Dispatcher Pay Spreadsheet

Southwest base payrate starting $5507/mo (new dispatchers hired as Assistants and make 74% of this rate), top out at $11451/mo, not including add-ons and incentives. Schedule for lineholders is 6-3-6-3-6-6. DAL rent comparable to DFW rents and COL.

Also note, Texas has no state income tax. ;)

Would be interesting to know how long it takes to get top out pay. In ATC Top out was a figure that never seemed achievable.

AA is 4-3-4-4 for everyone. Even new hires on vacation relief get a 4-3-4-4 schedule. If you are asking for top of scale, for a domestic only dispatcher, no international quals is about 83/hr.

Is that for a 40 hour work week? 52 Weeks a year? $172,640?

Is the Kalitta info for Kalitta air or Kalitta Charters? Would like to know more about the difference between the two.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Is the Kalitta info for Kalitta air or Kalitta Charters? Would like to know more about the difference between the two.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Fairly sure that's for Kalitta Air dispatchers. Kalitta Air is 747/767 side of the operation with some "scheduled" (i.e. schedule set by OZ/TK/DHL) operations, military flying, and ad-hoc charters. Kalitta Charters II (not to be confused with Kalitta Charters) is also a part 121 supplemental certificate, but has a fleet of smaller aircraft (DC-9s and 737-400s - pretty sure the 727s are retired) doing mostly ad-hoc charters.

Good info on here. Always nice to know how my colleagues are doing.

Agreed. I like the fact that most people in this industry aren't afraid to talk about money and quality of life. I think its important to talk about.

Other industries aren't as open about salaries (and people almost act like your a sinner when it gets brought up).

Agreed. I like the fact that most people in this industry aren't afraid to talk about money and quality of life. I think its important to talk about.

Other industries aren't as open about salaries (and people almost act like your a sinner when it gets brought up).

Very true. Being on a scale makes it easy to infer what one is making, outside of OT or other assignments. Or maybe we glance at their pay stubs when they look on the computer...:p

I think it is a mutual benefit that we know. I'm very causal at work and sometimes outside of it about my income if someone were to ask.

Pretty nifty/interesting cost of housing index from Reddit

522071E5-BB0D-4476-9C87-E29BE2089AE9.png

In 1999 an entry level dispatcher at AWAC started at $12.98 an hour. Adjust that for inflation, and $19.48 is what they should be getting paid today. What do they actually get paid? $14.85 an hour.

Stop and think about that.

True the pay sucks. But it’s not like there’s a shortage of dispatchers. People will still apply regardless so there’s no reason for them to raise the pay. I’m with you though, the pay is horrendous but what can we do?

True the pay sucks. But it’s not like there’s a shortage of dispatchers. People will still apply regardless so there’s no reason for them to raise the pay. I’m with you though, the pay is horrendous but what can we do?
Low unemployment SHOULD help but so far wages have remained flat. Scary to think what will happen when the economy turns south again.

In 1999 an entry level dispatcher at AWAC started at $12.98 an hour. Adjust that for inflation, and $19.48 is what they should be getting paid today. What do they actually get paid? $14.85 an hour.

Stop and think about that.

The regional airlines beat everyone's butt including pilots a starting A@P is in the same boat with about the same starting pay as a starting dispatcher and a starting A@P has generally gone to school for 18 months vs a dispatchers 5 to 6 weeks and spent far more money. But at the major level dispatchers run away with the pay far more than us A@P's not to mention CASS which we don't have. Kind of incredible that the starting pay hasn't really changed in all these years. My point being you guys still have the best return on investment in all of aviation unless you decide to stay at the regional level which a friend of mine has done and she is still a broke dispatcher.

Last edited:

To educate people. That was the point of the post. Let people know about the realities of the profession and industry they work.

Back