Deleted post

Status
Not open for further replies.

DE727UPS

I spent about an hour writing a nice reply to the post that was deleted. I saw no harm in the question that was asked and was surprised at the animosity that was shown over the post. I think the post was deleted because of the rude responses in the thread, not because of the content of the original question. Now I'm pissed off, not because of the thread but because I spent all that time writing a response and the back button on my puter won't get me back to what I wrote because the thread was deleted.

I've seen this site go down hill over the last couple of months. It's following the path set by anet and flightinfo. It's too bad a few frequent posters that show a lack of tact and "niceness" in their posts have brought me to the point where I have to decide if it's even worth coming here anymore.

It sucks when you have to balance the positive that you know you can help young people get good advice about flying and aviation careers against the negative of having to watch and listen to certain frequent posters flame away at each other.

If you can't be nice, then...shut the hell up...

DE727,
I haven't been keeping up with jetcareers lately; what exactly was the gist of the deleted post? I think that as long as there are no personal attacks in the reply, then it shouldn't be deleted; however, it's not my place to make that decision.

I hope this board doesn't fall into the dregs of other aviation forums. This board is de facto when it comes to anything flying-related.

Somebody specifically asked me a question, of a slightly personal nature, and then several other posters took it upon themselves to flame the guy before I even had a chance to say anything. The question was no big deal. I think one of the moderators deleted the post because of the nature of the responses. It just pisses me off that folks would decide that some guys question doesn't belong on the forum and flame him about it when the person who the question was addressed too didn't even get a chance to say anything.

Argh...

T'was I.

I figured it was probably better to squelch it entirely because between 0100 and 0800 PST, the thread went down the drain with cat-like quickness.

I bear full responsibility and truly apologize for having to delete the thread, including your thoughtful response, Don!

Man, it gets a little bit like the West Bank around here sometimes, eh?
smile.gif

Thanks Doug. It must be hard making decisions like that.

This is what I would do...

Repost the question and my response, if you still have it, but leave out the flames in between. If people feel the need to flame away after that, then I guess free speech reigns at jetcareers...

You actually read my mind!

I'm digging around the MySQL database looking for it. Considering that I'm a novice, it might be a while!
smile.gif

I saw the question and saw no harm in it and was quite disapointed by the replies. I have spoken to Don on a semi-regular basis over the last couple of years, and he must be one of the most helpful guys not only about aviation but just about life in general. Unfortunately some users decide that because the have 'almost 100' posts on here, they can dictate what and what not should be asked, and use their foul attitude instead of the Doug Taylor authorized Jetcareers endorsed Message Board Light Sabre 3,000,000,000 - the proper tool for forum management.

Well certain people around here get harsh immediately. Personally I think it's either guilt or a self esteem problem.

I wish people would read their posts like it's someone they hate before clicking continue!

[ QUOTE ]
Personally I think it's either guilt or a self esteem problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is because inflection is lost in a textual format.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You rock! (You're a doofus)

You rock! (You're cool)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
EXACTLY!! (I'm pissed)

EXACTLY!! (I'm excited somebody agrees with me)

EXACTLY!! (exactly)

Some people just see things/interpret things the way they want to. The road goes both ways.

Don, that is quite sad what happened. I was really looking forward to the usual insightful post from you after reading the question. However, I didn't stick around long enough to witness the apparent chaos that ensued.

[ QUOTE ]
It sucks when you have to balance the positive that you know you can help young people get good advice about flying and aviation careers against the negative of having to watch and listen to certain frequent posters flame away at each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really appreaciate all the fantastic information I've recieved from you and everyone else on this board, whether you guys and gals have addressed me personally or I just happened to lurk and catch a glimpse of the 'real' thing from reading your posts.

Case in point: around 1-2 years ago I emailed you a question regarding flying a GA plane into a busy airport such as LAX. I got back a great response that came from a rich and varied background. I still have that email, and you helped me 'pull it off' without a hitch. I became a better pilot because I took that trip, and I started off armed and ready with knowledge from a pro.

The point is.... you can't let a few bad apples ruin the tree. People like you are what lures people like me to come to this site!

I don't remember the question, but what me and my pops spoke about earlier exactly fits the situation.
"A lot of people these days are too sensitive. They are either sensitive to opinions and/or expect responses to come back in a harsh manner. Whether good or bad."
Before engaging in any thread(responding, posting, or reading a post), we should all take a deep breath and count to ten
backwards. LOL

I didn't see the rest of the responses, but as the alleged "bad apple" who led the pack out of the gate, I will say that I found cointyro's original post patently distasteful--and I didn't mince words saying so.

I found the way it was worded to be rather "loaded", akin to something like "Isn't it hard going through life knowing that you're going to hell because you don't embrace God with every fiber of your existence (or, "because you're gay" or "because you're an Arab")?" or "Gee Doug, you probably often wish you were white, don't you?." (Yes, as distaseful as that last one seems, that's how I found cointyro's question.)

For fear of pushing a snowball off the hill....

It is not your place to say... if the person to whom the question was directed didn't want to answer it then he didn't have to. In the future if you think it's distasteful, you can always PM the original poster, Doug, or a moderator! That's MUCH better than having a public argument over it (or whatever else....)!

[ QUOTE ]

It is not your place to say... if the person to whom the question was directed didn't want to answer it then he didn't have to. In the future if you think it's distasteful, you can always PM the original poster, Doug, or a moderator! That's MUCH better than having a public argument over it (or whatever else....)!

[/ QUOTE ]

WORD!!!! I COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER!!!

[ QUOTE ]

It is not your place to say...

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure it is. It's not my place to try to moderate the board, but I'm certainly free to voice my opinion and comment on the matter, which I did. Conversely, if cointyro only wanted a response from a single person, he ought to have PM'd him directly. Ya post it in the clear, it's fair game.

FWIW, the "snowball" disclaimer wouldn't have been necessary if you didn't understand on some level that what you were about to say is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back