David Clark Headsets

Waples15

I'm looking at buying my first headset. I've demo'd a couple of different brands and like the David Clark sets the best. Specifically I'm looking at the H10-13.4 and the H20-10. Also, why would I care about "stereo" in aviation headsets? Thanks all/Dave

I used the DC 10-13.4 for a number of years and even upgraded to the 13.4XL ENC version. By far the best headset out there, in my opinion. They're lightweight, durable, and backed by an excellent company.

Stereo for the average pilot is really unnecessary. I had the stereo version and the only time I used it was flying a rich guy's Bonanza that had a stereo intercom and CD changer. It was oh-so-nice; if you have the means, I highly recommend it.

I agree. I have a H10-13.4, that I've used for about 5 years now, and I love it. I've never had a problem with it. On days when I'm actually busy, I can wear it comfortably on back-to-back flights all day without it making my head hurt. I'm not a big fan of ANR (or ENC, whatever you prefer to call it), so I like the simplicity of the 13.4, but I've heard the others are good as well.

Hi,

I've had an H10-60 for about a year and it's really nice. You are going to find that all of the "passive" headsets have a similar maximum noise reduction rating. The more expensive models just have more optional features. I would recommend one that "sits" on top of your head with a pad vs. a model that stays in place by "clamping" your ears, it will be more comfortable. You're probably looking at about a $200 jump from a top of the line "passive" to an otherwise-identical "active".

One specific feature that's nice to have is a combo boom/flex mike, so you can set the mike just where you want it, yet easily move it in and out of the way to cough, etc.

One thing I would avoid is a cheapie model with a boom mike - they tend to get loose and sloppy. If you get a cheap one a flex mike would probably work better.

I've had an H10-13.4 for almost ten years and still use it. It's a very comfortable headset. I would readily buy another one.

I tried on a ton, flew with a few and went with the H10-13X. If you can I'd pay extra for the ENC. First I bought the H20-10 and didn't like it. On the ground it was very comfy but had a tendency to move around a little while flying. The head band sits higher and I even hit the roof in a Cessna a couple times and I'm only 6 feet. Traded for the H10-13X and love it. They now have auto-shut off on the ENC battery which is great, I've left mine on to find 6 dead AA batteries. And the battery pack is much smaller with the 9 volt vs. the older 6 AAs. And they have new gel pads of which I know nothing about.

I flew the other day with a Flight Comm Denali with ANR and really liked it. Very comfortable, try one of those too.

[ QUOTE ]
The head band sits higher and I even hit the roof in a Cessna a couple times and I'm only 6 feet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, take a real good look at how high a headset sits on your head. The 13.4 has a real low profile on top. I always wore mine with the cloth covers over the earpieces- they made them even more comfortable. I wore my 13.4s six to eight legs a day in the Brasilia with no head-aches.

If you put the cloth covers over the gel ear seals, will the cloth affect the seal you get and let in more noise?

Not an issue in the sun belt but I bet those cloth covers are a better on freezing cold mornings vs. the gel.

My instructor gave me a great tip... put the headset on your thigh and/or over the heater on your drive to the airport.

Okay, you guys sold me on the 13.4's. I was looking at the 20-10 but had the same experience with them moving around on me during the demo. Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Dave

Heya,

Another vote in for the 13.4's if you're going passive DC. They were my first headset and I'm keeping them around for friends when I go flying and students when I get my CFI ticket. They were great when I didn't wear glasses or foggles, but now I'm always wearing one or the other and it hurts my head like none other. After about 2 hours the DC's feel like a vice on my head. It's nice when I get the glasses off, but otherwise for ME it's horrible. My instructor LOVES her DC H20-10's and swears by them. I thought they were the most uncomfy headset EVER. I just replaced my 13.4's with a Lightspeed Twenty 3G, expect some words on that one soon. So far I love the thing.

Anyways, 13.4's are great headsets, you'll enjoy em.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

[ QUOTE ]
They were great when I didn't wear glasses or foggles, but now I'm always wearing one or the other and it hurts my head like none other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh, that kinda sucks. I have croakies on my ray-bans, which make the ear-piece-thingies on the glasses (yeah, whatever you call 'em) slightly wider than normal, but with the gel ear seals on, I never have any problem, other than an indent of my glasses on my temple, but its not painful or anything. Spent over 5 hrs. in them today!
cool.gif

Yeah, I don't know anyone else who's had the problem, I seem to be the only one. No biggie though, I don't plan on wearing em for a long time. The way this Twenty 3G feels is worth it byself itself, not to speak of the ANR.

By the way, I love your signature; it so describes my life at college.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

DC still make the H-10-80? That's what I still have that I used in my flying. Nice headsets, albeit a little on the heavy side weight-wise.

MD

Hey can anyone tell me why they make a seperate chopper version with the better sound protection? Yes I know choppers make more noise but why don't they just make them all 'chopper' quality? Is it simply a price thing or what? and could you use a H version in a regualar aircraft?

[ QUOTE ]
Hey can anyone tell me why they make a seperate chopper version with the better sound protection? Yes I know choppers make more noise but why don't they just make them all 'chopper' quality? Is it simply a price thing or what? and could you use a H version in a regualar aircraft?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't the chopper ones have the coil cord with the single plug, ala military style too?

Great thread. I am getting into the headset market now (my current DCs that I "borrowed" are doing bad things regarding the mic on the ground. Sometimes while talking to a student or giving a takeoff brief I suddenly can't be heard.

I'd like to stick with DC, since it's a proven player in the headset market. Looks like a H10-13-4 is in my future!

Any comparisons between the DC ANR's and the Bose X Headsets? Anyone with experience with the Bose? They seem to be about $400-$500 more than the average ANR... can they really be worth it?

Bob

Back