Delta Hiring - August 2022

Yep. We're full.
FTbiazGX0AAkQLG.jpg

Highly doubt that. After their internal class, they'll have the 510 dxs that they needed.
That’s what I’ve heard…from multiple people. Even heard it earlier this week. Still a rumor though.

Just curious, with over 500 dispatchers, is there any kind of overtime still available? I mean I know there’s always the last minute sick calls and vacations, but it seems that can be pretty well managed with 500+ dispatchers.

Hearing rumors of a class in August, can anyone shed light on this? My friend mentioned they think it is due to promotions and retirements... Though this soon after the pandemic I don't know how many will retire with that package they offered.

Hearing rumors of a class in August, can anyone shed light on this? My friend mentioned they think it is due to promotions and retirements... Though this soon after the pandemic I don't know how many will retire with that package they offered.
Don’t know a precise date but it’s “likely” there will be another class “this fall”

Don’t know a precise date but it’s “likely” there will be another class “this fall”
From contacts I have talked to, I have heard it most likely will be another internal only class. Delta does not want to continue to take from their regionals as it will hurt the DeltaConnection operation

Optimistically speaking for anyone, the class this spring was supposedly going to be all internals but according to a previous post on here from a DL dxer they hired 0 internals and only 4 from their regionals. Everyone else (12) was external. Perhaps DL will do similar again. I get the hiring internals thing because they’re family, but I also see the value in hiring people with actual dx experience and not just the certificate. It will likely take nearly a year for some of those with zero experience to check out at AA (not exaggerating). Hell… it’s taking those with dx experience and even some Envoy people 9+ months to check out currently. They still have quite a few people from the September class and more than half from the October class to comp check. But that’s a story for a different thread. Sigh… Also heard through the grapevine some of United’s new hires have been struggling a bit. Supposedly an 80% failure in one class? I know they hired quite a few without dx experience as well. Not sure if they were internals or not.

On the flip side, some of my favorite coworkers are internals and I’m glad they’re here. I guess hey, if they’re lucky enough to be dealt those cards with no previous dx experience or even airline experience then good for them, get it. But the companies need to be patient and willing to put in the extra time and real effort it will take to train and mold them into excellent dxers. There’s so much info to learn, especially at the legacies with all the different aircraft, international ops, ETOPs, extensive software and more.

Anyway good luck to all, keep your heads up and eyes open. Hopefully UA keeps hiring, and DL, AA, and others open again soon for everyone.

Last edited:
Optimistically speaking the class this spring was supposedly going to be all internals but according to a previous post on here from a DL dxer they hired 0 internals and only 4 from their regionals. Everyone else (12) was external. Perhaps DL will do similar again. I get the hiring internals thing because they’re family, but I also see the value in hiring people with actual dx experience and not just the certificate. It will likely take nearly a year for some of those with zero experience to check out at AA (not exaggerating). Hell… it’s taking those with dx experience and even some Envoy people 9+ months to check out currently. They still have quite a few people from the September class and more than half from the October class to comp check. But that’s a story for a different thread. Sigh… Also heard through the grapevine some of United’s new hires have been struggling a bit. Supposedly an 80% failure in one class? I know they hired quite a few without dx experience as well. Not sure if they were internals or not.

On the flip side, some of my favorite coworkers are internals and I’m glad they’re here. I guess hey, if they’re lucky enough to be dealt those cards with no previous dx experience or even airline experience then good for them, get it. But the companies need to be patient and willing to put in the extra time and real effort it will take to train and mold them into excellent dxers. There’s so much info to learn, especially at the legacies with all the different aircraft, international ops, ETOPs, extensive software and more.

Anyway good luck to all, keep your heads up and eyes open. Hopefully UA keeps hiring, and DL, AA, and others open again soon for everyone.

It is sheer numbers. The best of both externals and internals were hired by the legacies at the start of the hiring boom. When the barrel is emptied, the bottom is scraped to fill the staffing needs. Sometimes this works out well and hidden gems are found, other times not so much.

It is sheer numbers. The best of both externals and internals were hired by the legacies at the start of the hiring boom. When the barrel is emptied, the bottom is scraped to fill the staffing needs. Sometimes this works out well and hidden gems are found, other times not so much.
I actually deleted most of that so I wouldn’t unintentionally rub anyone wrong on here, but guess I was too slow. Might as well repost it… I do agree, at the same time there’s no shortage of experienced dxers out there. Same for good internal employees though I guess. But I know quite a few good people with plenty of dx experience that have applied to the legacies and are still waiting, there hopefully shouldn’t be any barrel scraping. I wouldn’t want to know that I was hired as the leftover scraps at the bottom of the barrel lol, but I get what you’re saying. And it’s true sometimes people with no experience turn out to be some of the best, they just need that chance to be given.

Optimistically speaking for anyone, the class this spring was supposedly going to be all internals but according to a previous post on here from a DL dxer they hired 0 internals and only 4 from their regionals. Everyone else (12) was external. Perhaps DL will do similar again. I get the hiring internals thing because they’re family, but I also see the value in hiring people with actual dx experience and not just the certificate. It will likely take nearly a year for some of those with zero experience to check out at AA (not exaggerating). Hell… it’s taking those with dx experience and even some Envoy people 9+ months to check out currently. They still have quite a few people from the September class and more than half from the October class to comp check. But that’s a story for a different thread. Sigh… Also heard through the grapevine some of United’s new hires have been struggling a bit. Supposedly an 80% failure in one class? I know they hired quite a few without dx experience as well. Not sure if they were internals or not.

The April (last month) class is all internals, some with experience and some without. The 2 classes prior (Feb 2023/Nov 2022) were all external.

Couldn't have said it better myself lol

What’s been happening with the training over at AA? Heard it was taking exceedingly long because not enough trainers or something like that

Back