Diet Pills and Ephedrine

Skeeter

Not sure where this post went. Posted it, but I guess it didn't take.

This might be useful to some of us. Just heard from an MD yesterday that many of the diet pills that alot of people take have the Mu Huang root (think thats it) which is a natural form of Ephedrine. Well, guess what ephedrine shows up as on a pee pee test. Amphetamines. /ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif

Whenever I take the Whiz Quiz, I put down that I take

"herbal suplements" multi vitamins and motrin. Motrin has been know to hit a false Pos, as well and any number of the herbal stuff better safe than sorry My biggest fear is they labs screw up the test,

This may have been asked before, but is it true or a myth that eating anything with poppy seeds in it will result in a false positive on a drug test? Thanks.

SUBSTANCES THAT CAN CAUSE FALSE POSITIVES ON A DRUG TEST

AMPHETAMINES

Over-the-counter cold and allergy remedies that contain ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, propylephedrine, phenylephrine or desoxyephedrine: Nyquil, Contact, Sudafed, Allerest 12 Hour, A.R.M., Triaminic 12, Ornade, Tavist-D, Dimetapp, Sinex, Neosynephrine, Actifed, Bayer Select Maximum Strength Sinus Pain Relief Caplets, Contact Non-Drowsy Formula Sinus Caplets, Dristan Cold Caplets, Maximum Strength Sine-Aid Tablets, Maximum Strength Sudafed Sinus Caplets, Maximum Strength Tylenol Sinus Gelcaps, No Drowsiness Sinarest Tabs, Sinus Excedrin Extra Strength Caplets, Cheracol Sinus, Drixoral Cold and Flu, Efidac/24, Phenegan-D, Robitussin Cold and Flu, Vicks Nyquil.

Over-the-counter diet aids containing phenylpropanolamine: Dexatrim, Accutrim

Over-the-counter nasal sprays: Vicks inhaler, Afrin

Asthma medication: Marax, Bronkaid tablets, Primatine Tablets

Prescription medication: Amfepramone, Cathne, Etafediabe, Morazone, phendimetrazine, phenmetrazine, benzphetamine, fenfluramine, dexfenfluramine, dexdenfluramine, Redux, mephentermine, Mesocarb, methoxphenamine, phentermine, amineptine, Pholedrine, hydroymethamphetamine, Dexedrine, amifepramone, clobenzorex, fenproyorex, mefenorex, fenelylline, Didrex, dextroamphetamine, methphenidate, Ritalin, pemoline, Cylert, selegiline, Deprenyl, Eldepryl, Famprofazone

MARIJUANA

Over-the-counter NSAIDS: Ibuprofen; Advil, Nuprin, Mediprim, Motrin, Bayer Select Pain Relief Formula, Excedrin IB Caplets, Genpril, Haltran, Ibuprin, Midol 200, Pamprin, Trendar Cramp Relif Formula, Cramp End Tablets, Medipren, Rufin, Naproxen, Aleve, Ketoprofen, Orudis KT.

Prescription NSAIDS: Anaprox, Tolectin, ifenoprofen, flurbiprofen, oxaprozin, Ansaid, Clinoril, Dolobid, Feldene, Indocin, Lodine, Meclomen, Motrin, Nalfon, Naprosyn, Orudis, Relafen, Voltaren

Over-the-counter allergy preparations, sleep aids and antinausea medications that contain promethazine: Phenergan, Promethegan.

Riboflavin (vitamin B2), Dronabinol, Edecrin

COCAINE

Amoxicillin, tonic water, Ampicillin and most Antibiotics.

OPIOIDS

Poppy seeds, Emprin, Tylenole with codeine, Capital with codeine, Margesic, rifampicin, Vicodin, Percodan, Percocet, Wygesic.

BARBITURATES

Fiorinol, Donnatol, some sleeping pills, antiasthmatic preparations that contain phenobarbitol, Dilantin.

BENZODIAZEPINES

Most prescription sleeping pills and anti-anxiety medication.

LYSERIC ACID DIETHLAND

Migraine medication: egotamine, Ergostat, Cafergot, Wigraine, Imitrex Hydergine, bromocription, methysergiside, lisuride, lysergol, Artane, triprolidine, amitriptyline (Elavil), dicyclomine (Bentyle), antinausea medications that contain promethazine: Phenergan, Promethegan.

Jesus. So the moral of the story is don't ever get sick if you're a pilot. Seems like it's all too easy to get a false positive, how do you guys walk that tightrope? Thanks Eagle, for all the work you put into that response- it should be required reading for everybody on this site.

FYI: When I went for my first class medical, the AME said to not write it down b/c the FAA doesn't like to see it...but it's not on the "Prohibited" list either. He even called the AOPA to ask about it and they said it's not banned....just not advised.

Steve

Back