Discrimination against non-drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

venividibitchy

Upon reviewing (and agonizing over) my application, I recalled one question that's beginning to nag at me -- "Do you have a valid driver's license?".

Now, I live in NY, and us folk would need to be suicidal to drive to work. I haven't needed a driver's license, as we have a lovely public transportation system here, and my state ID has been enough for every job I've ever done. It is not a requirement for any position here, unless the duties of the job require you to operate a vehicle at some point.

I figure I'm now going to be lumped in with those who have DUIs, or had their licenses revoked for excessive tickets, or somesuch. I've been reading online, and it appears that some agencies use it as a mark of "maturity", which I find really hard to believe -- that sounds like discrimination. The requirements page did not list a "valid driver's license".

If it's merely for identification purposes, then they gave no option for those with a state ID.

What's the deal?

Why wouldn't you go to the dmv then and get a license just to have it? You never travel anywhere outside of NY? Even if you never own a car or drive around where you live, a license would be good to have if you travel so you can rent a car if need be. I knew several guys in the military that didn't have licenses for the same reason you state (didn't have a need for it in their hometown) but I couldn't tell you how much of a burden they were on everyone else because someone always had to be responsible for them to chauffeur them around to and from work and other events and make sure they were there on time.

I don't know why it would matter whether or not you have a license other than the fact that you would have to get to work somehow when you're hired. I agree with justme62... even if you don't ever drive anywhere, it's good to have. I have a cousin who lives in Manhattan and got his license anyway in case of an emergency. It's also helpful when he travels... he can now rent a car. When you get to OKC, you may end up wishing you had a license so you could do that.

Why wouldn't you go to the dmv then and get a license just to have it? You never travel anywhere outside of NY? Even if you never own a car or drive around where you live, a license would be good to have if you travel so you can rent a car if need be. I knew several guys in the military that didn't have licenses for the same reason you state (didn't have a need for it in their hometown) but I couldn't tell you how much of a burden they were on everyone else because someone always had to be responsible for them to chauffeur them around to and from work and other events and make sure they were there on time.

Hmmm, well, mainly because I direct my funds to where they need to go most - like, you know, my education (read: po' ass student) and my general health (food, shelter, etc.). All of the overtime in the world wouldn't pay for car insurance, nor a car or gas. I'm not bitching, I'm being completely honest with you.
If you've ever been here, you'd know there's nowhere to park. No one drives here. And even, say, I did want to rent a car in another place, I'm under 24, and legally unable to.

Besides, I don't think I've ever once asked anyone to "chauffeur" me around. If I get a job here in NY, then the trains/subway are fine (somehow they're adequate for 20 million people), and if I get my dream job in NV, then I will be only living a few minutes away from the airport anyhow.

Maybe sometime soon I'll have more choices, but I just don't want to be disqualified for it now, dig?

Not a bad idea just to get the license. And I think you can rent cars under 25 in some states. I have done it before although I'm over 25 now so I haven't paid that much attention to it lately.

And even, say, I did want to rent a car in another place, I'm under 24, and legally unable to.

Yep...you CAN rent a car as early as 18 years old in pretty much every state. I worked for the airlines when I was 18, and traveled a LOT. Rented in ALMOST every state...

Maybe sometime soon I'll have more choices, but I just don't want to be disqualified for it now, dig?

I don't think this would be considered grounds for disqualification... I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've had a few interviews for internships and whatnot throughout college and they asked whether or not I had a license to make sure I'd be the one responsible for getting myself to and from work.

I understand where you live right now you don't have anyone chauffeuring you around. The guys I was stationed with never did that back home either, but once you are out of that environment (for you, once you get to OKC) you might end up having to rely on others if the public transport system isn't that great in the new place, kwim?

I've been to NY, have family in the Bronx, so I know all about the driving there, no parking, and the fact that they have a great public transport in the area. (Have family in DC also, and just got back from there this weekend -they also have a great public transport system).

I wasn't telling you to get a car or anything like that -just the license.

And FYI, you can rent a car under the age of 25, I've done it myself numerous times, you just end up getting charged extra per day for being a liability. The most extra I've been charged for being under aged was $25 per day. You just have to look around. The companies I've rented with were Enterprise and Alamo.

Geez, I can rent a car in NY (why I would want to - I don't know) and Michigan - I'm really jumping to go there.

Apology, please?

Alamo:
alamokt5.jpg

Avis:
avisur4.jpg

Enterprise:
enterpriseok1.jpg

Hertz:
hertzra2.jpg

:yup: Ha. I rented the car from Alamo in Michigan, and was already 21 by the time I started renting from Enterprise (rented from them 4 or 5 times).

No apology. You are saying you cannot rent at all period being under 24, and clearly, you can.

Geez, I can rent a car in NY (why I would want to - I don't know) and Michigan - I'm really jumping to go there.

Apology, please?

Nope...not apologizing..but will direct you to my previous statement of MOST states will allow a rental under 25. The majority of those that you posted DO allow under 25 rentals...they just charge an underage fee. That's all I was saying! ;)

:yup: Ha. I rented the car from Alamo in Michigan, and was already 21 by the time I started renting from Enterprise (rented from them 4 or 5 times).

No apology. You are saying you cannot rent at all period being under 24, and clearly, you can.

Given, I stand corrected, but I'm still ineligible, being 19.

I'm guessing that not having a license shouldn't really be a problem, but why don't you just go get one so you never have to worry about it? Having a license doesn't mean you have to own a car or buy insurance so what's the deal? Just get the license to say you have one.

Just because you do not have your L's does not mean you’re going to be disqualified. However, your reasoning for not getting your L's is weak. Just because one has a license does not mean they HAVE to buy a car:banghead:. There is nothing in state law that says you MUST have a car. Also it only cost $17 (give or take) to get one.

In regards to the excuse for rental cars, most rental agencies do rent cars to adults over 18 and under 21. There’s an extra fee. And this I can say with a 100% guarantee. Go the extra mile and call the company you have listed as an example.

Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent which are used to build monuments of nothingness.

"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent which are used to build monuments of nothingness."

That sounds like some hackneyed, craptacular sorority quote intended to motivate the plebs.

"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent which are used to build monuments of nothingness."

That sounds like some hackneyed, craptacular sorority quote intended to motivate the plebs.
youll have to get it sooner or later.....there really arent many cities (if any) you can live in and travel to your facility via public transportation.

Now, now, just beacuse they called you on the rental car excuse it's no reason to get nasty about it

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"
-Robin Hood(1973):panic:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back