Discrimination against non-drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, now, just beacuse they called you on the rental car excuse it's no reason to get nasty about it

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"
-Robin Hood(1973):panic:

It was a pedantic quote; of course I'm going to say something.

"Stay at home in your mind. Don't recite other people's opinions. I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Why are you so opposed to getting your license for no other reason than to just have it? You WILL need it in probably less than 5 years. Just go get it sometime relatively soon and if you want to drive you'll be able to.

EDIT: I see from another thread that you said you are married---does your husband (my bad) have a drivers license?

Why are you so opposed to getting your license for no other reason than to just have it? You WILL need it in probably less than 5 years. Just go get it sometime relatively soon and if you want to drive you'll be able to.

Because it's insipid to go through hours of practicing, spending money on lessons or coercing family or friends to help, simply to yield a 3-and-some-odd inch square of laminated plastic that I am not going to use nor care about. You don't go to Target, and just pick one up - it's a time investment.

Do you go to school just to "have" a degree?

Edit: I'm a chick, and yes, my Husband has a license, but due to some pretty serious familial circumstances, we're temporarily living 2,500 miles apart. I'm working on getting out to him as soon as possible. No, he's my not my personal chauffeur, before you ask! My ego would never allow it.

At Enterprise you can rent a car if your 18-21 but must have full coverage insurance. And, it can only be because your car was in a wreck and is being repaired. 21 and over, in most cased you don't pay anything extra and you can rent for any reason.

Because it's insipid to go through hours of practicing, spending money on lessons or coercing family or friends to help, simply to yield a 3-and-some-odd inch square of laminated plastic that I am not going to use nor care about. You don't go to Target, and just pick one up - it's a time investment.
spending money on lessons??? are you serious?! you obviously havent ever driven a vehicle.....its not rocket science....just go borrow a car (or rent one lol) then take it to an open parking lot and drive around for a little bit....the pedal on the left is the break, the one one the right is the accelerator. (left means stop, right means go)...thats pretty much all you will need to know about driving.:whatever:

At Enterprise you can rent a car if your 18-21 but must have full coverage insurance. And, it can only be because your car was in a wreck and is being repaired. 21 and over, in most cased you don't pay anything extra and you can rent for any reason.

This is true, I had to do this a couple of times when my car was in the shop for repairs. Thankfully the rental was free of charge through the insurance.:nana2:

I wouldn't be able to live without a license and a car. They are my independence. If I want to get up and go somewhere right now, I can. I wouldn't have to wait for someone to pick me up or wait for the next scheduled bus to pass through...

spending money on lessons??? are you serious?! you obviously havent ever driven a vehicle.....its not rocket science....just go borrow a car (or rent one lol) then take it to an open parking lot and drive around for a little bit....the pedal on the left is the break, the one one the right is the accelerator. (left means stop, right means go)...:whatever:

I don't really think that it is so simple. One can be as skilled of a driver as possible, but you still cannot account or compensate for every other schmuck on the road who could potentially harm you. I learned that the hard way, and haven't ever really felt safe ever since.

I don't really think that it is so simple. One can be as skilled of a driver as possible, but you still cannot account or compensate for every other schmuck on the road who could potentially harm you. I learned that the hard way, and haven't ever really felt safe ever since.

This is true, but do you know what they do in lessons? They don't even bring you to a parking lot... they put you right on a road and tell you to drive. You learn by doing.

Well, you do need some modicum of proficiency to be able to pass the driver's test... therefore a driver's license DOES take TIME and MONEY. Most of my friends back in high school failed their first driver's test, even though they had months of driving experience. (This is in California. Not sure about other states.)

Anyways, what about the original question? Does it matter or not?

I have a driver's license, but the answer would be interesting.

Well, you do need some modicum of proficiency to be able to pass the driver's test... therefore a driver's license DOES take TIME and MONEY. Most of my friends back in high school failed their first driver's test, even though they had months of driving experience. (This is in California. Not sure about other states.)

Anyways, what about the original question? Does it matter or not?

I have a driver's license, but the answer would be interesting.

I've been in California for a week so far....has anyone here ever heard about turn signals???:confused:

If you are too nervous to drive, you may want to rethink about becoming a controller, especially at McCarran.

Practice, take the damn test and you will have your license.

