Delta did a Go-Around

CLE hasn't been too bad other than it not liking VFR traffic very often. Heck I have had traffic in my flight path at my altitude that they didn't even say anythign about. It is my responsibility while it is a VFR day, but those gliders are not easy to see!

Kind of another weird situation but Hopkins is the only airport I've been into where they'll position and hold somebody, position and hold the next guy in line, and then clear the first guy for takeoff. When I asked someone else about it I was told it happens every day, even when a #1 guy is a jet and #2 guy is a piston.

Your career is over. The majors keep a sekrit black book of everyone who has ever made them go around. You'll be stuck flying checks for the rest of your life.

PS. They also keep a list of who talks smack about them on message boards, so watch yourselves.

Why would the DL pilots be pissed? They got paid more this way.

Unless its the last leg of a 4 day with a tight commute home I could care less. More money for us. Yea the whole ontime thing but all I hear about is mgmt telling us about there HUGE bonuses that CJC gets when we hit our ontime percentage but strangely enough I have not seen any incentive to the pilot group to be on time.

I've never flown into CLE, but the same scenario happened in ORF on the regular.

They'd stick a jet tight behind a piston something-or-other (didn't really matter if it was 60 kts or 100, due to the closure rate)

The pilots knew ATC jammed them up, and I'm sure weren't mad at you.

When you're on approach and all that, ATC is responsible for spacing. Fly YOUR airplane safely.

I've had that exact same thing happen at ORF... they sequenced us with just enough time to speed off the active only to be followed by jet VERY shortly after... that was a fun one..

Your first and foremost responsibility is to yourself, your aircraft, and your passengers. You have your own set of problems to worry about. You can't worry about the problems of the guy behind you; that's the other pilot's job. That said, if you can be a courteous operator while still being safe, that's all the better.

I'll put it another way: If you are the last car that makes the left turn at the intersection before the light turns red, do you worry about the guy behind you that has to wait for the next one?

Don't worry too much about those Delta pilots. They are paid by the hour, so that's another 15 or 20 minutes of flight pay in their pockets. No doubt they are crying all the way to the bank.

I'm starting to see what you mean. They were using 28 again today, and they put me in right behind a Continental Jet. It was my turn to throw in the flaps, gear, and S-Turn. It may seem strange coming from a Baron, but on a 3-5 mile final it seems like the Baron is much faster than the jets. Just curious, how fast on average are the jets on final. We are usually 180 till 3-5 out then about 150 till about a mile out. I've done parallel landings right beside heavys at CLE before, and we almost always match them, if not beat them in.

:yup: LMAO, thank god I only fly cargo!
Everyone does it a little different on visuals but roughly (for the ERJ):

At the FAF at 200kts, gear down flaps to 22. Thrust idle to slow down while following the GS.

At 145kts flaps to 45 and finish slowing down to whatever target speed was calculated, roughly 120-135kts. 90% of the guys I've flown with have it configured and on speed by 1000' above TDZE (required in IMC). In VMC some guys will push it closer to the minimum which is 500'. So 1000' is ~3 miles out, so we're already configured and slowed when you're still doing 180kts.

dcramer16;915734\ Just curious said:
An RJ pilot myself....As someone said before, we're usually about 180 to the outer marker which is usually about 5 miles out, then we slow and are fully configured by 1,000' AGL and roughly at target speed (130 kts +/-) a couple seconds later.

We could go at it much faster but at least my company stresses the "Stabilized Approach Concept." Fully configured by 1000' and everything how it should be by 500'. No decelerating to approach speed at a mile out. I would imagine most jet operators operate similarly and stress a stabilized approach.

As you said you're doing 150 till a mile out, that's roughly 300AGL...then you decelerate to your vref which I imagine is around 95 knots. So you decelerate from 150 to 95 in a matter of 300'. This wouldn't "fly" at our company even though we theoretically could pull'er back to idle at the end.

As you said you're doing 150 till a mile out, that's roughly 300AGL...then you decelerate to your vref which I imagine is around 95 knots. So you decelerate from 150 to 95 in a matter of 300'. This wouldn't "fly" at our company even though we theoretically could pull'er back to idle at the end.

The Baron is a piston aircraft, the RJ is a jet. You can see how difficult it would be to slow a jet from 150 KIAS to 90 KIAS within the vertical span of 300 feet at the G/S rate of descent. So, of course it wouldn't "fly" at your company. :)

Unless its the last leg of a 4 day with a tight commute home I could care less. More money for us. Yea the whole ontime thing but all I hear about is mgmt telling us about there HUGE bonuses that CJC gets when we hit our ontime percentage but strangely enough I have not seen any incentive to the pilot group to be on time.

The extra 15 to 20 minutes of flight time is probably more than the on time bonus anyways. Its a win win either way.

Back