DCA...

2012-08-03_15-17-12_130.jpg

We were also initially given the river visual rwy 1 but immediately corrected to the river 19 in the same clearance, just a fluke but I found it a little funny.

that wasnt even close, if i didnt have friends still working i could tell you about some really disturbing deals here in Chitown. we just dont go blabbering to the press about it like they do in DC. and thats not what a radar display looks like thats just a replay of the ARTS/STARS data.Big thumbs down for her waiting those critical seconds before she turned the arrival south, could have saved a deal if she was more on the ball.

those track dots look to me like someone edited them in afterward

That's standard on a FALCON playback. I also noticed a lack of showing the radar map. On a purely technical note, that's what an ACD or STARS scope looks like. ARTS II and ARTS III look like something out of a World War Two film. I have ACD, but I'm told first hand at some TRACONs the radar is literally ARTS IIE loaded on surplus US miliraty hoppy type scopes (as seen in the movie Airplane, the cylindrical type) circa 1960. I've heard the term hoppy used three times. Once by an old hand who worked final on one in the 90's when my facility was crazy busy, once by a new transfer who claims they still use them at his old facility and once by my dad who ceased working traffic in the late 60's so I believe that particular piece of folklore.

Also, I think I know the person on local. Holy crap.

As long as we're discussing DCA, any one there this afternoon around 4pm with the Air Wisconsin emergency? I *heard* engine fire, they rolled the trucks, closed the airport for a while.

Per our out of service website, it says engine change for this aircraft so whatever happened was a legit emergency.

that wasnt even close, if i didnt have friends still working i could tell you about some really disturbing deals here in Chitown. we just dont go blabbering to the press about it like they do in DC. and thats not what a radar display looks like thats just a replay of the ARTS/STARS data.Big thumbs down for her waiting those critical seconds before she turned the arrival south, could have saved a deal if she was more on the ball.

Or said "I had both aircraft in sight", doesn't make it a pretty operation but definitely no deal.

Or said "I had both aircraft in sight", doesn't make it a pretty operation but definitely no deal.

Great Point about the visual seperation, forgot about that one ive been a scope dope too long. so were you the arrival or depature guy that day ;) ? the problem i have with this is she waited 22 SECONDS after the arrival checked in before she took any action 22 SECONDS !!!! any of you controllers out there should know how critical time is and 22 seconds can be a life time at times

The departure had already been switched, no? No idea what their LOA in regards to visual is (and I'm not sure if that same facility visual sep rule change has gone into effect yet), but a "maintain visual" on the backside of "in sight" is always a good CYA - for everyone. :)

Great Point about the visual seperation, forgot about that one ive been a scope dope too long. so were you the arrival or depature guy that day ;) ? the problem i have with this is she waited 22 SECONDS after the arrival checked in before she took any action 22 SECONDS !!!! any of you controllers out there should know how critical time is and 22 seconds can be a life time at times
I have Tuesdays off

in her defense, the arrival's check in was pretty bad

that may be but this is the time that they pay us the big bucks for, i can teach a monkey to use 1000' and 5. some day you may find your self in a situation where you only have a few seconds to act and you have to act right away no playing 20 question no trying to figure out what happened, that comes after you seperate the aircraft which is always our number 1 priority .

that may be but this is the time that they pay us the big bucks for, i can teach a monkey to use 1000' and 5. some day you may find your self in a situation where you only have a few seconds to act and you have to act right away no playing 20 question no trying to figure out what happened, that comes after you seperate the aircraft which is always our number 1 priority .
As a pilot, when I hear your voices go up a bit, or hear the word "immediately" or "beep beep beep beep" in the background, I react more quickly than spinning the bug and pushing HDG.

As a pilot, when I hear your voices go up a bit, or hear the word "immediately" or "beep beep beep beep" in the background, I react more quickly than spinning the bug and pushing HDG.

Sometimes it's the other way around: During a readback, I hear all kinds of alarms, beeping and computerized voices in the background. Then I wait a bit before making another transmission, usually watching your mode C readout carefully in the meantime.

I was so tempted to spend my last session testing the aural alarm on my scope every time I keyed up after reading this.

But, it's Friday. Maybe next week :)

Which seems to me what the local controller did.

Back