"Delta Airlines, this is a 16 year old boy from the Netherlands with you"

Bramage

\"Delta Airlines, this is a 16 year old boy from the Netherlands with you\"

Hey,
I am a 16 year old boy from the Netherlands.
I am at "middelbare school" High school, at the highest level (VWO it is called here).

I want to become a pilot at Delta Airlines and thought after my High School to go to Embry Riddle.

What do you think is the best way for a dutch-man to get a job at an American airline? I prefer Delta Airlines(I heard 95% the only take ex-military pilots, is this true?)

Re: \"Delta Airlines, this is a 16 year old boy from the Netherlands with you\"

Doug, the webmaster, would probably be able to tell you alot about that, as he is a Delta Pilot. He has no military background.

Then I'll wait till he lands on this forum
smile.gif

Hello, welcome to the forum.

Delta is a good airline. One of my top choices too. My advise however is don't put all your eggs in one basket. Think of other airlines you would like to work for, or even other areas of flying other than major airlines. You never know who will be hiring when you are ready to apply and you don't want to miss your chance because you are waiting on Delta (who may never hire you for all you know). Just something to think about. Good luck.

The 95% military thing was a product of pre-1990 Delta. Things have (had?) changed quite a bit since then.

I think as long as you have the legal right to work in the United States, you shouldn't have a problem getting hired with an American airline -- assuming that they're hiring!

Good luck!

[ QUOTE ]
The 95% military thing was a product of pre-1990 Delta. Things have (had?) changed quite a bit since then.

I think as long as you have the legal right to work in the United States, you shouldn't have a problem getting hired with an American airline -- assuming that they're hiring!

Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]
Allright, thanks for your reply.

But actually my question was: what do you think is the smartest way to get a job in the US?

This is how I think it should be best:
I can study "Aviation" in Amsterdam here an then go "stage lopen" to the US in my second year of study and visit NASA or Boeing for a stage. Then I can finish my school in the US too, so I graduate there.
When graduated, I could take part in a greencard lottery (or earlier) so I could win a greencard and become a US citizan too.

Than I am legable to work in the US and live there, and can go to Embry Riddle.

Do you think this is smart? How would you do it?

Well, first and foremost, you've got to obtain the legal right to work in the U.S. How one goes about that, I have no idea!

[ QUOTE ]
Well, first and foremost, you've got to obtain the legal right to work in the U.S. How one goes about that, I have no idea!

[/ QUOTE ]
If I win the greencard lottery I get a greencard and with a greencard you are legal to work in de US
smile.gif

ps: My prefereble home plate would be Atlanta
cool.gif
Which type of airplanes are there and wich destinations, because flying to me home land, the Netherlands, would be nice to visit some family, go to Amsterdam, or pick up family to show them around in Atlanta
laugh.gif

It's not easy to get a greencard for the US. Only 50,000 get the chance to apply each year - and only certain countries are eligible. I'm lucky as my step-mother is American. The other options are to marry an Amercian or get a 'working visa', where the employer applies for the visa. But the latter is only temporary whilst you work for that company.

Hope it goes well Bramage.

[ QUOTE ]
Dude you could take me to Amsterdam with you too!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm.. I can't imagine why you would want to go their!
wink.gif

goto a search engine such as www.yahoo.com and search for green card lottery. As an earlier post said, the green card lottery is pain in the a$$. I've known people that have tried many times and have not succeded. Also, once you have a green card, that dosn't mean you will be able to fly here. It seems as though the DOJ changes the rules every day, to the best of my knowledge, and someone PLEASE correct me if I am wrong, you need to be a naturulized citizen to fly an aircraft of 12,500 LB or greater assuming you've had no training on such an aircraft. Lately I've heard that you actually have to be 90 days current on that aircraft as well. I'm sure there are 50 differnt variations or interpratations of this rule. Just be careful and don't belive just because you win a green card lotterty, and its called lottery for a reason, that you can get a job. Best of luck to you. Like someone else said. dont put all your eggs in one basket. This goes with flight schools as well. Look into several. Dont belive all the hype you hear. Visit them and talk to the students and instructors.

[ QUOTE ]
goto a search engine such as www.yahoo.com and search for green card lottery. As an earlier post said, the green card lottery is pain in the a$$. I've known people that have tried many times and have not succeded. Also, once you have a green card, that dosn't mean you will be able to fly here. It seems as though the DOJ changes the rules every day, to the best of my knowledge, and someone PLEASE correct me if I am wrong, you need to be a naturulized citizen to fly an aircraft of 12,500 LB or greater assuming you've had no training on such an aircraft. Lately I've heard that you actually have to be 90 days current on that aircraft as well. I'm sure there are 50 differnt variations or interpratations of this rule. Just be careful and don't belive just because you win a green card lotterty, and its called lottery for a reason, that you can get a job. Best of luck to you. Like someone else said. dont put all your eggs in one basket. This goes with flight schools as well. Look into several. Dont belive all the hype you hear. Visit them and talk to the students and instructors.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your reply, this will help me out quit a little bit!

Bramage. You and me are in the same position. Were both 16 and both want to be pilots for Delta. I dont know about you but I wanted to fly for delta since I was 7 (or six). I cant really give you advice on Embry riddle because I was highly thinking of going to Flight saftey academy. But I just want to wish you luck man. And hope we will meet someday (on a flight) (Me being the captain and you the co-pilot (or the other way around doesnt matter)). Well Good luck and hope you make it.

Chears R_U_A and Bramage! same thing here, 16 Delta pilot, or airline doesn't matter, but Delta is top pick. Don't know much about the greencard lottery or anything like that, but hopefully we'll all meet in Atlanta one day and fly to Amsterdam!

Hip Hip.....
(Well? Wheres the hooray?)

[ QUOTE ]
Hip Hip.....
(Well? Wheres the hooray?)

[/ QUOTE ]

HOORAY!
grin.gif

Nice that there are more people who want to fly for Delta (who don't?! =P) Amsterdam is a nice city indeed, but Atlanta seems very nice and beautiful to me to.

Does anybody know too wether is it possible to fly from out of Florida? Like Miami?

And a question, I REALLY need advice now (yes, it is really
laugh.gif
) because next year I am goint to graduate most-likely, graduate at high-school, not at the highest level but the highest-but-one level
smile.gif

Can please somebody give me advice of what to do? How about the selections? Can I do them in The Netherlands?

[ QUOTE ]
Can please somebody give me advice of what to do? How about the selections? Can I do them in The Netherlands?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know if you have but look in the main page where it says how to get to an airline the Eurpean way. I think that should help you a bit. As far as foriegn Colleges and Unv. Ask Iain. He went to one in Europe he might help you out A TON.

Do Canadians have to deal with all that greencard stuff?
confused.gif

-FlyCanuck

Back