Daily Workout Thread

My work schedule threw a curve into my running, If I don't get hills in today I will tomorrow. They are "fun" from a challenge perspective at least.

The good thing is that's ok! Because of how your body reacts to stress, you have a certain amount of time to stress it in a specific way to get the results you want. Someone who specializes in fitness would be more knowledgable about this, but I'm sure it's directly related to the cycle you go through, with recovery and adaptation. When I ran Cross-Country in HS, our couch told us that roughly 2 1/2 weeks is the cycle to consider. In other words, it takes about that long for the body to completely adapt to what you did today.

So, you don't have to do hills today. As long as you check off your list in that cycle, you've done the job. The trick is to also be rested enough for each workout. You wouldn't be able to put all your quality work off until the very end of the cycle and expect to be able to get it all in, effectively. Generally, most people can handle 2 quality days in a row (for a specific stress) and then need a day off. Stick with a max of 3 quality days a week for each stress. Elite Athletes will do 4 a week for a period if time before a big event, but that's a lot of stress for most of us. Basically, in my long winded response, I'm trying to say that putting off hills today will not hurt you at all!

The good thing is that's ok! Because of how your body reacts to stress, you have a certain amount of time to stress it in a specific way to get the results you want. Someone who specializes in fitness would be more knowledgable about this, but I'm sure it's directly related to the cycle you go through, with recovery and adaptation. When I ran Cross-Country in HS, our couch told us that roughly 2 1/2 weeks is the cycle to consider. In other words, it takes about that long for the body to completely adapt to what you did today.

So, you don't have to do hills today. As long as you check off your list in that cycle, you've done the job. The trick is to also be rested enough for each workout. You wouldn't be able to put all your quality work off until the very end of the cycle and expect to be able to get it all in, effectively. Generally, most people can handle 2 quality days in a row (for a specific stress) and then need a day off. Stick with a max of 3 quality days a week for each stress. Elite Athletes will do 4 a week for a period if time before a big event, but that's a lot of stress for most of us. Basically, in my long winded response, I'm trying to say that putting off hills today will not hurt you at all!

Good points on rest. I started up sprints again doing 100% with 8x100's. I ran it fine, but could feel my body wasn't used to it. A few days latter, I was doing a ladder to 400's and felt the tightness bad. I just eased off and still did the workout. The last workout I posted had a bit of tightness and soreness involved, specifically in one leg, however once warmed up, I was able to complete a pretty intense workout. I was keeping a very close mental check on if there was any serious pain affecting me and did not feel I was pushing through a strain. Simply considered from an armchair perspective, my legs are getting used to the longer strides and the demand that requires on muscles. Overall, I have been looking for what you said, three days a week of sprints/hills/intervals over distance and one LSD run per week.

I also ran six miles in between two interval days at a decent pace (around 8:30 min/mile) when I have not ran LSD in about a month. Part of my running schedule is built of CF Endurance *gasp he said CF* but I found a lot of similarity in military style workouts for running further and faster with overall strength and endurance. Since my last run I have been off for about three days. Its a bit tougher getting motivated with cold setting in, as this is the first cold season I am pushing through, so I need some new gear. The half marathon I am getting ready for is actually really far out, my main concern is a sub 20 minute 3 mile time then taking that to a sub 34 minute 5 mile. The pace I want to hit for 13.1 is around 8 min/mile, yes even for my first half (I don't subscribe to "just finish the race on your first one").

Good points on rest. I started up sprints again doing 100% with 8x100's. I ran it fine, but could feel my body wasn't used to it. A few days latter, I was doing a ladder to 400's and felt the tightness bad. I just eased off and still did the workout. The last workout I posted had a bit of tightness and soreness involved, specifically in one leg, however once warmed up, I was able to complete a pretty intense workout. I was keeping a very close mental check on if there was any serious pain affecting me and did not feel I was pushing through a strain. Simply considered from an armchair perspective, my legs are getting used to the longer strides and the demand that requires on muscles. Overall, I have been looking for what you said, three days a week of sprints/hills/intervals over distance and one LSD run per week.

I also ran six miles in between two interval days at a decent pace (around 8:30 min/mile) when I have not ran LSD in about a month. Part of my running schedule is built of CF Endurance *gasp he said CF* but I found a lot of similarity in military style workouts for running further and faster with overall strength and endurance. Since my last run I have been off for about three days. Its a bit tougher getting motivated with cold setting in, as this is the first cold season I am pushing through, so I need some new gear. The half marathon I am getting ready for is actually really far out, my main concern is a sub 20 minute 3 mile time then taking that to a sub 34 minute 5 mile. The pace I want to hit for 13.1 is around 8 min/mile, yes even for my first half (I don't subscribe to "just finish the race on your first one").

If I've learned anything over the years since scholastic sports, it's the value of speed training and what just a tiny amount of it will do for you. From what you're saying, you shouldn't have a problem at all with meeting those goals. In fact, if you play your cards right, you might crack sub-8 for a half. I mean, if you can do an easy 6 at 8.5, 8 shouldn't be a problem at all as long as you're well rested and warmed up good. Depends on how much endurance strength you have and if you're not there already, speed training will get you there.

