Death of the cattle car - SWA

Sucks for commuters, I guess we’ll be banished to the middle seat and fighting for overhead space instead of “grab a seat near the front and we’ll call you if you need you up here.”
You had your time in the sun. Its time for their own employees (non-crew/dispatch) to stop getting middle seats when there are 50 seats open. Ratchet-ass flight benefits fr fr no cap. Yes, riding 4th is a cool perk, you'll get there and all...but damn, whatever little glamor there could have been with WN bennies was pretty much a turd from all angles beyond the basic getting a seat. But they work you so damn hard, that kind of feels like a love-tap to the balls when you go to travel. Also their non-hub model and all crews qualed on all planes = moving pax around like no other airline ever could. Loads are very fluid.

With assigned seating and out of habit I bet it'll be no problem to send jumpseaters down before boarding. You'll just have a seat assigned.

Last edited:
I like an airline where I don’t have to work a “strategy” in the preceding 24 hours to avoid 3-4 hours of discomfort if I was distracted at 5:30AM.

But same goes for you shops that think a routine checked bag fee is a good idea. I don’t want to struggle with Cletus’ drum liner for a place to put my European carryall.

My big club seating fear:

View attachment 78915

“Hi. Do you like stuff and other things? What’s your route? Oh my cousin is a pilot, his name is John and he’s at American, I think he flies the route to Kansas City. Watch that game last night? How are your Diamondbacks doing? Can you believe Ricky Martin is married to a man? I mean wow, Living La Vida Loca was my girl-power song but I’m more like Carly Rae Jepson slash Swiftie slash Bieber…”

“Hi, I’m good.”

[puts on Bose Quiet Comfort head seat, enjoys quiet flight]

I think there's some advantage to the way Southwest did things without assigned seats. I'm not a pilot and only fly as a passenger about every 2 to 3 years. I normally do road trips for vacation with my kiddo, who's 10. But going to St. Thomas, no choice but to fly. It was my first flight with him since he was an infant. We flew on SouthernJets. I never gave assigned seats a thought, just a money grab, right? Admittedly, I'm not an experienced traveler and only recently started having the money to fly somewhere nice for vacation.

LIT-ATL-STT no problem, seats assigned together.

We were scheduled to depart on Monday this week when Delta was still recovering from the fiasco. The same flight had been canceled the 2 previous days. Thankfully we were able to depart the day we'd scheduled the flight and on time.

I look on our boarding passes and I notice STT-ATL we're in different parts of the plane. No way do I feel comfortable with my 10 y/o not sitting next to me on a 4 hour flight. I was thinking surely the airline wouldn't separate a parent and child on a plane. I talked to the gate agent who at least got us on the same row, seat B and D.

When booking the flight, it honestly never occurred to me to even check such a thing. Two tickets booked at the same time, parent and child, would naturally share the same adjacent seats and didn't give it a further thought when purchasing.

While waiting for the flight I started reading online and apparently there's no laws or rules about this. The DOT has a list of airlines that agree to seat parent and child under 13 together without charging extra and Delta ain't one of them. AA and UA were on the list. Lesson learned. If I ever fly on Delta again, I'll make sure to buy assigned seats. Good info to know because we're going to SFO for Fleet Week to see the Blue Angels fly. I've always wanted to see them fly over the bay there.

From STT to ATL, were able to sit together because asking the lady sitting in C to simply swap aisle seats wasn't a big deal. We get to ATL early a little before 7PM, off the plane about 7:10pm. For the hop to LIT, we were to be seated both in seat A on adjacent rows, which wasn't a big deal on an hour flight. But thanks to the travel fiasco, our 11 pm flight was scheduled to depart at 1:25 am. I was dreading spending 6+ hours in Atlanta, if the crew didn't time out. As we got off the flight, the Delta app showed a flight leaving at ~ 7:50 pm for LIT available. Make a mad dash 2 concourses over and got to the gate in time. No Shake Shack! Amazingly, we were seated together. Departed and arrive to LIT on time. In that short time window at ATL, our checked baggage somehow made it onto the re-booked flight. That was super impressive. We were very blessed to have no cancelations and arrive to our final destination on an earlier flight and time than originally planned on that crazy Monday.

So yes, lesson learned with making sure multiple tickets booked together are seated together. I think Southwest's method would had been easier since no one has claim to any given seat, but I guess that's coming to an end.

