daily pic

52196305291_549e29a1a8_b.jpg

A couple Transuto Convairs and the remnants of the Red Air flight:
52195296477_52f24d0005_b.jpg

Convair 580 and a 5800 (or whatever that stretched one is called)
I was wondering about that. Both have 54H60 Ham/STD props and Allison 501 engines but the short one one looks like it has C-130 props and the stretch looks like P-3 props. The C-130 prop blade design was built to be able to use short rugged airstrips and the P-3 blade design was built more for efficiency at cruise/higher speed. If you've ever seen a picture of the Rare Bear with the 3-bladed prop that's where the blades came from, modified P-3 blades, a Connie 1649 hub and a custom spinner and backplate. No beta and no feather. I was still in A/P school when I started working on it and we had to build a model as part of an aerodynamics assignment (I chose the bearcat as mine for obvious reasons), I used those old little wooden ice cream spoons for blades on mine. Only one was ever built and from what I understand it's just hanging on a wall in a hangar somewhere. Makes me sad.
image1.JPG

Last edited:
I'll be there next week (for a day), assuming the passenger caps at Heathrow don't apply to non revs on BA or Virgin.
Yeah I'm wondering how that'll go, place is a hot mess right now. We actually left 15 minutes past scheduled departure the other day and that was much winning.

I'm at home sick at the moment, but perhaps the scheduling will send me to Heathrow next week again. And may the non-rev gods smile upon thee!

Yeah I'm wondering how that'll go, place is a hot mess right now. We actually left 15 minutes past scheduled departure the other day and that was much winning.

I'm at home sick at the moment, but perhaps the scheduling will send me to Heathrow next week again. And may the non-rev gods smile upon thee!
hang on to your hats. 40 deg C forecast Mon/Tue.

Back