DCA Diary

Well I'm sort of in a rutt right now. I've taken the damned end of course flight four time and unstat them all. Three for simple stuff. All I had to do on the last one was fly a DME arc. I went into it confident and even practiced on MSFS before hand. Took off 27R and turned 360 to intercept the 19 DME easbound from the ORL VOR. I fogot to look at the fk'n DME. It got to 19.9 and the check instructor asked me to talk him through the steps. When i got to the DME it was at 20.5 and he took the controls at that point. I kicked myself in the A$$ for two days over that. That was last Monday and I haven't flow since. I've been waiting to do a review flight. It has to be with an assistant chief or chief flight instructor, so they can evaluate me. I've flow with two group leaders and a senior instructor in the group. I flew great on those flights and impressed them. I had a review flight last Friday but got as far as the runway hold short line. We had a T-storm blow up, so I had to return to the line. I probably won't fly till next Tuesday. I'm flying back to San Diego for my dad's wedding on Thursday. Hopefully I can get back on the schedule for the end of course flight and get it over with by the end of next week. Anybody have any words of wisdom or encouragement? I sure could use some right now.

I hit a lot of hurdles during my training. Mostly because I hadn't developed the ability to just 'let it go' for a few days and think about something else, then come back with clarity.

When I was in new hire school at Skyway, I called my ground school instructor scared to death because I was so nervous about my company oral, I couldn't remember things that I had to remember.

And he gave me some good advice, "Well, it's friday, if your oral isn't until sunday, go out tonight, have a few beers and forget you're a pilot for a bit. Wake up tomorrow morning, watch some cartoons and then about 2 or 3, start reviewing your material".

Worked like gangbusters for me.

Sounds like you're more fighting your mounting frustration rather than the performance of the maneuver, take a break for a day, let yourself unwind and then reattack the situation.

Just my humble opinion.

Thanks for the pep talk Doug, I needed it. I guess you're right. I know my stuff and can put it to work. I guess I get frustrated having to redo tasks that I've already completed and passed. Plus I'm sure deep down I'm worried that I'll screw up something and have to do the flight over again.

Like when Obi Wan told Luke to "Let go Luke, use the force"...

That saying got me in more trouble, but he DID have a point in some circumstances!
smile.gif

Take a break, relax, step outside in the sun and go for a walk. You'll get clarity.

Great advice Doug. Obviously Bubba you have all the skills, as you have sat everything at least once so the best advice is to try to relax. Almost impossible I know, but it is that stress that makes multitasking difficult and is probably causing some of the problems. Think of that instrument ticket as already having your name on it. It is already yours, just go prove to the stagecheck pilot that you deserve it. It is pretty common for everyone to hit that learning plateau, you just hit yours early. You will probably be one of those guys that flys through commercial in no time.... Good Luck!

I also had 'stage fright' during checkrides earlier in my training. I'd become self conscious and worry too much about how the check airman would think "Oh, this guys going to booger up this manuever!". Then I'd get nervous and wouldn't perform the way I felt I should.

Then I started thinking of the check airman in the airplane with me just like a cabby. He's more or less a talking head and it's just between me and the airplane, much the way it would be if you were single-pilot.

If he issued me a DME arc, I'd perform it and wouldn't worry so much about what I thought he wanted me to see, but would think about the standards and tolerances with the manuever.

Good advice from Doug. Trying to forget about it and move on is easier said then done, but every so often I'll see a perfectly good pilot bust a ride by trying too hard not to fail. I still feel some nervousness whenever I'm doing a stagecheck or checkride. I like to think as positively as possible. It's a simple idea, but helps a lot. I see too many people walk in to stage checks/checkrides with their heads bowed down muttering "well, let's see how I do today". Have confidence in yourself, no matter what happens. And don't try TOO hard.

I just had my "pre" instrument checkride stage check the other day. On past stage checks I have always been ridiculously nervous about who my stage check pilot was and I'd always try and get a gouge from whoever I could about what he or she was like.

I got my self reeeeealy worked up about this stage check for some reason (i.e. trouble sleeping the night before) and all it was was holding and three measley non-prec. approaches.

About four or five hours before the flight I kind of came to terms with things and did exactley what Doug seggested. I decided to just act like it was me and the airplane. The guy in the right seat was just an observer and could have cared less about how I flew. With that mentality in mind I flew the check damn near perfect and I was definetely as calm as I have ever been on a check ride or stage check.

Just be confident and fly it like you know how to.

Well I'm back from a short trip to San Diego. Southwest did a great job getting us there and back. Almost didn't want to come back! Did two review flights to get back into the swing of things yesterday and Tuesday. I think I've exorcised all the bad things out of my head. I should be up for my end of course flight tomorrow.

I finally did it! It was so good to hear the bell ring and my name be called as an instrument pilot. Took me five tries, but now that ticket is mine. Before the flight I just said to myself "hey let's just go out and fly for fun. If I fail so be it." I went out there and had fun. We started off with the VOR/DME arc approach down at Kissimmee I like that approach since it give you time to fly and also to set up for the approach. Orlando approach was spankin DCA studen't butts for asking to be revectored because they were not ready for the approach, after they had already been cleared for the approach. It was hillarious to hear over the radio. I shot the arc and the approach flawlessly. The approach was partial panel. Next we headed up to Mambo Int for the hold. I got 1 minute on the first circuit and then did a steep turn in the hold. I got set up for the ILS approach into Sanford and exited the hold. When we got our altitude decsent clearance, the instructor took the controls and did some unusual attitudes. I shot the ILS flawless and had to break off early due to heavy traffic on the runway. We went missed and got vectored for the dredded NDB-B approach. I did okay on the approach and came in for a full stop landing. That was honestly the funnest stage check I've ever been on. My thanks go out to all those that gave me some great advice. Tomorrow it's on to commercial

Congrats-
The Instrument rating was BY FAR the most difficult rating to get, for me, and my instrument proficency deteriorated quickly when I didn't use it for a few months, but it came back quickly, too. But the hard part is behind you now.........Enjoy Commercial, it's a lot of fun!
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
But the hard part is behind you now.........Enjoy Commercial, it's a lot of fun!
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuck....I'm more of an instrument guy!!
smile.gif

Back