I'm as sore as all get out today. Trying to decide whether to do an easy run or just get as loose as I can and do my speed workout and hope the soreness works itself out. One of my calves may not let me keep the form to do that...

I believe it...something about VO2max...whatever it is, it works. I expect a plateau at some point but I will worry about that when I am there. I am also adding strength training, with focus on core and mobility of multiple muscle groups. I really do believe strength, speed work, and cal endurance work will make a better long distance runner. I am also recovering from trashed lungs, which even now seems to be the hold up.

Soreness like that is what I just went through. Once warm it was very manageable. I am still walking between sets and when I felt it tighten I would jog. not sure if thats right but I am confident in saying it feels fine and I am injury free.

With having stupidly high amounts of free time I've decided I have no excuse for not working out so I hopped back on the saddle a couple weeks back. Right now I'm at 187 lbs and 24% body fat. Starting about a week and a half ago I've started 30 minutes of 80% cardio, first doing hill interval on a treadmill but about a week in I switched that to hill interval on the elliptical. Workout 6 days a week, with the start days on Wednesdays (that's what works best with my work schedule) and the rest day on Sunday. Next wednesday I'm going to start doing an hour of Cardio, starting with the elliptical and then doing 30 minutes of 60% fat burn on a bicycle. After a week or two doing that, I'm going to gradually increase the bicycle workout up to 80%. Once I get down to around 18% body fat I'm going to start adding weightlifting after the cardio, and hopefully bring my body fat to around 12-13%. Any less and I won't have enough energy stores for longer endurance activities-I play an hour of ice hockey every week- and any more and I'll be dragging around dead weight on the ice.

I'm an very blonde idiot so I decided to try Insanity: The Asylum's Speed and Agility workout after work.

35 minutes in I was hating life. But with 10 minutes remaining I decided to just push through (again I'm an idiot).

That being said I got through all 45 minutes of it. Granted I took some 10 second breaks (most would too). And yes I wanted REALLY wanted to stop. But I decided to push through.

Friday: Asylum Strength (crap).

Saturday: Asylum Game day + Overtime (again I'm an idiot :P).

Quick update. Tried Asulym Stregth and made it (had to take a few breaks). Very evil workout but in a way I rather like it.

Then there's Asylum Gameday. It's one hour pure evil that goes fastish. Although I was very close to my breaking point with 15 minutes on the clock. Still don't know why or how I still held on during that final stretch.

Might have to do more of this as I like the challenge.

Has everyone been slacking?

6x200s with 4 sets of max pullups and 20 pushups in between.

Ab work today. Maybe get 3 miles in.

I'm training for a weightlifting meet in a few weeks (just finished my first meet two weeks ago).

Tuesday:
Tempo Snatch pulls (3 sec down) 5x5 up to 60-65%
Below the knee hang power snatch 4x3 up to 60-65% or higher
Below the knee hang power clean + power jerk up to 60-65% or higher
Split jerk 6x3 last set at 75%
Behind the neck push press 4x4 AHAP

3 rounds of:
7 back extentions w/barbell on back
10 DB strict press each side
15 KB swings

Lifting > running :)

90 minute easy run yesterday. Experimenting with hydrating during that run. Never have before but I want to see how much it actually improves my performance. It's weird...drinking while running.

90 minute easy run yesterday. Experimenting with hydrating during that run. Never have before but I want to see how much it actually improves my performance. It's weird...drinking while running.

How did that workout/feel/improve performance? Personally I am a total minimalist running - lightest shoes for terrain, MP3 player, and key. I can not stand bulk when running.

In any case, yesterday:

4x100
4X200
4x25 pushups
4x5 pullups

Knot in quad so I kept the pace off of full sprints but was not worth stopping, stretched it out a bit and its gone today. Time to start ungluing my sticks.

Ran four miles on trails, slight elevation changes at just over a 8 min/mile pace the day before. I think a hill day is up next followed by more 200s and maybe getting into 400s. That 3 mile time is gonna die :)

Did "Murph" the other day. A crossfit workout dedicated to the life of Lt. Michael P Murphy.
1 mile run
100 pull-ups
200 push-ups
300 air squats
1 mile run

1:07

I've been spending the past four months going to HIIT classes (I usually go four to five times a week).

Honestly I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love the fact that I'm getting fit and I lost a more weight. On the hate side of it those classes are brutal (like horribly brutal). But like I said I'm seeing some good results so I'll keep going.

Early this week was okay - did a 4.5 mile run yesterday with hills and was lack luster, need to get my head more in the game. Or maybe I'm just fatigued a bit from my running. Or maybe I just need to suck it up. :)

Today was off, tomorrow will be a sprint day with circuit cals at the end.

1/2 warmup
1x100
2x250
2x300
2x400
5x300
1/2 cool down

Long rest periods in between - the last 5 300s had 100 meter walk, a few second for hydration than back on it.

Back