My big club seating fear:

View attachment 78915

“Hi. Do you like stuff and other things? What’s your route? Oh my cousin is a pilot, his name is John and he’s at American, I think he flies the route to Kansas City. Watch that game last night? How are your Diamondbacks doing? Can you believe Ricky Martin is married to a man? I mean wow, Living La Vida Loca was my girl-power song but I’m more like Carly Rae Jepson slash Swiftie slash Bieber…”
But she's halfway hot 😂

This is what I was wondering. Open seating was, as I recall, a big part of how they were able to turn a flight in such a short time.
When I rode on them, it always seemed to slow the boarding process down. People would go to the back to avoid a middle seat and create a log jam.

I think there's some advantage to the way Southwest did things without assigned seats. I'm not a pilot and only fly as a passenger about every 2 to 3 years. I normally do road trips for vacation with my kiddo, who's 10. But going to St. Thomas, no choice but to fly. It was my first flight with him since he was an infant. We flew on SouthernJets. I never gave assigned seats a thought, just a money grab, right? Admittedly, I'm not an experienced traveler and only recently started having the money to fly somewhere nice for vacation.

LIT-ATL-STT no problem, seats assigned together.

We were scheduled to depart on Monday this week when Delta was still recovering from the fiasco. The same flight had been canceled the 2 previous days. Thankfully we were able to depart the day we'd scheduled the flight and on time.

I look on our boarding passes and I notice STT-ATL we're in different parts of the plane. No way do I feel comfortable with my 10 y/o not sitting next to me on a 4 hour flight. I was thinking surely the airline wouldn't separate a parent and child on a plane. I talked to the gate agent who at least got us on the same row, seat B and D.

When booking the flight, it honestly never occurred to me to even check such a thing. Two tickets booked at the same time, parent and child, would naturally share the same adjacent seats and didn't give it a further thought when purchasing.

While waiting for the flight I started reading online and apparently there's no laws or rules about this. The DOT has a list of airlines that agree to seat parent and child under 13 together without charging extra and Delta ain't one of them. AA and UA were on the list. Lesson learned. If I ever fly on Delta again, I'll make sure to buy assigned seats. Good info to know because we're going to SFO for Fleet Week to see the Blue Angels fly. I've always wanted to see them fly over the bay there.

From STT to ATL, were able to sit together because asking the lady sitting in C to simply swap aisle seats wasn't a big deal. We get to ATL early a little before 7PM, off the plane about 7:10pm. For the hop to LIT, we were to be seated both in seat A on adjacent rows, which wasn't a big deal on an hour flight. But thanks to the travel fiasco, our 11 pm flight was scheduled to depart at 1:25 am. I was dreading spending 6+ hours in Atlanta, if the crew didn't time out. As we got off the flight, the Delta app showed a flight leaving at ~ 7:50 pm for LIT available. Make a mad dash 2 concourses over and got to the gate in time. No Shake Shack! Amazingly, we were seated together. Departed and arrive to LIT on time. In that short time window at ATL, our checked baggage somehow made it onto the re-booked flight. That was super impressive. We were very blessed to have no cancelations and arrive to our final destination on an earlier flight and time than originally planned on that crazy Monday.

So yes, lesson learned with making sure multiple tickets booked together are seated together. I think Southwest's method would had been easier since no one has claim to any given seat, but I guess that's coming to an end.

haha reminds me of a time in HOU waiting to board a connecting flight with our oldest, who was like 2 at the time. We had booked seats, with the 3 of us together. Sitting at the gate, they change the flight number, and then re-issue seat assignments. Now my 2 yr old is in some middle seat half way on the other side of the airplane from us. Ask the gate agent to fix it, and she just tells me to talk to the FAs. I do that, and they tell us to just ask other Pax if they will switch with us. Woman next to me made me feel like a racist for asking. Pretty much nobody is interested in helping out, which shocked me exactly not at all. What did shock me was an actually nice human who didn't assume we booked seats all over the plane with a plan to just beg and plead until someone swapped (the airline changed the seats on us at the gate and then didn't fix it). Anyway, it all ended up working out, but had I known then what I know now, we wouldn't have boarded that plane with illegal seat assignments, and that plane wouldn't have left on time if they had been unable to fix the problem. I won't say the airline, but you can probably guess. Have friends who fly for them (and many of you do too) and it is a great career destination, but I've never bought another ticket from them and I never will, and that was probably 7-8 yrs ago.

Back