DC-3 Down in Oklahoma

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
Date:28-NOV-2021
Time:23:00
Type:
Silhouette image of generic DC3 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Douglas C-47A-25-DK (DC-3)
Owner/operator:Desert Air Transport Inc
MSN:13678
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 1
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage:Unknown
Category:Incident
N.gif
United States of America
Phase:Take off
Nature:Cargo
Departure airport:Haskell Airport (2K9), OK
Destination airport:
Narrative:
The aircraft experienced engine issues on takeoff and rolled into trees and a fence at the end of the runway at Haskell Airport (2K9), Haskell, Oklahoma.
The sole pilot onboard was not injured.

Same SN was living on borrowed time anyways.

Date:Friday 10 September 1965
Time:12:08
Type:
Silhouette image of generic DC3 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Douglas C-47A-25-DK (DC-3)
Operator:Central American Airways
MSN:13678
First flight:1944
Total airframe hrs:12401
Engines:2 Pratt & Whitney R-1830-92
Crew:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 2
Passengers:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 0
Total:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 2
Collision casualties:Fatalities: 1
Aircraft damage:Substantial
Aircraft fate:Repaired
Location:5 km (3.1 mls) E of Louisville-Bowman Field, KY (LOU) (
N.gif
United States of America)
Phase:Unknown (UNK)
Nature:Cargo
Departure airport:Louisville-Bowman Field, KY (LOU/KLOU), United States of America
Destination airport:?
Narrative:
After climbing out of Louisville, the DC-3 collided with Cessna 150 N4564U at 1800 feet. The Cessna crashed; the DC-3 returned with a shut down no. 1 engine.

I wondered about that, but apparently the lower-powered piston version are. More power apparently means including a geared rudder servo tab and introduced a requirement for two pilats.
What’s the more lower powered piston version? I don’t recall anything less than an 1820 or 1830 on them.

I was also unaware of the single pilot capability of the DC-3, but there is a little discussion about it on the EAA forums. The TCDS for the DC-3 doesn't specify crew requirements, yet the Super DC-3 TCDS does specify two crew members.

I was also unaware of the single pilot capability of the DC-3, but there is a little discussion about it on the EAA forums. The TCDS for the DC-3 doesn't specify crew requirements, yet the Super DC-3 TCDS does specify two crew members.

"Let us re-define progress to mean that just because we can do a thing, it does not necessarily mean that we must do that thing."

Back