Dear Instructors

Are we going to start calling each other Nazis *before* page 5?

No fear! Since I do have some incredible background information as to what a real Nazi used to be, and how relentlessly the word is thrown around nowadays, you will not see me engage in a discussion about it.

You guys need to come up with a disclaimer in which you can prohibit people with a different opinion from posting here, I'm sure I would be gone in no time. :sarcasm:

For every unprofessional, overly self-interested, and inconsiderate time-building instructor, there are 10 students that don't do their homework, chronically cancel lessons, need to be told the same stuff over and over again, and think they're on their way to being super-pilots because they were inspired by Top Gun.
I mostly work with college students, and I think that this problem may be more common with them. The thing I see is that a lot of college students just aren't mature enough to take this flying thing and make it their own-they treat it like just another class, not a career or a way of life. That and some of them are just completely incapable of learning on their own, no matter how many assignments you give. You just end up sucking it up and spending the ground time with them.

Isn't it pretty simple for a student to research what a flight instructor should be doing via articles, books, and sites like this and determine if their instructor is doing right by them? And isn't it just as simple to fire your instructor if you determine they are not right for you?

If bad instructors are fired they won't work. Problem solved.

I have been typing and re typing a wall of text to try and convey my feelings about this thread and some of the comments made.

I can't seem to articulate my thoughts.

Isn't it pretty simple for a student to research what a flight instructor should be doing via articles, books, and sites like this and determine if their instructor is doing right by them? And isn't it just as simple to fire your instructor if you determine they are not right for you?

If bad instructors are fired they won't work. Problem solved.
I wish crap was that simple!

Negative, ghost rider. Here is why...

OK, I just soloed last week and I would like to find out what my instructor should be doing via articals, books, and sites. Show me the link. I would also like to add that he feels that I need work on my power on stalls because they make me nervous. Do I really need to learn to let some fear go as my instructor insist I do. I, as a student, don't feel I really need to know the power on stall in that great detail. Is this instructor right for me? Is there a link, book, or artical that will answer this question or maybe you guys can provide me with the correct answer here instead?

...:D Do you realize how long of a thread this would create? Would the student ever have made a clear decision to leave the instuctor or stick with him? Many students act on there emotions and not what they don't know. I found it hard during my training to block out those negative emotions that were an extended thought of "do I have the right instructor?". I believe it is a big TRUST relationship between student and instructor or student and teacher.

D, this has nothing to do with you and I but only the first thing that came to mind and is a good example I believe.

Ian, I thought about clicking on your link but figure it has some type of malware in it. You do seem like the vengeful type.

I wish crap was that simple!

Negative, ghost rider. Here is why...

OK, I just soloed last week and I would like to find out what my instructor should be doing via articals, books, and sites. Show me the link. I would also like to add that he feels that I need work on my power on stalls because they make me nervous. Do I really need to learn to let some fear go as my instructor insist I do. I, as a student, don't feel I really need to know the power on stall in that great detail. Is this instructor right for me? Is there a link, book, or artical that will answer this question or maybe you guys can provide me with the correct answer here instead?

Maybe I'm not understanding your example fully, but this makes it look like you're agreeing with me. The problem this student has is a simple one. Some quick reading or a quick thread about it would show the student his instructor is doing the right thing.

...:D Do you realize how long of a thread this would create? Would the student ever have made a clear decision to leave the instuctor or stick with him?
I don't think I understand what you're trying to say.

Ian, I thought about clicking on your link but figure it has some type of malware in it. You do seem like the vengeful type.
I do? Why?

The link has no malware. The sister site to that link is www.bbbs.org.

And I am evaluated on the fact that I need to get students done in a reasonable amount of time. The frustration is that it is out of my control when a student has no motivation and Im stuck looking bad. But here, that is few and far between.

I always thought I was there to help the student become a good aviator and to ensure the standards were met. Over the years I have had students (gen av and airline) who either didn't care or thought it was going to be handed to them. I gently explained that they would progress when they met standard, not before. And if they wanted to just fly around, we could do that but until standard was met, I would not be signing them off.

