Danger, Will Robinson, DANGER!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Supposedly, there is one airport up there where it says "successful go around unlikely." Yikes!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think MikeD has that approach chart somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny thing, I mentioned that in another forum. It's Cape Lisburne, Cape Romanzof, and Cape Newenham AFSs in Alaska. Interesting NDB approaches. In addition to the notes I posted about them, they also have "NOT FOR CIVIL USE" hehehe

Navigators also go into harms way in the B-1s, B-52s, F-15Es, F-14s, etc......

Ummm, okay so if being a pilot is #3 in fatalities, why isn't flight attendant right up there too? A lot of commercial flights don't have F/As, but when there are the F/As outnumber pilots sometimes 2:10! Seems to me that if being a pilot is so dangerous, being a flight attendant is too! Not to mention we're just along for the ride, if we're going to crash and burn there's absolutly nothing we can do about it!

I'm not saying I think being a flight attendant OR pilot is dangerous, the scariest moments I've ever had while on trips are on the van rides to/from the hotels!

[ QUOTE ]
Supposedly, there is one airport up there where it says "successful go around unlikely." Yikes!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think MikeD has that approach chart somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's in the newest AOPA Pilot or Flying. It was a LOOOONG flight from MCO to ABQ, so the two kinda ran together. ABQ to FMN was pretty short, though.

[ QUOTE ]
Ummm, okay so if being a pilot is #3 in fatalities, why isn't flight attendant right up there too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, because most of the fatalities don't occur on flights where there are flight attendants. Bush pilots in Alaska goose the numbers, and there aren't any flight attendants on those flights.

And the go around thing was in the latest AOPA magazine. It's Sparrevohn Long Range Radar Station. The remarks section says, "Winds in excess of 20 knots may produce severe turbulence. Takeoff runway 16 only; approach from south and land runway 34 only; successful go-around improbable."

There's a five percent gradient on that runway. Like I said, yikes.

You ever flown there, MikeD?

[ QUOTE ]
You ever flown there, MikeD?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Those LRRS stations are restricted to C-130/C-123/C-7 only. And the crews must go through a fam program.

Back