Dispatching with DUI possible?

skygirl777

Hi all, I’ve been struck by evil!
After having 2 glasses of wine w my dinner, i made the dumb decision to drive home. Fast forward… I was pulled over and caught a DUI (about 6 months ago.)

I just obtained my dispatch license and landed an interview with a regional. I feel like my life is over right now, i had a clean record :(

Question: Can this stop me from dispatching at a regional/major?
Should I show up to my interview?
Always UBER UBER UBER!!

Hi all, I’ve been struck by evil!
After having 2 glasses of wine w my dinner, i made the dumb decision to drive home. Fast forward… I was pulled over and caught a DUI (about 6 months ago.)

I just obtained my dispatch license and landed an interview with a regional. I feel like my life is over right now, i had a clean record :(

Question: Can this stop me from dispatching at a regional/major?
Should I show up to my interview?
Always UBER UBER UBER!!
Regional Probably Not, Major who knows.

If you’ve already disclosed this when you applied, and you still got an interview, there‘s a good chance that it’s not disqualifying. Best of luck.

When applying, if asked about driving violations or pleading guilty you will have to disclose this. However, many see this as a question in honesty as far as the airline hiring process goes.

Check the aviation attorney thread. There's a dude who had a felony and got a job at a major. I think you need to be off probation but ianal

I knew a guy that got a DUI while being a dispatcher...at a non union shop. Nothing happened. My guess is you'll be fine, just be honest about it.

You can dispach with a dui. Just be aware there are several countries that will not allowed you to enter. This could cause you problems if you try.
Good luck

I went through your exact situation. I got one just after finishing school and thought my career was over. 6 months later I got my first job at a regional and am now working for a major. Everyone makes mistakes, and if they ask about it just be honest. You’ll be fine.

I have a few buddies whom had priors to the regional field. I even know some dxrs at the majors with a DUI prior. Make sure you disclose it.

Yes I know someone who has a dui and is working at a major. Also know someone who failed a DOT drug test equivalent 42 times (according to this person) and is working at a major. Yes there is a story to that one.

Yes I know someone who has a dui and is working at a major. Also know someone who failed a DOT drug test equivalent 42 times (according to this person) and is working at a major. Yes there is a story to that one.

42 times and uh, they still have their certificate? How’s it go again, “no one loses their certificate.” :biggrin:

42 times and uh, they still have their certificate? How’s it go again, “no one loses their certificate.” :biggrin:

They also likely had 42 prescriptions from their doctor saving them. But you’re correct, FAA doesn’t pull dx certificates.

Last edited:
At my first airline, an individual forged something on their training record. FAA found out about it and pulled his certificate.

As for the 42 story, again according to the individual that told it. Individual is ex Coast Guard. They were moving bales of coke from an intercepted ship when 1 or 2 bales basically exploded. Sending a white cloud everywhere. Being hot and humid where they were at, the powder stuck to your skin and was quickly absorbed. This person stated that 2 crew members almost immediately went into shock and they threw them in the ocean to get the stuff off of them. Individual also stated everyone was tested daily and it took 42 tests before it came back negative. Individual did not say how often they were tested in a 24 hour period. I doubt the individual has a DX License at the time.

I think there’s a reg that requires you report the DUI with the FAA within 60 days after being charged. Not reporting that would be a bigger issue. As for employment, you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drive to work drunk all the time, so you're good.
1675632117659.png

Back