I turned down one fellow for his CE-500 type after many hours. He was furious. He chomped and chewed on my boss who then said maybe he just needed a new instructor. I concurred. He flew a few rides with a nicer guy, got signed off and promptly busted his type ride. He then raised hell with everyone about forcing him to take the ride and sued the flight school. Needless to say, the 'pink' didn't help his insurance he had on his Baron.

There are all types on both sides of the fence. instructors and students who think they are the new Mavericks headed for F-22s.. or 747s. it isn't too hard to see who has it and who should not be allowed inside the airport fence. :D

Maybe I'm not understanding your example fully, but this makes it look like you're agreeing with me. The problem this student has is a simple one. Some quick reading or a quick thread about it would show the student his instructor is doing the right thing.

I don't think I understand what you're trying to say.
I do? Why?
The link has no malware. The sister site to that link is www.bbbs.org.

Don't understand what I'm trying to say?...not the first time ever. Don't bother trying to chew my head off if you still don't understand because I will only do it once.

I should have included that the biggest fear among students and power on stalls is getting into a spin. We would then have a whole other can of worms that has been discussed many times on this forum of "should spins be conducted in training". However, I am trying to say that it is NOT easy for the student to evaluate an instructor by doing some quick reading. How do students evaluate instructors on something that they know nothing about? Teachers are evaluated by other teachers not by their damn students. Do CFIs get evaluated by other CFIs ever in flight or in ground school? Go figure. They take some life time internet thingy that renews their CFI. I would be very impressed to see a chief flight instructor siting in the back of a 172 evaluating a CFI while he is teaching a student. From my experience I have never heard of it. Ha, but what are we really? If I was in charge of a flight school and a chief instructor, that is what I would be doing besides stage checks. I would NOT be out to get rid of all the "bad CFIs" so to speak but only to improve there teaching skills just like in the general school system. Keep them up to par. Instead we are thrown this FOI test and a check ride and there you have it. You are now only evaluated by your student and now you have a free ride to the "just paying your dues".

I do? Why?...oh, just because of your tone in the pass used directly at me.

:D my browser froze up when I clicked on it...that is why too. It doesn't like this one, I guess.

Sidious, is the one doing the evaluation there to help you if you are having any problems with a student? Has he/she been there while you teach this student? Tell him/her you need help with this student and would like for them to sit down in the room or back seat as you teach. Have them tell you what other methods to try or to point out which ones worked or didn't work. It will show them that you are doing the best that you can and willing to do whatever it takes to get the student through. I am shocked if they play along with the students emotions and base the evaluation on time alone. We need to tighten up on both sides of the fence and let the peanuts fall until they get it.

For what it's worth.

However, I am trying to say that it is NOT easy for the student to evaluate an instructor by doing some quick reading. How do students evaluate instructors on something that they know nothing about? Teachers are evaluated by other teachers not by their damn students.

First, I never meant to imply the solution to bad CFIs was to place the responsibility on the student. My comments were a suggested way the student could protect themselves. My apologies that my thoughts weren’t clear.

Just by reading JC on occasion a student could learn plenty. You keep talking about spins – were I a student and searched for “spins” on JC I would learn the following:

1. Are they necessary? No. While unnecessary except for the CFI, they would be beneficial for me to learn. If I was too scared to try them JC would have helped me learn I don’t have to do them.
2. To find out if my plane was appropriate for spins.
3. Is my CFI qualified to teach spins? I would learn to ask what sort of spin training my instructor had.
4. Where can I learn more about spins? JC would have directed me to many print and online resources.

That’s one example – there are plenty more.

I would be very impressed to see a chief flight instructor sitting in the back of a 172 evaluating a CFI while he is teaching a student.

That’s a fantastic idea. Both the Army and the part 135 company I worked at did this.

Heck, they could even do it in a FTD at a flight school if they wanted to save money. It probably also wouldn’t be a bad idea for the independent CFIs to voluntarily do something like this once in a while.

:Dmy browser froze up when I clicked on it...that is why too. It doesn't like this one, I guess.

That’s really weird. The link is a website hosted by Big Brothers Big Sisters of America and is a fund raiser helping under-privileged children – so it’s a legitimate link.

