Delta pay/payraise//benefits cuts talks?

The union agreed to talk with the company about some type of contract adjustment. Of course the raises they just got plus taking another pay cut will be the hottest topic of discussion.

Stand up for yourself DALPA members! Please don't give in, the airline employee concession stand is now CLOSED. DL management bonuses are based on how well they "reduce costs". Therefore, giving monetary (pay rate) concessions is like taking money out of every Delta pilot's wallet, and handing it directly to Leo Mullen for his own personal gain. It makes me sick to see DL furlough pilots (despite a contractual no furlough clause), and then call pilots on their days off for inverse assignments (junior manning), AND having to cancel flights due to lack of pilots! (Especially on the 737)

Just my 2 cents worth, but since I'm furloughed, can you please give them back when you're done?

[ QUOTE ]
Posted on Sat, Jun. 14, 2003

Delta pilots to look at pay cut
By Harry R. Weber
The Associated Press

Pilots at Delta Air Lines are among the highest-paid in the industry, with some veterans making as much as $250,000 a year.

ATLANTA - Delta Air Lines' pilots have agreed to discuss a wage cut proposal. Analysts say it's the first step on a long road to returning the struggling carrier to profitability.

The decision was made after the Air Line Pilots Association wrapped up three days of meetings Thursday night. A union memo released Friday did not say what its strategy would be during negotiations or what its position was on the requested concessions. A spokesman did not return repeated phone calls seeking comment.

"A lot still has to be done," said Raymond Neidl, an analyst with Blaylock & Partners in New York. "The change is going to happen. The change is necessary. It's a question of how soon they can implement it."

In April, Delta said it wanted to cut pilots' hourly wages by 22 percent, cancel pay raises due over the next year and reduce some benefits.

Delta also wants to rescind a 4.5 percent raise its pilots received May 1 and a similar raise due next May.

A union finance committee has said it doesn't support the company's proposal. Delta's pilots are some of the highest-paid in the industry -- some veterans make as much as $250,000 a year, analysts say.

The committee's stated position and speculation about the union's desire to get something in return for concessions -- from better pension benefits to promises of no large bonuses for executives -- could spell trouble for a quick resolution to negotiations, analysts say.

"Hopefully it won't be contentious," Neidl said.

In April, American Airlines won $1.8 billion in annual labor concessions from its employees after saying it would have to file for bankruptcy without them. It hasn't come to that yet at Delta, but analysts say it may if the airline doesn't bring its cost structure down.

James Owers, a Georgia State University professor who specializes in corporate restructuring, said the wage cuts are important for Delta if it wants to avoid the fate of rivals US Airways and United, which both filed for bankruptcy.

"It's crucial because they now have competitors on almost all of their routes domestically with dramatically lower cost structures," Owers said. "Without concessions, Delta has a future that would be distressingly similar to US Airways and United."

Delta, which lost $1.3 billion last year and $466 million in the first quarter this year, has said it needs to cut costs to survive and has targeted pilot wages as part of that effort.

Atlanta-based Delta, the nation's third-largest airline, has reduced its work force by 16,000 since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. It also has furloughed hundreds of pilots.

On Friday, the union said it would file a grievance next week protesting the continued furlough, particularly those attributed to the Iraq war.

The grievance will assert that the continued furlough of these pilots is no longer justified by the effects of the war and other factors.

Both sides can kiss my ass!

<insert Charleton Heston line here>

End o' story!

who said the pilots agreed to talk? that's all union reps speaking for the pilots in which case, i haven't heard a single pilot say he's willing to even speak about concessions (union reps must want to line their pockets too eh?)....

not only that - but i've heard nothing but negative from all the pilot's wives... i'm hoping the unions are going to start listening to the people they're representing or us wives just may have to step in and make some decisions for the union reps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's important for everyone to know that not only does the union represent the pilots - but also the pilot famillies including wives and children (we all pay the monthly fee, don't we?)... and if they don't smart up, us wives are going to start roaring loudly cuz they continue to mess with our families while taking credit for "doing a good job"!!! I don't think too many wives have spoken up lately cuz we expect the union to represent our pilots as we think they will and they're just not completing that one task - even agreeing to "talk" is what, the pilots i've talked to, don't want....

speaking of - i'm thinking that we should not only get the pilots to call union reps, congress reps and so forth - but why not get the wives & kids (the ones that are old enuff to understand) in on the move and start voicing 3 times the amount roar????

