PA.

“Well we’ve reached our cruising altitude of EIGHT THOUSAND FEET, seatbelt sign is off, please enjoy the view.”

I think it took like an extra hour.

Back