Don't understand what I'm trying to say?...not the first time ever. Don't bother trying to chew my head off if you still don't understand because I will only do it once.

I should have included that the biggest fear among students and power on stalls is getting into a spin. We would then have a whole other can of worms that has been discussed many times on this forum of "should spins be conducted in training". However, I am trying to say that it is NOT easy for the student to evaluate an instructor by doing some quick reading. How do students evaluate instructors on something that they know nothing about? Teachers are evaluated by other teachers not by their damn students. Do CFIs get evaluated by other CFIs ever in flight or in ground school? Go figure. They take some life time internet thingy that renews their CFI. I would be very impressed to see a chief flight instructor siting in the back of a 172 evaluating a CFI while he is teaching a student. From my experience I have never heard of it. Ha, but what are we really? If I was in charge of a flight school and a chief instructor, that is what I would be doing besides stage checks. I would NOT be out to get rid of all the "bad CFIs" so to speak but only to improve there teaching skills just like in the general school system. Keep them up to par. Instead we are thrown this FOI test and a check ride and there you have it. You are now only evaluated by your student and now you have a free ride to the "just paying your dues".

I do? Why?...oh, just because of your tone in the pass used directly at me.

:D my browser froze up when I clicked on it...that is why too. It doesn't like this one, I guess.

Sidious, is the one doing the evaluation there to help you if you are having any problems with a student? Has he/she been there while you teach this student? Tell him/her you need help with this student and would like for them to sit down in the room or back seat as you teach. Have them tell you what other methods to try or to point out which ones worked or didn't work. It will show them that you are doing the best that you can and willing to do whatever it takes to get the student through. I am shocked if they play along with the students emotions and base the evaluation on time alone. We need to tighten up on both sides of the fence and let the peanuts fall until they get it.

For what it's worth.
I'm going to take a stab at this incoherent rambling, I don't know why

1. Students only fear that which they have either had a bad experience with; or that which they have been taught to fear by their instructor. Either way the instructor is the reason. Power on stalls? are you kidding? If a student is taught properly the first time they are about the easiest, non-event maneuver required by the PTS. A spin? If that is an issue the student was never taught flight coordination on lesson one like they should have been. If they are really terrified of a spin to the point that they cannot perform required maneuvers then its time to go spin them, thats just what a real instructor does. If they realize that a spin is recoverable and are more comfortable with it, great; if not, this profession was not for them anyway.

2.Researching the PTS, the FAR, and what a student should expect of an instructor is not difficult at all. I fired my first instructor when I realized that he was deliberately skipping requirements to pad his logbook. I had a total of 17 hours at the time and had zero previous aviation experience. If a student is incapable of such simple research about the profession they are pursuing then sorry, they need to find a different profession. Oh and you want a website? try www.jetcareers.com, it has saved me thousands of dollars, and some bad choices by providing good info.

3. If a flight school does not monitor their instructors then they are asking for trouble. I have personally been responsible for the firing of three terrible instructors through the stage check process. When I am taxiing out with their student who has a checkride scheduled in a week and I ask them to start with a soft field takeoff and they ask me "What is that?" I know we have a problem instructor. As to chief pilots sitting in back evaluating, hell, I have had that dozens of times, I have been the guy in back doing the evaluation even.

By the same token I have also been responsible for inviting several students to leave, again through the stage check process.

4. I am all about getting rid of bad CFIs. If they are just there for milking a student and collecting a paycheck, daydreaming about that barbie jet and the chick magnet uniform; there are a dozen guys waiting to take thier place that will do the job properly, and not be a liability to everyone around them. If they are struggling and having difficulty but are willing to improve and be taught then they are not a bad CFI; just a poorly trained one.

5. I learned a lot from the Fundamentals of Instruction test and the Aviation Instructors Handbook. If people would stop and actually learn a few things from that instead of just hitting the Gliem for 2 hours before taking the test we would have a much better instructional corps across the board.

The 4 levels of learning are not:
1. Rote Memorization
2. Rote Memorization
3. Rote Memorization
4. Rote Memorization

6. Are you calling the CFI checkride a joke? I can't tell. Mine was hell and I thought I failed at several points. But in that the examiner taught me a lot. Many of the things I learned are carried into every student lesson.