I say every one of the 35 management people (not just Mullin - that doesn't CUT it!) that received a bonus, salary raise, pension plan, retirement security etc etc this past year - needs to recind the deal or the pilots should absolutely NOT talk... fair is fair and this is just not playing fair!!

it's getting beyond the point of ridiculous now!
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
In April, American Airlines won $1.8 billion in annual labor concessions from its employees after saying it would have to file for bankruptcy without them. It hasn't come to that yet at Delta, but analysts say it may if the airline doesn't bring its cost structure down.

[/ QUOTE ]

BAH! wanna hear what ticks me off more? saying stuff like this - expecting the public to believe that the pilots should ALLOW concessions when there's no mention whatsoever in this article that had DELTA MANAGEMENT not spent the however many MILLIONS of dollars on securing their own futures - DELTA probably wouldn't even be looking at the possiblity of "following the footsteps of other airlines"!!!

What do the analysts know (i bet they're not saying A LOT) ? apparently, they're not taking all past and future costs into consideration because this could easily be thwarted by repairing past crimes and undoing the executive safety net that was spent in march!!!

I consider what Delta management did (in securing their own paychecks over the paychecks of all employees) a deplorable crime and injustice to all the employees and families of Delta Airlines... Every single one of them should have their head on a platter for what they've done to ruin what Delta Airlines used to be - a family....

truth be known!!

Kristie trust me I know how you feel, I work for the widget here in ATL on the ramp. I fully understand whats going on. Management wants to reduce cost anyway they can but they forget that sometimes when you cut to much labor ( Ron Allen's 7.5 disaster) you lose more. Back then we lost some of the most loyal passengers ever. Our planes looked like a kindergarden class has just got done with activity time. Cabin service contractors could have cared less how it looked ( for $5 an hour who could blame them). I have seen alot of junk here since '91 when I started. We all know the union reps want some glory out of this. I am glad though that I am not in a union because when TWU tried to get in here you could see the ones who would benefit the most and it wasnt the majority. They had single out some here to help push for a union and those guys and gals were getting some nice perks. I hope for the pilots sake that they dont get screwed to much. We all know management will still get there perks. Oh yeah under their pension plan I read the other day in a interview with Michelle Burns 5 more people were added to it. Trust me the non union people here are just as frustrated as the rest but we are glad we have somewhere to go every morning and the blue envelope on the 15th and 31st is still clearing the bank.

well come to the world of greed!!!!!!! I worked for a company that had 130,000 employees 3 years ago. Now there is 30,000 employees. The jag bags in high management was building themslves a golf coarse before the stock fell...God knows what elese these exec. probably did. You name it: classy hotels everytime they travel, expensive furniture in their offices......greed is everywhere. Hell, 1000 sq. feet houses go for 500K to 800K, here in Chicago, and middle class people are buying them..........I suppose in time their recklees spending will catch up to them when they go to retire. ....Who's making out with them-banks, realitors, and government....greed is everywhere

ALPA is the AirLine Pilots Association, often referred to as simply 'the union'

Kristie- I agree, us DAL pilot's wives need to get together and make our opinions heard!

I used to say that being furloughed was the worst feeling in the world, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone else. (I'm an AA furloughee) But I've changed my mind, I wish it on Leo.

[ QUOTE ]
Both sides can kiss my ass!

<insert Charleton Heston line here>

End o' story!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. I don't give a rats ass for unions (coming from a right to work state), but at the same time, don't give a rats ass for management either. Both sides have their greedy agendas.

Guess I'll stay a mil pilot for a while, if I can stand the BS I deal with for much longer.

