Michael Stewart
@PensacolaNewsJournal.com

No one was injured when a Delta MD-80 airplane landing at Pensacola Regional
Airport ran off the runway Friday night with 140 passengers and five crew
members on board.

Incoming flights into Pensacola were canceled Friday night after the
incident about 6:30 p.m. Runway 17 is the only one where instrument landings
are allowed, and fog rolling in made visual landings at remaining runways
too dangerous, Pensacola Fire Department Capt. Steve Ward said.

Incoming flights were either diverted to other nearby airports, such as
Mobile's, or the flights simply bypassed the area altogether, he said.

The incident happened when the aircraft, coming in from Atlanta, left the
end of Runway 17 and continued rolling in the dirt for another 50 to 75
yards, Ward said.

The airplane wheels sunk into the soft dirt, slowing the airplane down. He
said there was no visible damage to the aircraft. Friday night, a crew from
Atlanta was brought in to try and figure out how to get the airplane back on
solid ground.

The cause of the accident was unknown Friday night. The Federal Aviation
Administration is expected to investigate.

Film clip at: http://www.weartv.com/

Airport Diagram at: http://www.aopa.org/images/asf/taxi/00318AD.pdf

Interesting!

I don't know Doug well. But do you think he would tell us if it was him?
blush.gif

I believe I read in another post that he flew home last night, so it couldn't have been him though.

Doug flies a MD-88/90, not an 80.

On a side note, I didn't know that an MD-80 could hold 140 passengers.

I don't actually think it was him, just added it as a joke! Nice to here no one was injured though and the plane is minimally damaged if at all.

Ahh...Good point. Didn't even think about the 80.

I know it was a joke. Just trying to post something in the forum, trying to meet new people.

I guess I should have put a smiley face by my post. I didn't mean for my post to seem like I was a jerk, just posting that what he flies isn't the 80.

Btw, MrLeisure, nice to see you on the boards.

Thanks - It honestly came across as to me as whoa sorry I posted that! But I understand now.

Thanks for the welcome!

I believe for Delta the MD-88 is the 80. They fly the MD-90 and the MD-88.

AA calls their 80s the Super 80s (these could be the exact planes Delta refers to as MD-88s)

I am sure Doug could clarify it all.

I am sure many others would be better to answer this question. But the difference in the 80 to the 88 is cockpit, passenger interior, and the engines. The 88 having the better of all 3.

Being only 16-years-old I have little knowledge on things like this. But this is what I understand the difference is:

MD88 - Fly further. Can take more weight. The MD88 uses P&W JT8D-219's as the MD80 uses P&W JT8D-209's.

I am aware there is more- If there is please add on, as my knowledge can grow as well.

Totally off topic.......but Irrupert, may I ask which cockpit you are sitting in your avatar? I know its definately Airbus....319?320?321?330?340?.....also which airline?

Also Adam....where did you get that picture of that Delta 757? That has to be the best picture i've ever seen of any 757!

Yes! I was curious about what flight deck you were in!

Adam - Airliners.net man, the only place for good pictures! I thought it was splendid shot, so I put it up!

[ QUOTE ]
Doug flies a MD-88/90, not an 80.

On a side note, I didn't know that an MD-80 could hold 140 passengers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Delta only flies MD-88's we have no MD-80 or series 82 or 83 jets.

As was explained to me by an MD-88 pilot here @ CVG the major difference between an MD-80,82,83and an MD-88 is in the cockpit.

The MD-88 is a special version of the MD-80 that was exclusivey ordered by Delta not sure if anyone else flies the 88 but prolly not.

Anyways the 88's are EFIS'D out where as the MD-80-83 jets have only the "steam dials" and gauges. Not sure if the 88's have better/improved engines vs. the older 80's-83's.

Also there are alot of versions of the MD-80 jet some are larger then others and carry more passengers and some have better range etc,etc.

But like always Doug will have the final say on this subject.

Matthew

[ QUOTE ]
Totally off topic.......but Irrupert, may I ask which cockpit you are sitting in your avatar? I know its definately Airbus....319?320?321?330?340?.....also which airline?

Also Adam....where did you get that picture of that Delta 757? That has to be the best picture i've ever seen of any 757!

[/ QUOTE ]

He got the pic. from A.Net the pic. was taken @ DFW. If you all are wondering how I know that pic. is currently my wall paper on my desktop.
grin.gif

Had it on here for months. Haven't been able to take it off cause it is the best pic. of a 757 that I have seen ina long time.

Matthew

Adam,

That is me sitting in a JetBlue A320. A group of students from UND went to NYC this past fall and one of our tours was of JetBlue. They were so accomodating to all of us. It was such a great time.

Guys, I think it is highly inappropriate to post references to incident with the implication any member especially the founder could be involved. Questioning Doug's or any other member’s professional capacity is highly disrespectful.

Back