Day off question? Some help

Not really rocket surgery, but I hope I can explain some of the pay questions…
Let’s take the example of an ATCS working a Sunday 3-11 pm shift, and that individual is a CPC, On-The-Job Training Instructor (OJT-I), Controller-in-Charge (CIC), and has a base pay of $25 an hour. On that Sunday shift, the controller conducts 3.0 hours of OJT, and 1.5 hours of CIC duties:
Regular $200.00 ($25 X 8 hours)
Night Differential 12.50 ($25 X 10% X 5 hours, 6-11 pm)
Sunday Premium 50.00 ($25 X 25% X 8 Hours)
OJT-I (differential) 7.50 ($25 x 10% X 3 hours)
CIC Nada, nothing, zip
Grand Total $270 for that Sunday shift.

Holiday Premium is double time, Overtime is time and a half, and since these are premium pay, you cannot earn Sunday/Overtime/Holiday, you only get one at a time, for example today is Memorial Day and you get called in for Overtime, you receive time and a half, not time and a half plus double time, you will receive the Holiday pay on your in-lieu day.

Which brings us to the Holiday In-lieu question…
First day off, first day back, last day off, last day at work.
Today, Monday is a holiday.
Controller A has Sunday/Monday Regular days off (RDO)
Controller B has Monday/Tuesday RDO’s
Since the holiday fell on Controller A’s last day of their RDO pair, the preceding Saturday was their in-lieu holiday (this is always fun when that Saturday is also the last day of the pay period!). The holiday falls on Controller B’s first day off, so Wednesday would be their in-lieu holiday, which mean, on your in-lieu day, if you work you get the premium pay, if you take leave you are charged “holiday leave” it is not charged to annual leave, it’s a paid day off.

Hope this helps….
Today is Memorial Day, hug a Vet!

Hey there,

Well, I'm one of those accepted for the AT-SAT in June, and had some questions for anyone in the know. I read the sticky about days off, but I'm not at all sure.

I keep a 7th day sabbath, due to religion, and cannot work sunset to sunset friday night to saturday night.

Am I crazy for even attempting this? I want badly to work in the aviation industry, I'm a PVT pilot, once considered flight instruction, but don't want to go into $80k debt for it.

Is there any place to go to (say a larger area, or a center) to be able to get any schedule just without the saturday day time so I can go to church, or is this just not ever going to work out?

I know it's the government, and I'm somewhat of a minority due to this, but I really have no idea on it. I'd really appreciate any answers from people that actually know. I'm willing to work any other shift, be it all midnight shifts for years if that's what it takes to do this job. I'm very excited, but also very nervous.

Thanks for any help or guidance!
Aaron

To be blunt, I believe the only way you are going to be able to not work as an air traffic controller without working from sunset Friday to Saturday night is to be in a facility that is not open on weekends, and hope you can find someone to swap out your Friday evening shifts.

Honestly, I don't even know if there is a facility in the agency that is closed on weekends.

I've been a controller for 14 years, and the only time I've had a Saturday off is when I was on leave.

the fav RDO's at my facility are Fri/Sat since everyone wants the Sunday premium pay since its like an extra $100 a day for CPC under the new pay scale. So right at $5k per year just to show up to work. El Kabong is completely right about the pay increases at night and Sundays, you can get both and 25% for Sunday and 10% for nights, its great.

We actually work a week of days and week of nights so you can at least get every other night of the week off. Say you work a 2-2-1 on Wed/Thu off, you will work every single Fri and Sat night for a whole year, so no going out. At least with the alternating week of days/nighs you could have a weekend night to do something. But we have a few who chose to do the 2-2-1.

So they can force you to work on your Sabbath eh?

Can they also force you to eat pork?

This is from the rule book the FFA is theoretically currently using...

(incidentally, it's one of the articles that NATCA and the agency TAU'd)
source

ARTICLE 26
LEAVE FOR SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES

Section 3. An employee whose personal religious beliefs require the
abstention from work during certain periods of time may, after advanced
approval by the Agency, elect to engage in overtime worked for time loss for
meeting those religious requirements. Any employee who so elects shall be
granted equal compensatory time off from the employee’s scheduled tour of
duty (in lieu of overtime pay) for such religious reasons, not withstanding
any other provision of law. The earned compensatory time is used to cover
the absence for the religious observance. The Agency may disapprove an
employee’s request if work schedule modifications would interfere with
efficient accomplishment of the FAA mission.

The last sentence is the part they'll use most often.

Sorry you have to work on your Sabbath. Even the Israeli Army works on Saturday. I'm sure your minister will give you a dispensation.

Back