CVG - Nibbled to death.

Everyone is different. I have lived in many different places, and N. Kentucky certainly ain't my favorite, and I don't plan on buying a house here or live here forever. I commuted for about a year, and that sucked big time, so I sucked it up and moved to N. Kentucky. I like the fact that I only live 4.5 miles from the employee lot, and that I can drive there in my own car. Definitely an advantage when you are on reserve or want to get home quick after a long 4 day trip. I like the fact that I can get in my car and drive to the store, movies, etc. Cost of living here is fairly cheap, and I have a nice, quiet apartment for the money you would pay for a room in a crashpad with 20 other dudes in JFK. There are many Pros and Cons between CVG/JFK, and it depends on the person as well. If I lived in Florida, I'd probably be based in JFK as well. The atmosphere and crews are definitely more laid back in JFK than CVG.

Either way, I won't matter for too much longer, as I will also be furloughed in a few months, and I get to pack up and move to another city AGAIN.
You have an apartment in CVG for $200 +-? Crash pads at JFK are between $175 and $300. Mine was $190 and it was on the bay in Broad Channel. My F/A girlfriend just moved into a cp for $275 (which I tell her is too expensive), but it is a brand new house and their are only 5 FA's in it. My cp only had 5 pilots; 2 JB capts., me, 1 United capt, and 1 AA capt. I only met 2 of them, most times I was the only one there. I guess if you want the party atmosphere, you can go into one of those mega cp's in KG, but that's not for me.
My apartment on Ewing in Florence, KY was a 2 bdr, 2 bath for $725
My 1200 sqft. condo (3 bdr, 2 bath) in Punta Gorda, FL is $750, 5 minutes from the bay, with a lake about 10 feet off my screened porch, full gym, pool, gated community.

I was based in CVG for about 8 months and I really liked it. I was commuting at the time from San Diego so I couldn't afford another expensive city. So it was cheap and I really enjoyed the nightlife down there by the river (can't remember what the area was called). The Cock and Bull was down there and had great fish and chips for the Midwest. Since our base closed in CVG a couple months ago we have these crazy long 30 hour overnights that most people I know really look forward to. We stay at a place that is walking distance to all the night life and if you really want you can rent a car and drive home to CMH or even have the wife drive down and make it a little vacation. Also I think it is one on the best commuting airports. You could get anywhere you wanted to go and it never had the crazy busy "hub" feeling that ATL, ORD, JFK have. It was a great base for commuters. Sad to see good ole' CVG getting picked apart. I would pick CVG over MSP or DTW any day. Plus when the big 3 auto makers go tango uniform there will be nothing up there anyways! :sarcasm::)
C&B is in Covington, KY (Mainstrasse area), and yes Fish & Chips are great! The place by the water is Newport on the Levee. A great place to eat there is Buckhead Mountain Grill (next to Joe's Crab Shack)
CVG may be great for commuting from the west, but from the east it sucks. When I lived in PA I had a choice between ABE and PHL. The flights from PHL were almost always full and they cut some of the ABE flights. To/From FL you can forget it, only one a day from RSW and just a couple from MCO and TPA. And they are all Delta (Because CVG is DeltaLand), no other options. My options to NY are many flights on different airlines.

Supposedly they wanted to get rid of the 767 base their altogether...but displacements were too expensive. It'll downsize to a small ER base that will probably be a very seniorand crummy category full of six day trips that go to three destinations.

Also heard CVG will probably close within a couple of years.

If anyone is buying real estate in CVG or MEM expecting to not have to commute needs their head checked because those two are gone baby gone in the next couple of years.

C&B is in Covington, KY (Mainstrasse area), and yes Fish & Chips are great! The place by the water is Newport on the Levee. A great place to eat there is Buckhead Mountain Grill (next to Joe's Crab Shack)
CVG may be great for commuting from the west, but from the east it sucks. When I lived in PA I had a choice between ABE and PHL. The flights from PHL were almost always full and they cut some of the ABE flights. To/From FL you can forget it, only one a day from RSW and just a couple from MCO and TPA. And they are all Delta (Because CVG is DeltaLand), no other options. My options to NY are many flights on different airlines.