Not having a valid license will VERY likely raise a red flag (though it probably won't disqualify you). Do you really want to take any chances, however, especially with the way the FAA is run today? The last thing you want is some HR guy to discard your application because hes too lazy to look into your driver's license situation and has thousands of other applications to look at. And believe me, it happens.

I don't want to sound mean, but your excuses are really not making sense.

If you are too nervous to drive, you may want to rethink about becoming a controller, especially at McCarran.

Practice, take the damn test and you will have your license.

Not having a valid license will VERY likely raise a red flag (though it probably won't disqualify you). Do you really want to take any chances, however, especially with the way the FAA is run today? The last thing you want is some HR guy to discard your application because hes too lazy to look into your driver's license situation and has thousands of other applications to look at. And believe me, it happens.

I don't want to sound mean, but your excuses are really not making sense.

I'm not "too nervous" to drive, nor an anxious person, and you know nothing of my personal background or aptitude at this position. There is a remarkable difference between a well-honed system of air traffic control, and the highway and interstate system that welcomes the senile, reckless kids, substance abusers, and Southern folk onto their routes.

Also:
Statistics:
Aircraft accident: 1 in 11 million.
Automobile accident: 1 in 5,000.

Going by that, I'm more likely to get in a car crash than get this position.

Besides, who are you? 3 posts? Give me a friggin' break.

I'm not "too nervous" to drive, nor an anxious person, and you know nothing of my personal background or aptitude at this position. There is a remarkable difference between a well-honed system of air traffic control all based on the controller's ability to do his job, just as driving is based on the ability of the driver to watch for everyone else on the road and drive defensively, and the highway and interstate system that welcomes the senile, reckless kids, substance abusers, and Southern folk onto their routes. As opposed to nervous/incompetant student pilots, professional pilots who don't listen, etc. who inhabit the air traffic system.

Also:
Statistics:

Besides, who are you? 3 posts? Give me a friggin' break. And this is relevent how? You're basing his aptitude and ability to form an opinion on how many time he has posted on the forum? Cause that makes a whole lot of sense :panic:.

Sooo does anyone actually know why we are asked whether or not we have a license and what difference it makes, if any?

Just get your freakin license. You're going to need it in your FFAA career and personal life. What if you don't get the facility you wanted? Is your boyfriend going to drive you every day?

I'm not "too nervous" to drive, nor an anxious person, and you know nothing of my personal background or aptitude at this position. There is a remarkable difference between a well-honed system of air traffic control, and the highway and interstate system that welcomes the senile, reckless kids, substance abusers, and Southern folk onto their routes.

Also:
Statistics:

Besides, who are you? 3 posts? Give me a friggin' break.

"Well honed system of air traffic control"? If you are talking about the United States, you give me a break.

I've been a controller for 21 years. I've been lurking around these forums for a quite a while (I'm also a pilot and like to read up on the latest aviation talk). I only started posting on this forum recently after seeing just how misled/uninformed some of you applicants are.

I didn't mean to offend you. You may very well be a great controller one day. However, stress is stress. If you are scared to drive (which I'm guessing you are), you will most likely implode having to handle many planes at once! Keep in mind, we controllers basically tell the plane where to go! The pilot just hits a few buttons.

As a side note- have you considered starting at a lower level facility? While I'm not familiar with the Las Vegas area, I would guess McCarran is a level 10 or 11 facility. Unless you have previous experience, that's pretty high for a first tower position.

I have seen far too many trainees cave under pressure and wash out. I just want to warn all aspiring controllers. Best of luck to you.

As a side note- have you considered starting at a lower level facility? While I'm not familiar with the Las Vegas area, I would guess McCarran is a level 10 or 11 facility. Unless you have previous experience, that's pretty high for a first tower position.

I have seen far too many trainees cave under pressure and wash out. I just want to warn all aspiring controllers. Best of luck to you.

Don't waste your breath. While some have listened to me over the last half year about starting out in a level 6-9, others have PM'd me privately and called me out on here not so privately telling me that I don't know **it from shinola.

Have at it...my son needs a job in 3 years.

Don't waste your breath. While some have listened to me over the last half year about starting out in a level 6-9, others have PM'd me privately and called me out on here not so privately telling me that I don't know **it from shinola.

Have at it...my son needs a job in 3 years.

Ha! A few years ago, a CTI student pretty much told me to F off and to stop crushing his dreams when I warned him against wanting to go to ORD for his first assignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back