Delta's 777 crew rest area......Doug have you seen the small hotel.

Tim

Delta\'s 777 crew rest area......Doug have you seen the small hotel.

Doug have you seen the 777 crew area. Its like a small hotel. There are only 3 or 4 converted. Once I saw the area it made me realize how big the 777 is. The area is in the over head of 1st class and in overhead of coach. I will take some pics soon and post them.. Its hard to believe until you see it. Doug I think the ships are 7001, 02, 03. You should check them out.

Re: Delta\'s 777 crew rest area......Doug have you seen the small hotel.

Do you think those partitions are removable so the crew can join two of the bunks together and become members of the mile high club?

Ethan

Um, who needs a single bunk for mile-high club membership, much less two slid together?

I doubt Doug has frequent access to the 777s, as aren't they crewed out of ATL only?

They are out of CVG also...and I believe Doug is ATL based now also.

I think he will be ATL based as of the 31st.

I'm ATL-based as of Jan 31st and all 777's are crewed with ATL pilots.

I've seen the rest facilities online but not in person yet.

And about the mile-high thing, I'm sure a 59 year old captain weeks from retirement and a 55 year old flight attendant really haven't much interest!

I know some of the Int'l FA's are rather old and wrinkley. I agree I cant imagine them joining the Mile High club. Doug I am now working with the Supertug again here in ATL but maybe we will run into each soon...

Tim is the Supertug the tugs that haul MD-11, 777s, etc etc? Those look ultra cool to drive. My wimpy tug at work only gets to pull GIVs and such. Would like to get my hands on one of those once.

[ QUOTE ]
My wimpy tug at work only gets to pull GIVs and such. Would like to get my hands on one of those once.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can relate to those wimpy little tugs. While I was working at an FBO our supertug was the one that ran the most consistent.

I got the in-between tug that deals with 737s. Although, I think it could probably handle something bigger....if we had anything bigger.

And I have to push my aircraft
confused.gif

At work the type of tug we have is the type that the airlines use as baggage cart tractors. It is the same model ours just might have a bigger engine on it. It does the job just fine though with F900s, GIVs and smaller, and many other A/C. Not sure it could handle a GV or GLEX cause we dont have the tow head for one.

We are getting a new tug here in ATL in June. Its suppose to handle any widebody aircraft. Its to big for narrow bodies. One of the coolest things about the tugs is that they can tow and 777 or MD-11 at gross weight. Its done slowy but can be done. Ours have 565 HP mercedes desiel engines. I will get some pics of them.

Awesome! When moving A/C around ATL for ground ops or mx schedules what procedures do yall have to use? I mean do you have a truck follow acting as a "Wing Walker" and does somebody sit inside to ride the brakes? Not too familiar with airline ground ops so just curious.

Here's the rundown for MCO (which is a LOT different than ATL). Plane pulls into the gate to offload pax and bags, hook up the tug and wait, maintenance rides the brakes (smaller stations ramp supervisors do it since there is no maint), jetway pulls back. It's a three-man operation (maintenance on the brakes, guy driving the tug, and a wing walker). We tow it off to the side of the terminal or down around this nicely landscape area on the other end. Chock the tires, unhook the tug, drive back, and repeat. We do this 5-6 times a night. First time you do it, it's a little scary. I've never seen someone hit a plane, but I've seen the wing tips get REALLY REALLY close.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
maintenance rides the brakes

[/ QUOTE ] what's that?

Kristie, that refers to a maintenance person sitting in the cockpit ready to hit the brakes if the tug should break away or lose control ... that way the person on the aircraft brakes could stop the airplane before it hit another airplane, or the terminal, or people on the ramp.

Fl270

Well here at CVG when a aircraft is gonna be here for the night most often a 777 or MD-11.

After it has been unloaded and everything maintence will drive over from the hanger to the gate and start the engines and taxi the aircraft over to the hanger minus a tug super or otherwise.

I have seen them do this with anything from a 757,767,777,MD-88 and MD-11's when I work late nights.

Do they not do this in ATL Tim?

I often always wondered why maintence was allowed to taxi aircraft around the airport. (And I can't)
grin.gif

Matthew

Dude! You guys smashed my bag!
smile.gif
I'd hate to see what would happen with rampers taxiing the plane around the airport!
smile.gif

Back