Current Star-Bright student

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey David,

If you don't mind me asking, what are you planning to do after you finish all your ratings at Star Bright? Do you plan to flight instruct? If so, how is the job market looking for flight instructors? When I read on JC that pilots are being furloughed and some FBOs are receiving upwards of 10 resumes a day from former regional airline pilots, I feel a little reluctant to start training if there isn't a job after finishing. I know you mentioned on your blog that Travis from White Air got a gig at Flight Safety, but those opportunities are quickly drying up, aren't they? Anyways, any insight would be appreciated. Thanks~

Ryan

Hey Ryan,

If you don't mind, I'll publish my reply on JC because its a question may people are asking now. Sorry I haven't updated my blog recently; I'm hoping to catch-up soon :)

To answer your questions: Travis not only landed a job instructing at FS after going from zero to MEI in 5 months by along the way he turned down a guarenteed $30/hr, 80 hrs/mth at Riverside (OK) for a chance to interview at FS, and then after FS offered hiom a job, he went across the street to Parisair and got a job paying $2/hr more. Now he has 5 full time students and a nice place on the water with a boat slip. Not too bad :)

Flight Instructor jobs are literally everywhere! Its like nursing jobs now: all you ned to do is pick the area you want to be in, and then choose among schools that offer jobs. There is a shortage of flight instructors (not too many furloughed pilots go back to flight instructing).

As for jobs at the regionals, the market is now picking up (and oil is way down again). I know this because Colgan, Cape Air, Great Lakes and a several other regionals are now hiring. And a 20 year regional pilot I hung out with yesterday said that these and other regionals will now often hire below their published minimums (he knew several guys who got hired with under 300 total hours and less than 10 hours of multi time!)

Throw into this mix that over the next 2 years the pilots (most of them) who kept flying when the retirement age increased to 65 will soon be retiring, and that there is now a current shortage of pilots in training. That, couples with Obama being elected, and oil way down will lead to lots of regional job openings over the next several years--at least that is my educated guess.

As for me--I have no idea! I may stay here. We are getting more students, and two instructors are teaching pretty much full-time now. The house is fun to live at, as its aviation 24/7. But I might go teach at a bigger school, or go straight to a regional. I should have my MEI by January and will put in applications with regionals soon. If I get hired at one of them I might take the job--its exciting not knowing what my life will look like in 3-6 months from now :hiya:

Hope this helps. :)
-david

How is Obama going to help? He will raise corporate taxes and make it harder for airlines to make a profit. I guess there will be a short term increase in air travel as people flee out of the country.

Hey Jim! Nice webpage. Good to see you at KTOP last week.

As for the cause of an impending uptick in airtravel that psychic Ms Judy predicts--If not from the mass exodus of red state inhabitants via aircraft, then perhaps from the hope that the country just might make it out of this mess. Or maybe its as simple as oil getting cheap again. :)

Still working on website, I need more time or take more time to add to it. I may have found a new student for star-bright. I found a student looking for an multi add-on. I steered him to star-bright.

Flight Instructor jobs are literally everywhere! Its like nursing jobs now: all you ned to do is pick the area you want to be in, and then choose among schools that offer jobs. There is a shortage of flight instructors (not too many furloughed pilots go back to flight instructing).

Thanks for the response, but where are you hearing that flight instructor jobs are everywhere? Aren't there 3 or 4 threads on the Jobs Needed forum looking for CFI positions? It seems like people are having a hard time finding positions

I base my view that there are lots of instructing jobs out there for several reasons. I've seen three out of three low-time (and one zero dual-given) instructors get jobs at Flight Safety in the last month. I've seen another zero-dual given pilot turn down a $30/hr 80/hr/mth. job that was landed over the phone. I've talked with regional pilots and current flight instructors in NY & KS, and I've seen lots of flight instructor job listings on several websites. And with Great Lakes, Colgan, and Cape Air now hiring that should make even more room at the bottom of the food chain. Hope this helps :)

As for Star-Bright's Part 141 Status: Construction continues on two other buildings, a land line was just installed (141 requirement), and the final paperwork will soon be submitted to the FAA so that they can schedule the last inspection here. I expect that inspection will happen sometime in December.

For those of you who actually look at the pics I post on my blog, I appologize for not posting in several weeks. My computer died and along with it my camera connection. :panic: I hope to have things fixed soon and to be back posting next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back