Desparately seeking Ohio aviation job

flhrci

I am seeking any help I can get getting a STABLE CFI or any other type of pilot position in the Ohio area. Right now I live in Columbus, OH.

I am a 37 year old male CFI. I have 574 hours TT and 158 hours of dual given. My qualifications include CFI-A, CSEL/CMEL-IA, AGI and IGI certificates.

Relocation out of state at this time is no longer possible unless I can get help from a perspective employer as I have been burned twice already moving out of state for work and consequently losing the job or resigning from a misrepresented, dead-end job.

This coming Tuesday I have an appointment with a bankruptcy attorney as I have been pretty much wiped out financially. I am only able to preserve my pickup truck right now and that may be affected by the bankruptcy. Lack of income is the reason. My financial problems started over two years ago when I had to leave the military. Working as a civilian avionics technician did not work out for me so I decided to become a professional pilot after already having my Private certificate. That brings me here to today after several CFI jobs that were not what they were stated to be, I am now desperate and living with my mother for the third time in two years.

If anyone out there knows of anything in the Ohio area, please let me know. A copy of my resume is available upon request.

Thank you,
David

You probably won't see much of anything as far as a CFI job goes till May or June. Even then I'm going to imagine that most schools are probably fully staffed with the amount of furloughs. Finding STABLE CFI work in Ohio is a challenge. Not many 141 schools around these parts. Best bet I would say is look for a job at a college that has a aviation program but they wont be looking for new CFI till fall time if they are looking at all. Winter is not a good time to be looking for a CFI job. I would say just call up every FBO that is within a reasonable drive of where you live and see if you can get any work. Also look in the jobs available section of this website I saw a job for pipeline patrol in Texas that is looking for pilots who have 500TT. That would be a decent paying job that you would get some good hours in. Best of luck to you.

Very sad to hear your story - I think it's one that folks looking to get into the professional side of aviation should definitely read.

There really wont be anything for a while, and there is nothing stable about being a CFI here in winter. You can count on very few flyable days a month, and when it is flyable batteries will be dead, frost will be stuck to the wings, students can change schedules around fast enough etc etc. Have you looked around the Cincinnati area much?

Wish I could help man, but I'm sorry to say that it's nice to hear I'm not the only one who's hit a wall at every company I've worked for. In my case, it wasn't misrepresentation, but I can say that I've worked as a CFI twice, been a freight pilot, been an FO and capt at one airline and an FO at a different airline, and a contract FO on a King Air. Since becoming a professional pilot in April of 2000, I only have about 1700 more TT to speak of. It's good, quality time but I've seen my share of bad luck and consequence of choices. I'd say economy is to blame for most of my bad luck.

falconvalley sorry to hear bout your bad luck. Care to go into more detail about what has went wrong in your career? 1700TT seems extremely low for a span of 8 years. You shoulda been able to get way more than that just CFI over the past 8 years. PM me if you dont wish to explain on here

Flhric,
Hey man, sorry to hear everything that is going on. I don't think you should limit yourself to Ohio. I know that IFTA in Bakersfield, CA is hiring. Good pay, very, very good A/C and they are a big stable company with foreign students who are not going away. Another one to look at Sierra Academy, again decent school, but I"ve been away from there for over a year and half. I know you've been burned before, but don't limit yourself to Ohio.

You probably won't see much of anything as far as a CFI job goes till May or June. Even then I'm going to imagine that most schools are probably fully staffed with the amount of furloughs. Finding STABLE CFI work in Ohio is a challenge. Not many 141 schools around these parts. Best bet I would say is look for a job at a college that has a aviation program but they wont be looking for new CFI till fall time if they are looking at all. Winter is not a good time to be looking for a CFI job. I would say just call up every FBO that is within a reasonable drive of where you live and see if you can get any work. Also look in the jobs available section of this website I saw a job for pipeline patrol in Texas that is looking for pilots who have 500TT. That would be a decent paying job that you would get some good hours in. Best of luck to you.

Called very one within decent driving distance. Could only get back my previous CFI job in Delaware which is a start. But no students to have.

Oh well. Keep trying.

David

Very sad to hear your story - I think it's one that folks looking to get into the professional side of aviation should definitely read.

I agree.

I jsut foudn out from the attorney today that no student loan, even if private can be written off in bankruptcy any more. I have around $45k in loans out.

My truck is also worth $10k too much for bankruptcy exemption. The only way I can save it is to go chapter 13 and buy the equity from the bankruptcy trustee over a year's time. Around $10k.

Only other option is to sell it and use the money to buy a POS car and pay on bills, the ndo chapter 7.

David
David

There really wont be anything for a while, and there is nothing stable about being a CFI here in winter. You can count on very few flyable days a month, and when it is flyable batteries will be dead, frost will be stuck to the wings, students can change schedules around fast enough etc etc. Have you looked around the Cincinnati area much?

Haven't tried around Cincy yet. Not sure what's there. Have to look. I know Sporty's is there.

David

Flhric,
Hey man, sorry to hear everything that is going on. I don't think you should limit yourself to Ohio. I know that IFTA in Bakersfield, CA is hiring. Good pay, very, very good A/C and they are a big stable company with foreign students who are not going away. Another one to look at Sierra Academy, again decent school, but I"ve been away from there for over a year and half. I know you've been burned before, but don't limit yourself to Ohio.

I am not limiting myself to Ohio but financially, and jstu for a few months hopefully till I get this bankruptcy hting done or I get a decently paying job and other arrangements made. I jsut can no longer afford to mvoe again and need to lvie with my Mom for awhile. :(

I know I will have to move again to stay in this business.

David

I have a POS car for you. It doesn't leak any fluids, great compression, will do 75 mph all day long without a shimmy or overheating. Has 2,000 miles on new tires, is well maintained by professional shop. Everything works. Current reg, clear title. $1,000 You can pay me when you can.

I keep tellin ya to come out here. I have two bedrooms available. I offer to you free rent until end of Feb or mid-April, BYOFood. Interviews have commenced. You show up, you have a job. $1,800 + 600-900/mo tips. Bring your A game for crosswinds.

Richard

Richard5 thats awesome you can help him out like that. There needs to be more guys like you. I would say take the offer if you can get a job there.

Interviews have commenced. You show up, you have a job. $1,800 + 600-900/mo tips. Bring your A game for crosswinds.

Richard

Looking at your profile, is this job in Arizona?
I'm currently in Southern Utah after a couple of layoffs from flight schools as a CFI/CFII, and am currently unemployed, and searching desperatly looking for a job. If its not a problem could I get some more info?

Have you checked the cleveland area?

One of my former students went to a place in Cleveland to get his CFI ticket. Apparently the school is looking for a bunch of CFI's for the Indian and Chinese students that they have. He told me I should go there too, but I passed since I am happy working in Mississippi. I can't remember the exact name, but he said they were in affiliation w/ Kent State University. I am sure a quick google search could find them. I will try and search around and send him an email for specifics.

***I think it was Premier Flight Academy. They have the international students and are affliated with Kent State. I will double check to be sure though, but I am 90% certain this is the place he was talking about.

here's an option. It will pay better than most (about $2400 a month + bonuses) and you WILL build ALOT of time. Instruct at ATP. They have schools all over the country and provide housing to their instructors for about $300 a month. You'll get a FREE regional jet course to go along with it.:nana2: I went to ATP. Any questions PM me.

Back