Delta Air Lines Flight 1141

Wm226

Does anyone know what happened to the Captain and First Officer after the crash? Were they allowed back to work?

According to the NTSB, the crash was partly attributed to pilot error. I don't think the Captain would have been put back on the line after putting a 727 in the dirt, but that's just me.

The FO? He's dead.
tongue.gif

I think mid-late 80's. 727 from DFW crashed on take-off because flaps/slats weren't properly set. I think they also found the warning indicator that would have prevented the mistake was inop, which led to a big smack on the hand for Delta I would imagine. Seems like there was also some controversy over them being delayed on the ground and having a flight attendant in the cockpit chatting it up on non-flight related business, which was a violation.

Do know that they use this one in CRM classes, as he was "everyone's favorite" captain to fly with, real nice guy, too nice, let the F/O do what he wanted when there was business to be done....

Do you also know that the flight crew was talking about which FAs they would like to "have some fun with", and made a comment like... "I sure hope we don't crash, because that wouldn't sound too good on the CVR." I believe they said this while lining up on the runway...

Well, I know that at LGA in Oct 1996, a Delta MD88:

Just before touchdown, the aircraft's right wing struck the approach light stancions, causing a loss of airspeed and reduction of lift. The landing gear impacted the sea wall at the end of the runway concrete, sheared off, and the aircraft slid some 2700 feet down the runway, coming to rest 180° off its original heading.

The NTSB cited two causes for the accident: 1) known flight into hazardous weather conditions and 2) an optical illusion on the part of the Captain, caused by the use of unauthorized bi-focal contact lenses.

Safe to assume that the MD88 Captain is no longer with Delta...

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I know that at LGA in Oct 1996, a Delta MD88:

Just before touchdown, the aircraft's right wing struck the approach light stancions, causing a loss of airspeed and reduction of lift. The landing gear impacted the sea wall at the end of the runway concrete, sheared off, and the aircraft slid some 2700 feet down the runway, coming to rest 180° off its original heading.

The NTSB cited two causes for the accident: 1) known flight into hazardous weather conditions and 2) an optical illusion on the part of the Captain, caused by the use of unauthorized bi-focal contact lenses.

Safe to assume that the MD88 Captain is no longer with Delta...

[/ QUOTE ]

The NTSB chief medical examiner in charge of this investigation was on our jumpseat about 6 months ago and we discussed their investigation. He stated that the bi-focal contact lenses worn by the captain were the entire reason for the accident. The FAA took no action against the crew and they are still employed today.

I asked about the first officer letting the captain descend too low on the approach...and the NTSB found the F/Os monitoring to be satisfactory. Unbelievable.

[ QUOTE ]
I think mid-late 80's. 727 from DFW crashed on take-off

[/ QUOTE ]
Thought that was it. My cousin was dating a girl who was unfortunately on that flight.

Back