Discrimination against non-drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Well honed system of air traffic control"? If you are talking about the United States, you give me a break.

I've been a controller for 21 years. I've been lurking around these forums for a quite a while (I'm also a pilot and like to read up on the latest aviation talk). I only started posting on this forum recently after seeing just how misled/uninformed some of you applicants are.

I didn't mean to offend you. You may very well be a great controller one day. However, stress is stress. If you are scared to drive (which I'm guessing you are), you will most likely implode having to handle many planes at once! Keep in mind, we controllers basically tell the plane where to go! The pilot just hits a few buttons.

As a side note- have you considered starting at a lower level facility? While I'm not familiar with the Las Vegas area, I would guess McCarran is a level 10 or 11 facility. Unless you have previous experience, that's pretty high for a first tower position.

I have seen far too many trainees cave under pressure and wash out. I just want to warn all aspiring controllers. Best of luck to you.

I didn't claim the system was perfect, or as strong as it should be, but I assume that both you and I have flown safely as of yet due to some sort of proficiency. Now, have you been in a car accident?

Yes, due to many helpful posts on this forum, I'm hoping to start out at VGT (North LV airport), which is a level 7. LAS is just that - my "dream facility", and with all of the military controllers from Nellis, and Indian Springs AFBs, I doubt I'd get in there on my first try, anyhow. I'm not entirely deluded.

It seems more people discourage on these forums than encourage, but of course, they always preface it as a "warning". I don't think I've ever read someone say they love their job as a controller, and though they would not recommend it to everyone, that it was fulfilling. You never hear of the people who succeed and do themselves well -- only those who "wash" and are so overcome with stress that they keel over and perish.
Even military folk, and emergency room physicians don't bitch and whine like controllers. What is it?

Ha! A few years ago, a CTI student pretty much told me to F off and to stop crushing his dreams when I warned him against wanting to go to ORD for his first assignment. Pretty much got the same response when I mentioned the paycuts, IWRs, or "contract" while in CTI school, probably because the school administrators (or at least the ones I was working with) continue to tell students that they'll be making 90K right off the bat. That and they insist that their ciriculum will prepare you for controlling traffic ANYWHERE, however you tell them you're reading the 7110 and they ask you "why are you reading that book?", but knowing the parts of an aircraft engine, where they all go, and how they work together is going to help me control airplanes. I also think, like the CTI kid you were dealing with, everyone I went to school with wanted to go to either ATL, N90, A80, DFW, or ORD...hoping for SAV :panic:

It seems more people discourage on these forums than encourage, but of course, they always preface it as a "warning". I don't think I've ever read someone say they love their job as a controller, and though they would not recommend it to everyone, that it was fulfilling. You never hear of the people who succeed and do themselves well -- only those who "wash" and are so overcome with stress that they keel over and perish.
Even military folk, and emergency room physicians don't bitch and whine like controllers. What is it?

Me like my job. Job good. Me love my job.

It's just trainees and manglement I can't stand:panic:

based solely on her posts here I kind of doubt it :eek:

Just trying to be nice. Seems like whenever you tell the (honest) truth, you're accused of being bitter or insecure. No wonder I don't often get involved in online message boards!

Just trying to be nice. Seems like whenever you tell the (honest) truth, you're accused of being bitter or insecure. No wonder I don't often get involved in online message boards!

I stopped caring about that long ago my friend. :laff:
stick around, we only have one vocal controller and we could use some advice from someone else's perspective too.

Now, have you been in a car accident? Never

I don't think I've ever read someone say they love their job as a controller, and though they would not recommend it to everyone, that it was fulfilling. They do love their job, they wouldn't stick around otherwise. They're simply tired, stressed, and frustrated. Which you haven't experienced, yet. My father loves being a controller and takes an tremendous amount of pride in his work. In the old days he'd come home and play ATCsim and was in general a happy person, but the mandatory overtime compounded with the IWRs, etc. have left him as I described above. He gives advice on these forums based on his experience in the job, as a trainer, and a father of a potential controller and pilot. So take it for what it's worth. You never hear of the people who succeed and do themselves well -- only those who "wash" and are so overcome with stress that they keel over and perish. That's because that's what is happening. People are passing OKC who have no business making it to a facility and then the FAA is surprised when they wash. And the people who are still holding on have been there for two years and checked out on two positions. You cannot sit there and pretend that how the FAA is handling things is right and that they have no hand in helping the new hires commit career suicide by sending them to the busiest facilities in the world. (Amount of new hires passed A80-0 ATL-0 N90-0 etc.)

I really don't care but i am bored and at work.....ERAC aka enterprise rent a car is the only rental car that is worth a dam that will allow 18 -20yr old to rent a car but it has to be for isurance purposes. Which means the insurance company is paying the rental bill. You do not have to have full coverage....erac employee has to verify that the renters insurance will cover a third party vehichle...oh yeah there coverage has to cover the cost of the vehicle....Overall in the state of Texas, liability insurance follows the driver no matter whose car they are driving....I know this because I am a former ERAC'R....Go big GREEN!!!

someone needs to ban this bitter, whining wench :nana2:

i'm so sick of listening to victimized cry-babies

It makes as much since as another one of her post about throwing a Vietnamese baby in a microwave if she doesn’t hear something about her announcement soon.

This thread has spun out of the realm of usefulness I'm afraid. Time to put it to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back