Death of the cattle car - SWA

The club seating!

My big club seating fear:

IMG_0062.jpeg

“Hi. Do you like stuff and other things? What’s your route? Oh my cousin is a pilot, his name is John and he’s at American, I think he flies the route to Kansas City. Watch that game last night? How are your Diamondbacks doing? Can you believe Ricky Martin is married to a man? I mean wow, Living La Vida Loca was my girl-power song but I’m more like Carly Rae Jepson slash Swiftie slash Bieber…”

Their old way of doing things always suited me as a solo business traveler, particularly when I was doing weekly daytrips between Texas cities. Whatever they do, I'll always take Love Field over DFW given the choice.

Is this big a change in their model going to work for them? Was the open seating not working somehow?

You all are sick! This is exciting news. No more anxiety about being in C group and not getting the over wing window seat. And being stuck in an aisle or middle seat. Now I'll know exactly which seat I'll be in no stress. Can't wait.

I'd 100% be more interested in flying SWA with this change. Unlike my face, when I am issued a company paid DH on their metal.......even if it is business/A5 or something by contract

You all are sick! This is exciting news. No more anxiety about being in C group and not getting the over wing window seat. And being stuck in an aisle or middle seat. Now I'll know exactly which seat I'll be in no stress. Can't wait.
Business select. It’s like 50bucks. Problem solved. You don’t even have to remember to check in.

I'd 100% be more interested in flying SWA with this change. Unlike my face, when I am issued a company paid DH on their metal.......even if it is business/A5 or something by contract

Every time I've been a company paid DH on SWA they are super nice and let me board first along with any other SWA pilots that are DHing.

Unlike our airline where we are treated quite the opposite when deadheading.

Business select. It’s like 50bucks. Problem solved. You don’t even have to remember to check in.
Well... prior to this, when I flew them. I always got Early Bird, then I didn't have to check-in either. But still no guarantee that you're not going to get "C". And be stuck by the rear lav...

Well... prior to this, when I flew them. I always got Early Bird, then I didn't have to check-in either. But still no guarantee that you're not going to get "C". And be stuck by the rear lav...

I remember overhearing this large fat dude in the terminal once telling someone else that he loves SWA because he boards and take a middle seat in a row, which generally ensures that no one will choose to sit on either side of him unless those are the last seats available, and he ends up with a row to himself.

Every time I've been a company paid DH on SWA they are super nice and let me board first along with any other SWA pilots that are DHing.

Unlike our airline where we are treated quite the opposite when deadheading.

-waits until end of boarding for agents to learn how to process and ticket a DH- "oh here, we have an aisle seat in row 28" :)

you're right, WN is very crew friendly, from what I have experienced

SWA was the best to jumpseat on. They would usually let you preboard. I'd throw my suitcase up in an overhead near the front and sit way in the back. I'd say hi to the back F/A's to let them know I'm ready to move to the jumpseat if necessary. A few times I did the walk of shame but usually worked out. The SWA crews were the best. Sadly, I hated flying on them with a company provided ticket. Often wound up in the C group. Luckily I was usually able to position on AS where I had top status.

I remember overhearing this large fat dude in the terminal once telling someone else that he loves SWA because he boards and take a middle seat in a row, which generally ensures that no one will choose to sit on either side of him unless those are the last seats available, and he ends up with a row to himself.

I prefer to make eye contact with each person approaching my row and gracefully pat the seat next to me with a leering smile. Works well.

I have an easy solution as a frequent traveler: If you’re assigned 28A and someone is in 28A, get a flight attendant to notify the gate about a “seat dupe”. If it’s on SouthernJets, the FA’s have a thing where they know exactly who has been assigned a seat so they will resolve it swiftly. Chances are, the person claiming to be in your seat is just a butthole that self-upgraded anyway.

Put your AirPods in.

So when someone says “SHURRR? SHURRRR? Can I sit by my faaaaaaaamily?” point at the earphones and whisper “I’m on a call”

Enjoy your flight in your assigned seat. :)

On an airplane, I’m deaf, indifferent and “WHAT!? DO I LOOK FRIENDLY?!” when bothered or asked for a favor other than getting up for people to use the bathroom. Bag too heavy? Check it.
To heck with AirPods…. I just ask people if they’ve seen my baseball or alternatively if they’ve met our savior Jesus (bonus points to mispronounce the name as Hay-seuss).

As a former Operations Agent (the guy who scanned your boarding pass) for WN, I think this is great! When you have 10 or more "wheelchair" passengers and you announce that they could still go down during preboard if they could walk safely down the jet bridge, the majority jump out of that chair like I just healed them. It was incredible. Then I had to hear it from the A 1-15 crowd of how we let all these shammers down before them. This is also helps those agents and FA identify individuals that cause an issue. This will also help families that have children over the age of 10 to all sit together.

The days of 30-minute turn was long gone for them when they went to the 141 seats and no way were you going to get the 35-minute turn on a 800 or Max. Those ones in the C group getting the final middle seat up front but their carry-on was placed in the back didn't help anyone.

SWA was the best to jumpseat on. They would usually let you preboard. I'd throw my suitcase up in an overhead near the front and sit way in the back. I'd say hi to the back F/A's to let them know I'm ready to move to the jumpseat if necessary. A few times I did the walk of shame but usually worked out. The SWA crews were the best. Sadly, I hated flying on them with a company provided ticket. Often wound up in the C group. Luckily I was usually able to position on AS where I had top status.
Yep. Saved my butt a few times getting to ORD but still got punished having to take the train from MDW.

Back