7. Paying dues? Do you understand what that means? It is not some purgatory that must be passed through to get to that shiny low paying jet. It is a process by which one comes to understand their own strengths and weaknesses, which they should be striving to improve upon. A process which weeds out those that are not fit for this business for whatever reason. A process which builds experience that can be built upon in future employment. A process in which one must sink or swim. It is a continual process that does not stop when one moves to another job.

Students only fear that which they have either had a bad experience with; or that which they have been taught to fear by their instructor. Either way the instructor is the reason.Students only fear that which they have either had a bad experience with; or that which they have been taught to fear by their instructor. Either way the instructor is the reason.

I don't agree with that at all. People bring a lifetime of experiences into this training, and many pre-existing ideas make themselves felt at odd times. Plus, the subjective experiences are often interpreted differently by those involved in the process.

I had one student (a skydiver with 3,000+ jumps, so not timid) who was reluctant to apply the backpressure needed for power-on stall. During discussions on the ground, he revealed that he was afraid the plane would "flip over backwards". Did he get that from me? No.

Can a student pick up fear from his instructor? Certainly. Does it always come from there? Absolutely not.

I don't agree with that at all. People bring a lifetime of experiences into this training, and many pre-existing ideas make themselves felt at odd times. Plus, the subjective experiences are often interpreted differently by those involved in the process.

I had one student (a skydiver with 3,000+ jumps, so not timid) who was reluctant to apply the backpressure needed for power-on stall. During discussions on the ground, he revealed that he was afraid the plane would "flip over backwards". Did he get that from me? No.

Can a student pick up fear from his instructor? Certainly. Does it always come from there? Absolutely not.
you are correct, I did not articulate that statement the way I wanted to

And that affects you as a professional CFI how again?

I'm sorry if my comments were interpreted to mean that CFIs are somehow not obligated or responsible to be professionals when there are lazy, slacker students involved. Nothing could be further from the truth - we have to bring our best no matter what. I just feel it's relevant to the the discussion.

As long as one is not bringing up student laziness as a premise for the argument that CFIs somehow owe less to their jobs (which I'm not), I believe that examining what the student brings to the table is an important and often overlooked point when discussing flight training.

If I was an hourly CFI, I would love slacker students! More money for me to re-teach the same crap over and over... whats wrong with that?

Money in the bank, yes, but it can really suck the life out of you and kill your morale. However, much worse than the slacker with money (who shows up) is the one who your bosses put on your schedule, is a slacker, and doesn't have any money or doesn't show up. Then you're not even getting paid. (This is revealing the messed up system my school has for assigning students to instructors, and how the administration makes it very difficult for us to charge for cancelled lessons. We should all be on strike.)

I mostly work with college students, and I think that this problem may be more common with them. The thing I see is that a lot of college students just aren't mature enough to take this flying thing and make it their own-they treat it like just another class, not a career or a way of life. That and some of them are just completely incapable of learning on their own, no matter how many assignments you give. You just end up sucking it up and spending the ground time with them.

Agreed.

you are correct, I did not articulate that statement the way I wanted to

tgrayson's comments often provoke that response, I've noticed. ;)

Nothing against you, but it really annoys me when people look at instructors as being one of only two possible types.

There are two types of people in this world. Those who separate people into two categories and those who don't.

I'm going to take a stab at this incoherent rambling, I don't know why

Dude, you need a tone check big time! This is not the first time you did this.

This is the furthest I read when someone throws a bomb at my thoughts! It's not necessary. If you disagree then state your thoughts on the matter. I'm not your mother so don't talk to me like that. You sound like a 12 year old. Respect others thoughts! Learn it. PEACE!

Dude, you need a tone check big time! This is not the first time you did this.

This is the furthest I read when someone throws a bomb at my thoughts! It's not necessary. If you disagree then state your thoughts on the matter. I'm not your mother so don't talk to me like that. You sound like a 12 year old. Respect others thoughts! Learn it. PEACE!
So you are saying you did not read past the first line?

I stated my disagreements quite clearly, your response is to call me a 12 year old.

Whatever

Back