"Delta Airlines, this is a 16 year old boy from the Netherlands with you"

Re: \"Delta Airlines, this is a 16 year old boy from the Netherlands with you\"

I don't think so, but I may be entirely wrong. I am just guessing.

[ QUOTE ]
and someone PLEASE correct me if I am wrong, you need to be a naturulized citizen to fly an aircraft of 12,500 LB or greater assuming you've had no training on such an aircraft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you have asked for correction... and because you have scared the light out of me.... you need a background check before you get training in such an airplane, also the Attorney General’s office has to be notified. But you can fly, and train if you come out clean.

Here is a link for the PDF is anyone cares:

http://www.nbaa.org/@@QAFEAVS6MAEB/ops/security/training/FTCCPFactSheet.pdf

Btw most of us will only get close to such heavy airplane when hired by a regional, and if so than your background is going to be checked anyways.

[ QUOTE ]
Do Canadians have to deal with all that greencard stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

You bet they do! if your not a citizen of the US, then you have to get a green card first before you can become a citizen...

I have a girlfriend who is from canada and is going through the whole green card process now (she just recently got married to a US citizen)... she says it's a pain in the butt process because so many try to get through the system... but she does admit that it's probably a lot easier to get a TN status or temporary work permit (there are a ton of different types for different nations!) to be able to work here while your trying to buy time to get your green card...

and I'm betting that you have to be a US citizen in order to fly a US plane - especially after 9/11...

I can tell you that obtaining a greencard is one serious pain in the ass. I got it the easiest and quickest way (applying as a dependent on an L1 visa) short of marrying a citizen and even that was a two year process. Come here on a more common H visa and you need to go through labour certification and the whole process can take a minimum of 5 years, I've heard. AND they can pretty much deny your application anytime in the process. I applied for the greencard lottery twice with no luck before I arrived in the U.S. I do actually know 2 people who won greencards on the lottery, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The greencard lottery is a long shot and far from guarenteed. These days with tighter security, more scrutiny on immigrants (I've gone through some severe background checks already just to get the greencard, Im gonna have to go through another to get hired by an airline), and a weak economy greencards have got to be very hard to come by. Not impossible, but certainly not easy obtain.

Sorry to have to be the one to tell you the harsh truth, but thats the way things are. Your goals aren't impossible to acheive, but you have a long, difficult and uncertain road ahead if you wish to move to the U.S. and just work here, let alone work as an airline pilot or for Delta. But I hope things work out for you. Good luck.

Back