Yeah I have no idea how the east bound commute would be but it was always great to the west coast. CVG was fun while it lasted and I always look forward to the CVG layovers... I guess most anything besides Europe and the big west coast cities are RJ routes so I can see your point.

My crashpad was in Florence and I saw a thing (girl I think) on her 21st birthday throw up all over a table at a restaurant and when the manager tried to kick her and her mother out the mother started arguing with the manager and the police ended up coming. From that moment on I knew I would always love the Cincinnati northern Kentucky area!

Yeah I have no idea how the east bound commute would be but it was always great to the west coast. CVG was fun while it lasted and I always look forward to the CVG layovers... I guess most anything besides Europe and the big west coast cities are RJ routes so I can see your point.

My crashpad was in Florence and I saw a thing (girl I think) on her 21st birthday throw up all over a table at a restaurant and when the manager tried to kick her and her mother out the mother started arguing with the manager and the police ended up coming. From that moment on I knew I would always love the Cincinnati northern Kentucky area!
HA! Funny S@#t! I was in the Walmart off Kyle way one night around 1am on the way back to the hotel during training. There was a girl at the register waiting to pay. As I walked up, I noticed she had a great body and beautiful long hair. I approached to be the next person to pay for my items and she turned around and looked at me. AHHHHHHH! She had a face that looked like the surface of Titan and 3 teeth (yes, 3)!!! It was like those old Benny Hill episodes, where he sees a hot chick with long blonde hair, then they turn around and it's a guy! Hilarious!
What's wrong with us? Why do we find such joy in other's unfortunate conditions? I don't know, but it sure is fun!

If anyone is buying real estate in CVG or MEM expecting to not have to commute needs their head checked because those two are gone baby gone in the next couple of years.
Yeah that's why we rent!;) It's not fun watching your airline slowly being picked apart. We actually found out yesterday that Delta is trying to sell 6 CRJ's that we own outright, out from under us. They're all for sale immediately if anyone wants to buy one!:rolleyes:

I'm still holding out hope that MEM might get turned into a reliever for ATL. LOTS of open gate space + a city that's hurting so badly for business they'll bend over backwards on tax breaks might make it happen. They've already offered Pinnacle tax exemption on a couple of locations just to entice them to move Colgan HQ down here.

Now, if my hope turns out not to be true, I'll just exercise my ALPA negotiated displacement rights and let the company pay to move me to MCO. :)

I'm still holding out hope that MEM might get turned into a reliever for ATL. LOTS of open gate space + a city that's hurting so badly for business they'll bend over backwards on tax breaks might make it happen. They've already offered Pinnacle tax exemption on a couple of locations just to entice them to move Colgan HQ down here.

Now, if my hope turns out not to be true, I'll just exercise my ALPA negotiated displacement rights and let the company pay to move me to MCO. :)
Ah, I always forget there is a city worse than Cincinnati, it's Memphis! I was based there for a while while in the USMC, then I drove tractor trailer deliveries there later. What a pit. What was Elvis thinking?

One of my old college friends that is a Comair captain sent me a pretty gloomy email :(

Nothing about any news on the company, I just haven't seen the poor guy so melancholy before.

One of my old college friends that is a Comair captain sent me a pretty gloomy email :(

Nothing about any news on the company, I just haven't seen the poor guy so melancholy before.
Yeah it's spreading like a wildfire!:( It's nothing but a big beatdown session here. The amount of furloughs and furlough numbers goes up week by week.

Considering DeltaWest's HUGEMONGUS bases in ATL and MSP, I'd say these two bases are pretty much toast eventually.

Ah, I always forget there is a city worse than Cincinnati, it's Memphis! I was based there for a while while in the USMC, then I drove tractor trailer deliveries there later. What a pit. What was Elvis thinking?

Eh, it was different back then. Also, keep in mind he came from Tupelo, MS. Memphis was big city livin to him. :)

Wife and I were discussing moving back to MCO again today. Then again, that's become a daily occurrence.

Back