Delta

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
Looks like DL wants to start hiring pilots internally as well as dispatchers...not sure how well that will work out.

Home

All kidding aside, it's a good time to be a twentysomething (or even a thirtysomething) and have aspirations of becoming a pilot. Of course, if Delta would be kind enough to cover my expenses at said Flightsafety program it would certainly make this a bit sweeter, but hey, it's a lot easier to swallow $45K in debt when you have a defined career path already set for you that gives you a reasonable means to pay that debt off.

Apparently delta still has a hiring pooling floating around from since May anybody know about this? Are they actually going to have a class before the year end?

i've heard they hired a group from the existing pool and will start by the end of the year. i believe the class is a mix of internal and external applicants.

i've heard they hired a group from the existing pool and will start by the end of the year. i believe the class is a mix of internal and external applicants.
5 externals, 2 internals. Class starts next month. I’m not sure where the externals come from.

What are folks' thoughts on making a transition from dispatch to pilot? If your airline (whether major or regional) were to offer a chance to become a pilot would you take it, or stick with dispatch?

What are folks' thoughts on making a transition from dispatch to pilot? If your airline (whether major or regional) were to offer a chance to become a pilot would you take it, or stick with dispatch?

All depends on your career ambitions, I suppose. There are at least four guys I know from my prior airline that have or are in the process of making the transition.

I would personally stick with dispatch, but I have known people that made the transition. I've met other people that wanted to make the transition but never did. I have also met a few pilots that didn't seem to understand why I wouldn't want to be a pilot instead of a dispatcher.

I'd do it in a heart beat. Actually, my company does offer some path to doing it, the only problem for me is how do I pay the bills and take care of my family while I go through 2 years of training?

I personally would do dispatch. I thought about becoming a pilot but after my first day of jumpseating that changed. It’s pretty boring most of the time. Also, there is A LOT of waiting around due to flow, mx delays, weather, etc. Not to mention being away from your family half the time. If you can get on with a major then the difference in pay isn’t a big issue. When you’re raking in $200k a year at the top out not including OT what is an extra $150k really worth at that point?

It all comes down to personal preference. Do what is best for you.

Back