Delta opening new hire window?

Oops. Mesaba, not PCL on my story above.

Good information, dasleben!

But people don't listen anyway, that's the bitter pill I have to take.

People don't listen period. You would not believe how I have to chase people to sign up for our retirement plan; they would rather throw away the company match because they are so lazy to sign up.

And in 2010 I helped about 50 members here with resumes. I told them DH's (the"D" can stand for lots of things) airline was hiring, most turned up their noses. Now, they are mostly beating down the door after the company stopped accepting internal recs. We are trying our best for a select few.

But people don't listen anyway, that's the bitter pill I have to take.

I think people do lots of weird stuff without thinking about it. There are all kinds of "My airline is better than yours" posts, which we've all been on the receiving end of from time to time. Personally, I don't come out swinging against any airline; if I get that certified letter tomorrow saying that we've shut down, the next job opportunity may have just been scuttled by my own words the day before.

HRDiva beat me to it...You can destroy future opportunities in a hurry by not watching your posts.

My concern is that some folks are always out to say the "right" thing not what they truly believe-like a politician would. Whether here on the forums, back at the flight school, or at my current job- some folks are just petrified of the "aviation is a small world so don't rock the boat!" syndrome. A certain amount of disagreement and dissent are *good* things. I respect people who will stand for their principles, and say or do what does not conform when their judgment calls for such things. A certain amount of speaking one's mind (respectfully) I think is a mark of character and courage.

Question here, DAL is just about the only place I want to go. I've had LOR's to get into the regional world, but I know no one in DAL. I tend to have quite a bit of jumpseaters on my flight, but I feel its a little weird to just ask for a LOR. Whats the best way to go about it? I come from a family where I am the only person in aviation, so I don't have much to go with.

SteveC said:
It's not a bitter pill - it's career Darwinism in action. Embrace it!

:cool:

Not every pilot is supposed to take that mainline brass ring job.

Much like not every student is supposed to go to college.

89-LX said:
Question here, DAL is just about the only place I want to go. I've had LOR's to get into the regional world, but I know no one in DAL. I tend to have quite a bit of jumpseaters on my flight, but I feel its a little weird to just ask for a LOR. Whats the best way to go about it? I come from a family where I am the only person in aviation, so I don't have much to go with.

You tell them...

"you know, I've always thought about working for Xyz, may I get your number or email address so I can keep in touch about the company and for the future?"

It's not tough, just don't yell "GIMME A RECOMMENDATION, MEOW!!"

You tell them...

"you know, I've always thought about working for Xyz, may I get your number or email address so I can keep in touch about the company and for the future?"

It's not tough, just don't yell "GIMME A RECOMMENDATION, MEOW!!"

You see meow, I thought that would be the best idea to do at the time, but I will go about it that way meow.

MEOW.

Go to NJC.

Make connections.

Profit.

I'd love too, but I'm stuck on reserve and I dunno if I can get that day off. I am at the mercy of the schedulers sticking their band in my butt and using me as a puppet.

I used to fly with a captain who carried his resume with him on every flight (2004), and would give it to every UPS, FEDEX, SW jumpseater. Its a little in your face for me, but he had an interview with all 3! He ended up at UPS....later got in trouble with the law, but thats a story for vegas!

My concern is that some folks are always out to say the "right" thing not what they truly believe-like a politician would. Whether here on the forums, back at the flight school, or at my current job- some folks are just petrified of the "aviation is a small world so don't rock the boat!" syndrome. A certain amount of disagreement and dissent are *good* things. I respect people who will stand for their principles, and say or do what does not conform when their judgment calls for such things. A certain amount of speaking one's mind (respectfully) I think is a mark of character and courage.

Depends on the topic.

If you're debating aviation issues in a cogent, reasonable manner, sure.

However, if it's "Battle Royale" every other post, you've just told me that you're going to be the type of guy where ground school comes to a screeching halt because you want to debate minutia or you don't have the ability to say, "Hmm, perhaps my previous employer did things this way, but this is the new procedure now".

