Do airline flights arrive and depart on time anymore?

We have similar issues at AA, but it has to do with aircraft availability. Most of the issues I have had are due to maintenance and not having a spare aircraft. Since we are stretching everything so thin, anything that causes AOG turns into a 3+ hour delay while we wait for a new inbound. This obviously causes duty time issues, and we are stretched thin on the staffing front, as well, so it just spirals out of control quickly.
One and done on go home day? Yeah no planes available. When it comes to a penalty lap they almost always have a spare us. Admittedly there’s a difference between finding a spare in BOI vs one in DFW.

One and done on go home day? Yeah no planes available. When it comes to a penalty lap they almost always have a spare us. Admittedly there’s a difference between finding a spare in BOI vs one in DFW.

Still waited 90 minutes for a spare in DFW when they wanted to send us to RSW with no APU last week.

To answers OP original question, no I don't think AA has done anything on time since May, its embarrassing actually.

Still waited 90 minutes for a spare in DFW when they wanted to send us to RSW with no APU last week.

To answers OP original question, no I don't think AA has done anything on time since May, its embarrassing actually.
I guess I’m just “lucky”.

But yeah, I’m so rarely on time that I don’t even pay attention to push time any more sending for the PDC is like the second thing I do when I sit down… it almost always comes back with a clearance.

I guess I’m just “lucky”.

But yeah, I’m so rarely on time that I don’t even pay attention to push time any more sending for the PDC is like the second thing I do when I sit down… it almost always comes back with a clearance.

So I was on mil leave for 2 years doing C-17 stuff and got back a month or two ago. Beforehand I was talking to a buddy about commuting, he's like "ya, your commute in is always gonna be delayed, but don't stress about it, because your trip/sign in also always gonna be delayed, so it'll just work itself out, don't worry about it." 🤣

Last edited:
I mean, do airlines typically have spare planes sitting around waiting for a mtx swap? Always seemed like it’s more of a robbing Peter to pay Paul type thing. An unused plane ain’t making money, and those leases don’t pay themselves

Kinda like @BobDDuck said, the airline(s) runs majority on time, so kinda strange you haven’t had a single “on time trip” in two months?
Before the summer, they did. Just looked at AA is 33.8% D0 for the month in DFW. Yesterday and today are around 33%. Clear, summer days with no weather.

My last trip:

Day 1: First leg delayed 3.5 hours, 2nd leg delayed, last leg removed for duty time.
Day 2: First leg removed due to Day 1. Leg 1 departed 30m late, leg 2 15 minutes late, leg 3 was only 5 minutes late.
Day 3: First leg delayed 2 hours, 2nd leg 2 hours
Day 4: 5 minutes late on one and done leg

Some of the stuff is comical. They schedule us for an airplane that is AOG and then it gets pushed back. Wait for a new inbound, but it is over fueled. Dispatch/Ops/Fuel can't coordinate the defuel. We go back and forth with all 3 multiple times and finally get defueled, but they botch it and we decide to just burn the rest in the air and run the APU the whole time and pull the boards at cruise.

Last edited:
Before the summer, they did. Just looked at AA is 33.8% D0 for the month in DFW. Yesterday and today are around 33%. Clear, summer days with no weather.

My last trip:

Day 1: First leg delayed 3.5 hours, 2nd leg delayed, last leg removed for duty time.
Day 2: First leg removed due to Day 1. Leg 1 departed 30m late, leg 2 15 minutes late, leg 3 was only 5 minutes late.

Some of the stuff is comical. They schedule us for an airplane that is AOG and then it gets pushed back. Wait for a new inbound, but it is over fueled. Dispatch/Ops/Fuel can't coordinate the defuel. We go back and forth with all 3 multiple times and finally get defueled, but they botch it and we decide to just burn the rest in the air and run the APU the whole time and pull the boards at cruise.

Yeah we need to fly DFW to PIT at 12000 feet mmmkkk. Gotta burn the extra 10000 lbs of gas.

My on time has been fine.

Well we should say for all us trash flying Domestic, Canada/Caribbean/Mex, Central america and shallow south. The Seoul, Tokyos and Copenhagens generally go out on time, excluding London, apparently no one cares what time London gets there.

No man, DOOM! :)

IMG_4232.jpeg

My last trip:

Hm well, guess different bases different experiences. Last trip, 3 day 6 legs all on time. Have I had my share of dumbassness going on, yeah, but that’s just 121. Nothing much different in 2 companies over 13 years🤷

Side note, never seemed like running the APU at cruise did much for MLW on the 73. You drop the gear early tho and that fuel goes 💨

My official D0 performance is 91% YTD, but take into account that I'm a reserve, so I show up to flights that are already delayed past D0. Correcting for those, I'm probably close to 99+%.

Ship runs on time.

Back