Current Pan Am Students messaage board

Actually I can help you with the instrument class. Take it when Rob Stahl teaches it if he is still at Pan Am. Really, I'm not kidding! He was one of the best instructors I've ever had and he really knows his stuff and keeps class interesting. Also get Rod Machado's instrument guide -- that was a lifesaver. Or just leave Pan Scam and save thousands! /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

PS- And, oh yeah, FBOs rule.

gleim to pass the tests, its the only way. couple days before your tests just study like crazy on the gleim....its what the test is based out of. and know those enroute charts and approach plates.

read about all the navigation aids of IFR flight, know the different types of VOR's and their service volumes...also ndb's and what not in the same way. know how an HSI works, and understand how to be situational aware at all times.

you'll leanr a bunch more in the class, but the tests are all gleim related. just be vigilant of the fill in the blanks questions. you can't just memorize the big red book, but it doesn't hurt.

come back here when you get near the first test and i'll try to fill you in specifically on what to expect for that test. you'll just have to let me know what areas you guys have gone over up to then. i can't remember off the top of my head what areas they taught in what order

Yeah get the Rod Machado Book- it's good. Also at the AZ Pan Am they were real big on "scenerios" What you would do if... situations. Memorize 91.285(c) and read the AIM on IFR Procedures. It's probably a good idea to read that stuff ahead. And don't forget to read part 69.123 - it gives a pretty good breakdown on how Pan Am will suck you DRY of money- cause they will!! HEH HEH.. had to through that in there /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif Good Luck

Hey Dak

Your tests were gleim related questions? NO FAIR. Our tests were hard as hell. Some answers were a couple paragraphs long!! I guess the harder the better though.

Unfortunately for current and future IR students, Stahl is no longer teaching the IR ground. He moved over to the flight side and is teaching CFI candidates, like me!

Yes, study the gleim. Many of the test questions are directly out of the gleim. I realized that when I first opened it after the class, I wish I would have taken Stahl's advice to go through the gleim before the tests. At least go through the sections that the test is on. About 1/4 of the final is a lost comm scenario. You have to say what arrival and approach you'll use, and what altitudes to use and when, where to hold and how long, etc etc.

Study your weather books. Weather is large part of the IR training. Know all the weather charts and what info they portray and what they're good for.

take a real good look at the different weather charts, that was a big killer on stage checks.

I have one statemnet in response to your view on that instructor at Pan Am DVT " Your clearence void time is 2 hours" and yes I am quoting.

Back