Danger, Will Robinson, DANGER!

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
dangerous2.gif

Captain... umkay. I know what that is.

Co pilot/FO.. Ummkay, I know what that is too.

Flight Engineer... Ummkay, yup...

Navigator??!??!

Mariners, and later aircrew, used sextants to navigate celestially using stars at night or the sun during the day. Ever seen an old plane with the little buble on the top of the fuse just a little aft of where the cockpit is? That was used for celestial nav. The sextant is a handheld instrument with a site on it that was used to measure the azimuth from certain stars or the sun thereby determing the relative position of the boat or plane.

a. Hit the DIR/INTC button.
b. Bring the fix down to the scratchpad.
c. Push the corresponding button in the blank for "DIR"
d. Hit "execute'
e. Hit the "NAV" button.

smile.gif

I think I will skip trying to become a professional pilot from my current career (farmer, #8 most dangerous) and go straight to timber cutter. I want to be #1, Bring me my chainsaw!

Well, Doug, that FMS stuff is great 'til it fails. Then you better hope you've brought that sextant with to get you home.

Actually, I thought that at your age you might know more about a sextant than the rest of us.
cool.gif

Am I banned for life yet?

[ QUOTE ]
The sextant is a handheld instrument with a site on it that was used to measure the azimuth from certain stars or the sun thereby determing the relative position of the boat or plane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually a sextant measures the angle (altitude) of a celestial body in relation to the observer and the horizon. This measurement (combined with two others or sometimes used alone when its a sun or a moon sight) combined with a nautical or aviation almanac, sight reduction tables, and a few other corrections and calculations may be used with a DR position to more accurately position an aircraft or ship. (Simplified description)

These guys have a pretty good selection of current celestial navigation equipment and supplies. The site is a little educational if you have any interest.

Celestaire Naviagtion

Trust me you do not want to be a "Tiber Cutter"...or work in forestry. I did this for three years. I'm not surprised to see it number one. For one thing I can't begin to tell you how many lose tree limbs have gotten caught on other trees in a dense wooded area being cleared out. You see it happen and if you get distracted and forget about it then…

a.) someone starts to cut the tree down not knowing a "Widow Maker" is waiting to be released as the tree starts to fall the lose limb drops out and introduces itself to you (similar to getting hit by a bat from behind the only difference is the bat could be 10 -18 inches in diameter depending on the tree).

b.) a high wind loosens the limb and falls without warning on top of you. This was probably the number one kill next to tree climbers not linking up there safety gear properly and falling out of tree do to kickback of a limb being sawed off or snapping on them. Trees getting caught in a sudden burst of wind when they are being cut and going the wrong direction. In my three years I saw 7 serious injuries thankfully no deaths. You would always walk with one eye up in the trees and the other in the direction you were going. Surprised Mining didn't make the top 10.

[ QUOTE ]
Trust me you do not want to be a "Tiber Cutter"...

[/ QUOTE ]
TIIIIIIIIIIIBERRRRRRRR!!!
grin.gif

Ummm - do you mean... TiMber, perhaps??
wink.gif

It's the bush pilots in Alaska that are goosing the numbers. With many of the airports (if you can call them that) those guys fly out of, I understand why.

Supposedly, there is one airport up there where it says "successful go around unlikely." Yikes!

[ QUOTE ]
Supposedly, there is one airport up there where it says "successful go around unlikely." Yikes!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think MikeD has that approach chart somewhere.

Wow I must be getting smarter as I grow older. My first job was working in the woods with my Dad, in fact I quit high school in the 10th grade to go to work for him full time. Two weeks later I went back to school because we didn't get along but that is a story for another day.

During High school and during college breaks I worked in the local lumber mills ... I am soooo glad I still have all my fingers and toes.

Q: What is the most dangerous thing about flying?

A: Driving to the airport.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Kristie,

Who took the photo for your new avatar, a small Frenchman?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope - it's called self-timer on the camera! we don't like the idea of small frenchmen walking away with our very expensive goods - so we use the self-timer for a lot of them...

no offense to those small frenchmen out there - just a "play on words" that goes with the topic...
grin.gif

No chance of me handing some local a $900 digital camera!

Unless, of course, I had a 9mm to point at him after I handed him the camera to take our picture. But then that would be counterproductive!
smile.gif

Think Pepe Le Pew here for the accent

"Ahh, eet ess no prob-leem Madame,

Ey jus poosh deese booton heer, and, Ah ma Gosh, loook at dee Eifel Tow-rr." and he's off!

Back