All I want to hear through the gravevine about any of my recommendees is "He's a good guy" or (comically) "amazing a person could be so in to ping-pong", not "don't get him started on politics, oh boy, won't make that mistake again".

Courage and glory are things best left to paintball with the boys on weekends. Hardly anything in our epaulet-wearing, clip-on tie having, stoo-made-the-coffee-too-bitter world requires either.

Depends on the topic.

If you're debating aviation issues in a cogent, reasonable manner, sure.

However, if it's "Battle Royale" every other post, you've just told me that you're going to be the type of guy where ground school comes to a screeching halt because you want to debate minutia or you don't have the ability to say, "Hmm, perhaps my previous employer did things this way, but this is the new procedure now".

All I want to hear through the gravevine about any of my recommendees is "He's a good guy" or (comically) "amazing a person could be so in to ping-pong", not "don't get him started on politics, oh boy, won't make that mistake again".

Courage and glory are things best left to paintball with the boys on weekends. Hardly anything in our epaulet-wearing, clip-on tie having, stoo-made-the-coffee-too-bitter world requires either.

3qddus.jpg

!!!

Oh dear.

Well, if a jumpseater handed me a resume and asked for a letter of recommendation, I would have to politely decline.

If you kept asking lots of questions about my employer, seemed like a honest, motivated and you asked if you could have my email address so you can hit me up for some guidance on how I got there or how you can move your resume toward the top of the stack, then there is a possibility that you could potentially get a LOR after I learn about your motivations and character.

Recommendations are a big deal when you're at a carrier where you think you're going to be at for the rest of your career. One "doozy" by haphazardly giving one out to someone who haz epic fail may mean that your name is mud and the good people you know that you have flown with or at least have a substantial character reference for lose out because of one poor recommendation.

I get asked for LOR's all the time but I'll generally only give them out to people who I've already decided are worth the risk -- generally that decision was made months, if not years before they got off their tookus and asked.

Sent from my TRS-80

So can I have a LOR then?

Kidding aside, I always ask about the company, hiring, growth, contract, their plans, etc with every Delta jumpseater. They all seem cool, except for one who bitched about the regionals and how the CR9 is a better aircraft than his 757. But I seem to get quite a bit where I'm the PM, and I wouldn't feel it right asking when I can show them my radio working and gear swinging skills. I think it would be more appropriate to ask for further information from them when they can see my hand flying, radio work, crew communication, etc. Part of me just feels outright weird asking to stay in contact though. I feel like I'm in a toilet stall asking for the neighbor for toilet paper or something.

So can I have a LOR then?

Kidding aside, I always ask about the company, hiring, growth, contract, their plans, etc with every Delta jumpseater. They all seem cool, except for one who bitched about the regionals and how the CR9 is a better aircraft than his 757. But I seem to get quite a bit where I'm the PM, and I wouldn't feel it right asking when I can show them my radio working and gear swinging skills. I think it would be more appropriate to ask for further information from them when they can see my hand flying, radio work, crew communication, etc. Part of me just feels outright weird asking to stay in contact though. I feel like I'm in a toilet stall asking for the neighbor for toilet paper or something.
Well you could always just wipe crap with your hands....

I’m responding to your recent e-mail to **** regarding pilot hiring at Delta.
censored.gif
I’m glad to hear that you’ve progressed so well in your aviation career and that you’re still interested in flying for Delta Air Lines.
censored.gif
In 2000 I was working on the introduction of the B767-400 into the fleet along with Captain Jerry Tate, my fellow CLCP on the -400 so you obviously have a good memory.
censored.gif

Delta is not currently hiring but we anticipate resuming hiring sometime in 2013.
censored.gif
The best thing you can do to be competitive is to ensure that your application is current and accurate and to update it at least every 60 days.
censored.gif
I don’t anticipate hiring a lot of folks in 2013 but the future looks very bright since we will need to replace over 7,500 pilots in the next 15 years.
censored.gif

censored.gif

Tom, I wish you much success as you continue to pursue your professional aviation career!
censored.gif

Best regards

Xxxxxxxxx

Back