daily pic

Worked this scholar and gentleman today

View attachment 55563

Keep an eye out for this bird:
1600700869705.png

This one didn't have the right seating config for the LHR-SFO flights, which were first class heavy due to all the tech traffic, so we only ever saw it once on a rare swap in early 2020. Who would have know it'd be the first and last time I'd see the Landor retro fly? I hope that raw bat was worth it.

G-BNLY.jpg

Speaking of 747s, here is a Hail Mary shot that kind of came out after dark of the first time a Qantas 787 passed one of their 747s at SFO, shortly after the MEL-SFO 787 flights had started (flight QF49 named after our NFL team!). This 747-400, "Wanula", used to be the colorful "Wanula Dreaming" and has a small sticker by the cockpit of the purple Kangaroo that was the centerpiece of that livery. It was the last Qantas 747 to ferry out of Australia to VCV, drawing the viral Qantas logo in the sky on the way out. On that evening, I "accidentally" told Qantas to tow back from the hard stands a little too early and they didn't have a gate open, and coincidentally, it just happened to be right when the 787 was arriving. :) SYD went to the 787 in December 2019 and the 4x weekly MEL flight was supplemented by a BNE flight the other 3 days of the week around the same time to give SFO 2 daily Qantas 787s. Now with COVID, Qantas hasn't flown to SFO in months and is tentatively planning an October 2021 return.

VH-OEJ.jpg

N494HA.jpg

Taken standing on the seat of a rented convertible pulled over in the dirt near the runway at OGG with the 36 knot winds whipping around on an 85 degree day. It was an amazing hour hanging out until my girlfriend had enough and wanted to go to the beach, and I couldn't have asked for a more Hawaiian shot.

N494HA.jpg

Taken standing on the seat of a rented convertible pulled over in the dirt near the runway at OGG with the 36 knot winds whipping around on an 85 degree day. It was an amazing hour hanging out until my girlfriend had enough and wanted to go to the beach, and I couldn't have asked for a more Hawaiian shot.

Is Hawaii allowing visitors from the continental US? I know they went into an actual lockdown once upon a while ago but I've been ACHING to go back and spend some time down there again.

From the Basic Med physical form.

Thanks AOPA for fighting for this one, but I feel like it's more weird if he doesn't check my prostate here ...

Basic Med.JPG

Is Hawaii allowing visitors from the continental US? I know they went into an actual lockdown once upon a while ago but I've been ACHING to go back and spend some time down there again.
This trip was last September, but as of now, you're "supposed" to quarantine either for 2 weeks on arrival or until you get a negative test result. People living there have said it is not very enforced usually that you stay in a hotel room for 2 weeks, but I'm not sure if you get arrested or something for violating it. United is starting to give tests+results prior to boarding from SFO-HNL\OGG\LIH\KOA, and others like Hawaiian and Alaska plan to follow, as this means you step right off the plane and onto vacation. I'm also hoping that it means no masks on board and actual service, since everyone on the aircraft just got negative results, but of that I am not sure.

Once Alaska does it, I plan on heading out to OGG on a buddy pass. But of course, I'll avoid people entirely and just hang out on some uncrowded beaches and take some photos by the airport. But Hawaii is the perfect get away with her having 2 days off thanks to the timezones. Fly out on the morning of her first day off and land just 2 hours later time wise, redeye back 2 days later, she still gets a full nights sleep plus a nap on the plane before her 3PM start on the 3rd day.

Here is one of the best looking 747s still flying today, wearing the colors of the Hainan Group, seen leaving LAX:

B-2432.jpg

This trip was last September, but as of now, you're "supposed" to quarantine either for 2 weeks on arrival or until you get a negative test result. People living there have said it is not very enforced usually that you stay in a hotel room for 2 weeks, but I'm not sure if you get arrested or something for violating it. United is starting to give tests+results prior to boarding from SFO-HNL\OGG\LIH\KOA, and others like Hawaiian and Alaska plan to follow, as this means you step right off the plane and onto vacation. I'm also hoping that it means no masks on board and actual service, since everyone on the aircraft just got negative results, but of that I am not sure.

For now, you are stuck with a 14 day quarantine in your hotel room. No going out for food or exercise. It is being enforced. A lot of the hotels are issuing keycards that only work one time. If you break quarantine, as a tourist or as a resident (and they were being pretty aggressive in tracking people) you are hit with $5000 fine and up to 1 year in jail.

Starting October 15th you can come into the state with no quarantine if you have an accepted negative covid test in the last 72 hours. United is offering 15 minute tests in SFO (for $250) and a take home test for a bunch less. The issue with the take home test that they are offering is that it isn't video supervised, and the state isn't going to accept it. Hawaiian is offering drive through testing (either day of or day prior) near LAX and SFO. They are also offering an approved take home test with overnight processing (for $150). I think American is offering something in Dallas too.

Interestingly enough, the Oakland airport is offering free tests for travelers going to Hawaii at the airport, although it's at the north terminal complex.

I haven't heard anything, but I'd guess that masks will still be required on all flights.

Once out here, most stuff is open, with limited amounts of seating/entry.

For now, you are stuck with a 14 day quarantine in your hotel room. No going out for food or exercise. It is being enforced. A lot of the hotels are issuing keycards that only work one time. If you break quarantine, as a tourist or as a resident (and they were being pretty aggressive in tracking people) you are hit with $5000 fine and up to 1 year in jail.

Starting October 15th you can come into the state with no quarantine if you have an accepted negative covid test in the last 72 hours. United is offering 15 minute tests in SFO (for $250) and a take home test for a bunch less. The issue with the take home test that they are offering is that it isn't video supervised, and the state isn't going to accept it. Hawaiian is offering drive through testing (either day of or day prior) near LAX and SFO. They are also offering an approved take home test with overnight processing (for $150). I think American is offering something in Dallas too.

Interestingly enough, the Oakland airport is offering free tests for travelers going to Hawaii at the airport, although it's at the north terminal complex.

I haven't heard anything, but I'd guess that masks will still be required on all flights.

Interesting, I had just read about the October 15th thing today and thought it was silly people would pay that. I've gotten tested after every time I've flown somewhere this year and it was always free and I always got the results the same day. It is just a bit of a crap shoot as people who went to the same testing center as me say they didn't get theirs for 3 or 4 days in some cases so perhaps that is the incentive to pay absorbent fees for a test.

I plan to come out in October hopefully, the good thing about standby is if the results don't come in time, just go the next day LOL.

Hey @ChasenSFO want to make a trip to Hawaii to go anno- [visit] @BobDDuck some time late OCT/early NOV??

View attachment 55728

Here's this Pixar Tail 737 that stopped by out here the other night; you know, because, pictures.
If I can, I was going to go with my girlfriend this time to OGG and then maybe make another trip out to see @BobDDuck and another friend who flies for HA out on Oahu. All depends what's going on with my flight training by then as I should be done with all my written exams by Nov unless I bomb them LOL.

Do kids have to get the covid test too?

Back