Well we know Leo isnt going anywhere we just have to suck it up I guess. I guess what is going on now could be compared to Ron's 7.5, what a disaster that was. I know every airline is suffering but its awful funny how they (management) says we have to cut this or that but just to let you know we have 2.3 billion in cash plus numerous assets. The ramp here in ATL is suffering big time. Today one of the gates is working with a 2 man gate crew and all the planes today are 757's. You know what is happening there. Widebody gates are working with 3 man crews. The GOM (Ground Ops Manual) states that at pushback there must be at least 3 people for pushback. Seems that one crew is short one.

[ QUOTE ]
It makes me sick to see DL furlough pilots (despite a contractual no furlough clause), and then call pilots on their days off for inverse assignments (junior manning), AND having to cancel flights due to lack of pilots! (Especially on the 737)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention laying aside 75 million for a new airline and buying 100 new RJs ...

[ QUOTE ]
Kristie- I agree, us DAL pilot's wives need to get together and make our opinions heard!

[/ QUOTE ]

are you ready to really do that? just me, myself and my hubby can't do it alone - we need voices....

any voices on your end that want to be heard??? we need the people that will help us be "one" with no backing down...

we're looking for voices!! i'm gonna get FCAPA (Familes of Commercial Airline Pilots Assoc.) back up (even if it's just one page & forum to shout out to "our" families one and all cuz we're all family no matter what airline... but i need backup and support in doing so... I'll probably be putting possibly (not sure yet) a petition together to show management and all the other airlines that us families (esp. the wives) mean business...

when it comes to use wives - if the husbands/sig others/pilots aren't being heard, hear the roar of the wives/husband/supporters!!! it's been tooo long incoming, American, United and US airways weren't heard and American/United/US Air/Delta and all the other airlines should all be heard as one voice!!

I need sig others and supporters who want to give a story or speak out about how the airlines treat them, how they perceive the new security, new benefits, new non-rev avenues.. any new material that would be of relevance for FCAPA.ORG

let me know if you have anything.... whether good or bad...

ATLANTA (AP) -- Delta Air Lines and its pilots union open talks Tuesday to discuss wage concessions.
Delta has said it wants to cut pilots' hourly wages by 22 percent, cancel pay raises due over the next year and reduce some benefits. The airline, the nation's third largest, also wants to rescind a 4.5 percent raise the pilots received May 1 and a similar raise due next May.

A finance committee of the Air Line Pilots Association's Delta branch said it doesn't support the company's proposal, but union leaders have said they are willing to work with the airline to formulate a cost-reduction plan.

American Airlines won $1.8 billion in annual labor concessions from its employees after saying it would have to file for bankruptcy without them, following the path of rivals US Airways and United.

Delta lost $1.3 billion last year and $466 million in the first quarter this year. The carrier has reduced its work force by 16,000 since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and has furloughed hundreds of pilots.

Delta shares fell 31 cents Monday to close at $14.68 on the New York Stock Exchange

Nope, screw em, "Queer as Folk"-style.

(insert Charleton Heston quote here)

With that attitude you might want to get your application in with Airtran.....

DL can not be competitive with its pilot costs so far beyond the industry. Can DL limp along? Sure. But it will be ugly and it will mean no growth for the mainline pilots or pilots in the future.

[ QUOTE ]
With that attitude you might want to get your application in with Airtran.....

DL can not be competitive with its pilot costs so far beyond the industry. Can DL limp along? Sure. But it will be ugly and it will mean no growth for the mainline pilots or pilots in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, taking on the webmaster on his own site! I love it!
smile.gif

Besides, when SWA starts flying to Montana, and Air Tran introduces service to CDG... aww nevermind.

[ QUOTE ]
Nope, screw em, "Queer as Folk"-style.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug I'll trade you my "if you don't want to be in the news for doing something stupid - don't do something stupid" quote for this one! Too damn funny.

As for MedFlyer, man, nice knowing you but mouthpiece, propaganda for management puts up about as much fight on this forum as the Iraqis did in the war. In otherwords it just doesn't fly.

Any airline that has enough money to start a new airline, guarantee management pensions (while the employee fund is underfunded by about $2-4 billion), and then buy 100 new RJs does not have any leverage whatsoever in forcing paycuts on any labor group let alone pilots. Want to cut costs? Put the $75 million set aside for "Song" back into Delta's books and work on the airline they already have.

Back