Dissertation Research Survey

LRJETCAPT

Greetings everyone,

I am a doctoral student with Oklahoma State University and I am asking for your assistance with my dissertation research. My research focuses on the FAA’s certification process for pilots suffering from anxiety, depression, and/or taking an SSRI and comparing those standards to other ICAO States. My theory is the FAA certification process is more stringent than, and not as flexible as other nations. In addition, my theory is that US registered pilots may not be aware of the current certification standards and sharing this information may be beneficial to others in the pilot community.

At this time, I would like to extend an offer to take an anonymous four-question survey through the link provided. No personal information will be requested or collected, and the survey is voluntary. No questions will be asked pertaining to a participant’s medical history. In addition, no prior diagnosis of any aforementioned condition(s) are required to participate in this study. The only requirement is that participants are US registered pilots (student pilots included). The approximate time to complete the survey is between 1-5 minutes. If able, please fee free to forward this invitation to any other contacts you feel may be interested in participating. This study complies with, and has been approved, for human studies through Oklahoma State University’s IRB. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Link to survey:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CMBSWD7

Jake Durham, M.S.
6420 SE 15th St
Aviation Sciences Institute at Rose State College
Midwest City, OK 73110
jake.durham@okstate.edu

Dr. Timm Bliss
Oklahoma State University
318 Willard Hall
Stillwater, OK 74078
timm.bliss@okstate.edu

Oklahoma State University
Institutional Review Board
Office of University Research Compliance
223 Scott Hall
Stillwater, OK 74078
irb@okstate.edu

Thanks,

Jake

I think the use of the word 'adequate' was too vague. If the regulation was inadequate that could mean either it was not restrictive enough or that it was too restrictive. I would have rather picked between three options: adequate, too restrictive, or not restrictive enough.

Last edited:
Back when I starting working on my graduate degree, the head of the department told me in no uncertain terms "don't ever, under any circumstances, do a survey for your thesis. It takes forever, people don't answer and it's generally a giant pain"

Fast forward a couple years, my advisor said "nope, a survey is the only thing we're going to allow you to do".

Face palm......

For my dad’s doctoral thesis, he was told to change the verb tense of the entire thing. Showed the other advisor that, and was told to change it back.

Fortunately, they let him leave it. But he freaked out a little.

I'm not sure what you're gaining by asking for people's opinion of the FAA's actions.

Also, I went all the way through all your info, and still have no idea what SSRI stands for.

Yes, I know how to use Google. The point is, a doctoral candidate should know to define acronyms upon their first use.

Even so, common sense says he's asking us to do him a favor by completing his survey, he should make it easy for people to understand what he's talking about.

BTW, pretty cool vid!

Not gonna lie, man, I thought everyone knew what an SSRI was, hence the snarky response. It's like asking what an antibiotic is.

I just learned what it was

giphy.gif

Not gonna lie, man, I thought everyone knew what an SSRI was, hence the snarky response. It's like asking what an antibiotic is.

Perhaps I live under a rock. Even so, defining an acronym upon its first use is pretty standard practice no matter what writing standard a person uses.

I finally got curious enough to just now look it up.

I have had an overwhelming amount of responses on the survey and I greatly appreciate those who have taken time to participate. I plan to leave the survey open for a few more weeks. Therefore, anyone who is interested and can participate would be of a great assistance on this project. Again everything is anonymous and there are no questions asking about anyone's medical history.

An SSRI is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor commonly used to treat anxiety and depression.

Back