Decisions, Decisions...

Sorry for the suspense, but I have been out working... go figure. Supposed to have had a long layover in Philly, but after getting in at almost 2 am and the hotel being loud as could be this morning, I feel more like I was on reduced rest (like I am tonight) than anything.

Meeting went extremely well. Ended up talking to my friend for almost 2 hours about the opportunity and where he wants to go with it in the future. The biggest hitch right now is that the ink is not yet on the appropriate line, but will be in about a week or so. In laymens terms... he hasn't officially bought the business. Now the tricky part... the season starts out there in about 2 weeks, or about the time the ink dries on the bill of sale. That being said, there is no way possible (and we discussed this in detail) that I could be available and moved that fast and be ready to fly (moved, rested, applicators exam taken, etc.). He has interviewed another pilot who is a career ag pilot who is willing to go out there short term to help with the transitional period during the ownership swapover and try and help reestablish services with clients the current owner has let go during the past year or so. More than likely there will be a need for a second pilot, possibly as early as May of this year, but right now we are in a wait and see mode. He did seem happy to want me to fly for him, and wants me out there. Seems his reasoning is two fold though. Not only is he needing a second pilot that he knows and trusts, but his other business could use an entomologist with mosquito experience (that would be me) to help run operations in that part of the world as well.

Like I said, things are looking very, very good at this opportunity working out for me, but things are currently wait and see for a couple of weeks. Should know more by the middle of April at the lastest. He is supposed to go out there sometime in the next week or so, and if possible, I am going to try and get out there to see the operation first hand. From the intimate details he shared of the operation, it sounds just as good if not better than it initially did with the potential for huge amounts of growth within the first year or two. Fingers are crossed hoping for the best.

Yeah, seriously. I'm I gonna have someone to kill the boredom with in recurrent or am I on my own since you'll be gone?

More than likely will be there with you in recurrent.

Last night sucked... 3.5 hour delay getting out of MEM. Everyone (gate agents, ramp tower, rampers) were waiting for us to leave so they could go home.

More than likely will be there with you in recurrent.

Last night sucked... 3.5 hour delay getting out of MEM. Everyone (gate agents, ramp tower, rampers) were waiting for us to leave so they could go home.

Yeah, so was the RRL CA. :)

Granted, after you guys left, I had to wait on CHA to finally get off the ground.

Yeah, so was the RRL CA. :)

Granted, after you guys left, I had to wait on CHA to finally get off the ground.

Heh... If we had had any more delays and had missed our 0300Z time (already had missed the 0233Z time), more than likely you would have gone to PHL. We were that close to being pumpkins.

Heh... If we had had any more delays and had missed our 0300Z time (already had missed the 0233Z time), more than likely you would have gone to PHL. We were that close to being pumpkins.

That's what I was betting, too. I was watching that like a hawk. The FO that was sitting RRL wouldn't have been able to do it, though. He's on a comp day today, and they can't extend you into a comp day. :)

I have a good friend that is #3 in seniority at a regional. His comments about the regional kept me from even applying. Pay cuts, lack of job security, etc. I figure if he doesn't like it with that much seniority, then I surely wouldn't like it. I'd go fly Ag.

I haven't talked to anyone yet about a LOA. First off, I really haven't been at the airport when I have had enough time to go by ops (they work banker's hours in MEM). Secondly, I am waiting for my friend to call me back later this week and let me know how things are going. It is something that I am going to pursue.

I haven't talked to anyone yet about a LOA. First off, I really haven't been at the airport when I have had enough time to go by ops (they work banker's hours in MEM). Secondly, I am waiting for my friend to call me back later this week and let me know how things are going. It is something that I am going to pursue.
Definitely stay in touch regardless.

Eh, my honest opinion is if you only have a year in bail. I've got two friends now starting up 135 operations and if I was still a FO at CJC with the way things are heading I would have bailed instantly if I could make more money or at least improve my quality of life. The reality is when the airline biz improves (and it always does) you go take another shot at a company you want to be at and try to nestle in.

This is just my impression after reading the thread and more than half of your responses. To quote a Captain at CJC who helped me in all my career decisions, "You got to look deep in your heart. Only you can answer that question. You are young, you can do whatever you want."

Any luck with taking a LOA?

Not gonna happen. CAs are getting LOAs (why I DON'T know. I had vacation last month and STILL broke guarantee) and I think they're offering them to ATL FOs. As for FOs on the NWA side of the house, I wouldn't bet on it. They're still JMing all the way up the seniority list just to cover flights right now.

Not gonna happen. CAs are getting LOAs (why I DON'T know. I had vacation last month and STILL broke guarantee) and I think they're offering them to ATL FOs. As for FOs on the NWA side of the house, I wouldn't bet on it. They're still JMing all the way up the seniority list just to cover flights right now.

Worst they can say is no. Even though I probably know the answer going in, I plan on asking about getting one.

Saw the crew message today that said they are opening the LOAs to all FOs. Waiting on a phone call to know what the next step is now.

Back