Delta/Alaska joint announcement Monday

Delta, Alaska Announce Seattle Expansion
Growth plan in Seattle includes new nonstop flights to Shanghai and Tokyo-Haneda; Boeing 747-400 service to Tokyo-Narita; upgraded aircraft interiors with full flat-bed seats in BusinessElite on key international flights
Delta, Alaska partnership provides significant customer benefits and supports expanded international service
Oct 8, 2012

SEATTLE, Oct. 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) and Alaska Airlines (NYSE: ALK) will expand international service and customer enhancements in Seattle, growth that benefits customers of both airlines thanks to the alliance between the two carriers.

(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20090202/DELTALOGO )

The growth and customer enhancements include:

Proposed new nonstop Delta service between Seattle-Tacoma International Airport and Shanghai Pu Dong International Airport, pending approval by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT).
Proposed new nonstop Delta service between Seattle and Haneda Airport in Tokyo, pending DOT approval.
The deployment of Delta's flagship Boeing 747-400 jet on flights between Seattle and Narita Airport in Tokyo, featuring a fully upgraded interior with full flat-bed seats in BusinessElite, individual in-flight entertainment in every seat throughout the aircraft, expanded overhead bins and other amenities.
Newly upgraded Boeing 767-300 aircraft on Delta's flights between Seattle and Paris, Beijing and Osaka, Japan, also offering full flat-bed seats in BusinessElite and upgraded amenities.
Additional nonstop Delta service between Seattle and John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York.
Upgraded BusinessElite service on all Delta Seattle-JFK flights to match the product and amenities of Delta's JFK service from Los Angeles and San Francisco.
Sea-Tac airport improvements including a new Delta Sky Club, new power ports throughout Delta's facilities, expanded ticket counters, lobby renovations and other improvements.
An ongoing partnership between Delta and Alaska that includes codesharing in Seattle and shared customer benefits including reciprocal lounge access and frequent flier programs.
"Delta's expansion in Seattle will link this important West Coast city even closer with key markets in Asia, boosting its economy, creating jobs and providing benefits to travelers across the Pacific Northwest region," said Richard Anderson, Delta's chief executive. "This kind of international growth is possible only because of our partnership with Alaska, and customers of both our airlines will benefit from this newly strengthened relationship."

"About 1,200 travelers connect on Alaska and Delta flights in Seattle every day," Alaska Airlines CEO Brad Tilden said. "We're very pleased to offer them a seamless flying experience, highlighted by our renowned customer service. We're also looking forward to providing travelers with new flying options to Asia on Delta that will feature significantly enhanced onboard amenities."

Soooooooooo.......................N...no Charlotte?

Okay so is it fair to say this is good news then? More mainline flying for Delta in the 747? And its not a merger?

No quotes, sir.

The public safety in air commerce required that I remove myself due to stomach flu. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemies (if I had worst enemies).

I was just saying that if you were feeling better (I wasn't implying that you're not sick!), that you should give yourself the weekend off just to make 100% sure...that's what a responsible, upstanding pilot out do!

So.. this leads to questions for the DL folks... just read that SEA-NRT is switching to a 747. Is this going to still be crewed out of DTW and does this now mean that SEA based A330 crews that have been doing Asia flying for years are now losing it to just AMS? Could this mean a long-term closure or downsizing of the SEA A330 base? I understand DL has applied for SEA-HND and also PVG but no idea what the timeline is on those and whether they will be Airbus or 767... Seems like with the extensive asia flying on the airplane, SEA would make good sense as a 747 base...

What kinda fancy-ass 767s do you have that can do SEA-PVG with a load? That's a hell of a haul.

I've heard the winglets help a LOT, and on top of that, the standard airline pax/bags/cargo loads compared to what you and I are used to is considerably lighter. I spoke with a DL guy the other day about the SEA-PEK flight and he said no real weight restrictions that he's seen...

Back