DCA...

Just noticed this ^ NICE FRICKING COLLARED SHIRT UNDER THE FLIGHT SUIT. Top Gun was ruined for me A LONG TIME ago, but THAT. W..T..F..

Well, as a Navy Pilot back in the eighties (Man, I feel old saying that), it was not uncommon to wear a Polo shirt under the flight suit. I never liked the look, but there were those that did it. I know that somewhere in a drawer I've still got my RayBan Aviator sunglasses which were also part of any self respecting Navy Pilot's "chicks dig me" image.

Well, as a Navy Pilot back in the eighties (Man, I feel old saying that), it was not uncommon to wear a Polo shirt under the flight suit. I never liked the look, but there were those that did it. I know that somewhere in a drawer I've still got my RayBan Aviator sunglasses which were also part of any self respecting Navy Pilot's "chicks dig me" image.

Big thing too i see is the long sleeve turtleneck under the flightsuit, with USN guys.

Must be an East Coast, or ship thing. I wouldn't understand either one of those things.

Ive never known enough about USN uniforms to know what was what; being as there are a number of uniforms, and some are seasonal-based it seems. I do remember flightsuits not being allowed to be worn when not actually flying....ie- can't drive home with them and go to store, etc. I think the khakis were the general utility uniform for officers, but am not certain.

Ive never known enough about USN uniforms to know what was what; being as there are a number of uniforms, and some are seasonal-based it seems. I do remember flightsuits not being allowed to be worn when not actually flying....ie- can't drive home with them and go to store, etc. I think the khakis were the general utility uniform for officers, but am not certain.

That seems to change as frequently as the wind. You can go to the store/daycare/bank/school in a "working uni", no you can't, yes you can but only for 10 minutes. At some point you just do your life, and if you get chewed on than so be it. They've now gone to those cammis, so everyone looks like a spray painted Smurf equally.

Just because there was no duress, doesn't mean it wasn't close. We're trained to be calm during those situations, also the controller may have seen the planes were going to lose separation but not hit.

good point. there is a nice little graphic up now showing the aircraft at 1.4 miles laterally, says nothing about altitude. Obvious lack of positive separation, but she seemed to have it under control the whole time. After listening to the audio again, seems like the lander was the first on a new active runway, the article originally made it sound like the lander was the last on the old active.

I might need some serenity training, because if an adjacent center/sector dumps something on me or an aircraft busts a clearance, I will definitely have a change of tone.

Just saw the FACLON replay. It was pretty obvious they wouldn't hit, but was extremely ugly on radar. Having said that I think if it was me working it, and is was miscoordination and I hadn't been informed, I'd be sounding livid on the radio. Not at the pilots obviously.

Looked to me like local wasn't looking at the CTRD. It was pretty evident the E170 was burning down the river to land.

gets good right around 2:00 looks like they had 700-800 feet when the halo gets busted by the chq. no idea what the separation standards are but the rpa advised he had the traffic in sight and seemed pretty light-hearted about it.

I think that part of the reason this is news is because the FAA - like all of the government - is vulnerable to sequestration cuts. And while there may be towers that have to close (they actually said airports, but I'm assuming smaller fields can just go back to being uncontrolled? yes? no?) everyone around here is like, "well, yeah that sucks but it won't happen to REAGAN! I mean, it's DC!"

But, folks are nervous about it. In this town, even rain is a political issue, and since DCA is sort of a sacred cow around here (I never fully appreciated the convenience compared to IAD or BWI until I moved here) anything involving it gets more than the usual amount of news coverage.

greg1016 that is pretty cool to see an ATC screen. Is there a web site for that?

Not that I know of, I was actually surprised to see this on the interwebs. We have a system that allows us to play back the radar data, it is mostly used for training, but it doesn't look exactly like a HOST radar scope. Not sure how it translates from the terminal environment, you'd have to get an answer about that from one of the TRACON guys.

Not that I know of, I was actually surprised to see this on the interwebs. We have a system that allows us to play back the radar data, it is mostly used for training, but it doesn't look exactly like a HOST radar scope. Not sure how it translates from the terminal environment, you'd have to get an answer about that from one of the TRACON guys.
You can get this through FOIA, but it is supposed to take a little time. Probably a leak.

Looks like a terminal scope minus the track dots

As long as we're discussing DCA, any one there this afternoon around 4pm with the Air Wisconsin emergency? I *heard* engine fire, they rolled the trucks, closed the airport for a while.

Back