Delta: Dark blue suit, red tie not REQUIRED...

Message received loud and clear: Pink suit. got it.
article-2687671-1F8B231700000578-294_634x897.jpg

I'm a lurker, on the sidelines, with no dog in this race, but I have yet to read if anyone has asked:
1. What color tie did @Derg wear to his Delta interview?, and
2. What is the rental rate on said tie?

Think about it Doug. Everyone has an assigned time slot, so there should be time to make the switch between interviews. You could make a little $$ to help offset your costs to keep the JC playground open. :)

Hold on, BRB.

IMG_3198.JPG

It was from "Structure" circa 1995.

Single Windsor, slightly long in the tie as per 1998.

NOT rocket science and I was already a broke regional pilot with a tie, why go buy another tie? :)

Delta is "The Bachellorette". Do you get to step out of a limo and recite a poem about your love for Delta?

I actually would really love to wear a pink tie. I am all about supporting the cause. I do feel that without a great personal breast cancer story to go along with it, it might come across as cheesy and trying to suck up. I'm sure I will see them scattered about though. Maybe a pink pin on my lapel would be more appropriate.

Hold on, BRB.

View attachment 36699

It was from "Structure" circa 1995.

Single Windsor, slightly long in the tie as per 1998.

NOT rocket science and I was already a broke regional pilot with a tie, why go buy another tie? :)

Dude. I STILL have a blue poplin dress shirt I bought from them in 1995. And it looks good as new, if you can believe that. It fits, too, despite me being 30 pounds heavier.

Ah, the great mall stores of the 90s. Swing by Orange Julius. Maybe hit up the B. Dalton. Oh, and I wanna see if they have the new Boyz II Men CD at Sam Goody. We can totally listen to it in the car, I have an adapter for the tape deck.
Well done

I actually would really love to wear a pink tie. I am all about supporting the cause. I do feel that without a great personal breast cancer story to go along with it, it might come across as cheesy and trying to suck up. I'm sure I will see them scattered about though. Maybe a pink pin on my lapel would be more appropriate.

The real question is, what specifically does wearing a pink tie or a pink lapel pin do to actually help fight breast cancer? What does "supporting the cause" mean?

Because *that* would be something interesting to talk about to a recruiter...rather than, "I like boobs...and don't want to see 'em have cancer and stuff...."

:)

Last edited:
The real question is, what specifically does wearing a pink tie or a pink lapel pin do to actually help fight breast cancer? What does "supporting the cause" mean?

Because *that* would be something interesting to talk about to a recruiter...rather than, "I like boobs...and don't want to see 'em have cancer and stuff...."

:)
I still like my pink tie in uniform.

I still like my pink tie in uniform.

Same question, though -- aside from the financial contribution to whatever nonprofit benefited from the purchase of the tie (which, hopefully is where it came from), what's the real objective of wearing the pink tie?

Wearing a pink tie does nothing to help find a cure for cancer or provide treatment for those with it. Nor does "raising awareness" actually equal any progress toward those things, as breast cancer isn't exactly some obscure ailment that, because of its obscurity, isn't receiving the attention from the medical community commensurate to the damage it does to society. More people are "aware" of breast cancer than of probably any other specific form of cancer, in fact.

Don't get me wrong -- it is a great cause to volunteer your time, effort, and money for. Just questioning the actual purpose and value of the pink tie.

Same question, though -- aside from the financial contribution to whatever nonprofit benefited from the purchase of the tie (which, hopefully is where it came from), what's the real objective of wearing the pink tie?

Wearing a pink tie does nothing to help find a cure for cancer or provide treatment for those with it. Nor does "raising awareness" actually equal any progress toward those things, as breast cancer isn't exactly some obscure ailment that, because of its obscurity, isn't receiving the attention from the medical community commensurate to the damage it does to society. More people are "aware" of breast cancer than of probably any other specific form of cancer, in fact.
Am I still allowed to wear my tie?

Am I still allowed to wear my tie?

How is this an absurd question?

Given the proclivity of major airlines to value applicants' philanthropy and volunteerism, this seems like a pretty clearly relevant line of discussion for this thread. Y'know...this thread about what to wear to a job fair for people trying to get hired at Delta.

It is an easy door to opening a discussion to be wearing a visual symbol of a cause you contribute time/money/effort to...

Don't get me wrong -- it is a great cause to volunteer your time, effort, and money for. Just questioning the actual purpose and value of the pink tie.

I used to fly with a guy whose wife had been through multiple bouts of breast cancer. Obviously a really difficult time for the whole family, two young kids and mom is constantly in an out of the hospital, on and off for several years.

I remember flying with him in October and he jokingly said to me, where's your pink tie? I said, well I was on vacation traveling for the entire month except this three day trip, and a similar vacation timeline last October, so I can't really justify buying a tie when I'm barely even here in the month people where them. He then said, I'm kidding...I don't wear one myself (and then he told me of his wife's situation).

The reason he did not wear the pink tie and never will is that his wife the breast cancer survivor asked him not to. She said seeing the pink everywhere in October is just a nauseating reminder of the worst period of her life. Almost like a trigger for PTSD of sorts.

Whether or not most breast cancer survivors are of that mentality, I don't know, but I told him in light of his story I'd probably never wear it either myself.

[And here I am on vacation again in October anyway]

Ah, the great mall stores of the 90s. Swing by Orange Julius. Maybe hit up the B. Dalton. Oh, and I wanna see if they have the new Boyz II Men CD at Sam Goody. We can totally listen to it in the car, I have an adapter for the tape deck.

Nailed it. Hot dang!

Now I'm craving an Orange Julius and a "pre-political" Chick Fil'A or Hot Dog Onna Stick.

Back