Delta pressing in on SWA

Austin is lacking a lot of gate space, hopefully the new terminal will resolve that issue when it's completed.

In my opinion (I am not qualified at all) DL is launching this and a few other flights out of Austin to retain gate space and keep some compition from encroaching on the gates they currently posses. If it all goes to plan for Delta, the point to point within Texas flights will probably stop and be replaced with other routes. AUS-ICN 😍

AUS is 100% zoo. 20 lbs of stuff is a 10 lb sack. Did a layover there with a 0500 report. I figured easy get a cuppa Joe and maybe a breakfast burrito on the way to the airplane, but the entire terminal was completely mobbed. Every single food place had lines 30-40 people deep.

On taxi out, the entire terminal ramp was ringed with aircraft remote parked. Thought provoking in low vis considering the taxi lane had 3 centerlines.

During COVID, the entire city looked like a stand in for the Walking Dead.

AUS is 100% zoo. 20 lbs of stuff is a 10 lb sack. Did a layover there with a 0500 report. I figured easy get a cuppa Joe and maybe a breakfast burrito on the way to the airplane, but the entire terminal was completely mobbed. Every single food place had lines 30-40 people deep.

On taxi out, the entire terminal ramp was ringed with aircraft remote parked. Thought provoking in low vis considering the taxi lane had 3 centerlines.

There isn’t a ramp tower there either is there? I did a couple trips in and out a couple months ago but I think we were timed for slow times of day.

That’s because half of California lives there now lol

Delta used to have that whole DFW hub thing and I'd imagine they retained quite a bit of Texan corporate contracts from those days as a majority of Delta premium flyers apparently do not live in an existing Delta hub and instead connect most always. Sleeper cells.

Austin is lacking a lot of gate space, hopefully the new terminal will resolve that issue when it's completed.

In my opinion (I am not qualified at all) DL is launching this and a few other flights out of Austin to retain gate space and keep some compition from encroaching on the gates they currently posses. If it all goes to plan for Delta, the point to point within Texas flights will probably stop and be replaced with other routes. AUS-ICN 😍
The current Frontier first started flying with the very limited space left at Denver Stapleton flying all around Montana with 737s for a few months. Once DIA opened and Continental's hub closed overnight leaving Concourse A (planned as the CO terminal) empty, Frontier dropped almost every original route and started MDW/PHX/LAX/SFO ect. Montana was simply a way to keep the planes and employees going.

Yeah, I've only arrived there at night, and rolling around R3 next to the line of Delta jets parked on the remote stands is a little nerve wracking. It says you can do it based on a 737 wingspan, and you definitely can, but it doesn't look like you will be able to

Yeah, I've only arrived there at night, and rolling around R3 next to the line of Delta jets parked on the remote stands is a little nerve wracking. It says you can do it based on a 737 wingspan, and you definitely can, but it doesn't look like you will be able to
Lol flashbacks to having to call SFO Airport Ops trucks out because A380s were fairly often scared to pass 747s and 777-300ERs. It's funny how the math can be there but from the cockpit it looks terrifying.

Last edited:
Lol flashbacks to having to call SFO Airport Ops trucks out because A380s were fairly often scared to pass 747s and 777-300ERs. It's funny how the math can be there but from the cockpit it looks terrifying.
It sure does. I used to be one of the people doing those analyses for the manufacturer and I still can't get over it. It doesn't help that I got to see how many airports in the US operate with waivers to go below minimum separations. Having done the safety studies to request those waivers, I understand the margins are still good, but it doesn't make it any less nerve wracking. Especially in the 757 where we often park with the other narrowbodies but are restricted to just some of the gates or taxilanes since most narrowbody only areas are designed with a max wingspan of 118' and we're 135'. In those cases I just need to talk to myself "ok, everything is behind their respective limit lines, there's no wingspan restrictions on the taxi chart or by NOTAM, just take it slow and keep the centerline nailed". It's also the first aircraft I've taxied where you can't see the wingtips from the cockpit, and having to use vanishing points on the windows to gauge clearance instead of just turning around and looking out takes a lot of trust.

I dunno if they’re still doing the whole thing where late at night approach works approach, tower, and ground, but my thought even a few years ago was “this place is way too busy for that”

Virgin 232G

Lots of European carriers file their flights using alpha numeric callsigns instead of just the flight number. Helps to avoid confusion if similar sounding flights are in the area.

Only carrier in the US that does it with any frequency is SkyWest. They will often have the same marketing number in air at the same time or close to it, and you can’t have two with the same number at once. I was once “SlyWest 737 Uniform” going DEN-TUS one day and I may have bet my Captain no one would notice me calling it “SkyWest 737 Unicorn” then some ABQ Center controller went and cost me a case of beer…

That's their flight number. Most other countries have no numbers in their registration. They add numbers in their flight numbers when they have two flights with the same number airborne at the same time.

Lots of European carriers file their flights using alpha numeric callsigns instead of just the flight number. Helps to avoid confusion if similar sounding flights are in the area.

Only carrier in the US that does it with any frequency is SkyWest. They will often have the same marketing number in air at the same time or close to it, and you can’t have two with the same number at once. I was once “SlyWest 737 Uniform” going DEN-TUS one day and I may have bet my Captain no one would notice me calling it “SkyWest 737 Unicorn” then some ABQ Center controller went and cost me a case of beer…

That wouldn't be a UK registration as they are all letters starting with G-, they just do goofy things with their flight numbers.
Thanks all! :)

Back