Current and Future hiring

As someone who’s primarily always worked swings or overnights, the value in a top floor unit (with an elevator in the building if you can swing it) cannot be overstated.
Blackout film on the windows, a blindfold and ear plugs. Turns out the way to take a nap during the day when you have kids, is also the way to get good sleep when you work nights.

And I prefer night shift. It’s less peopley.

Blackout film on the windows, a blindfold and ear plugs. Turns out the way to take a nap during the day when you have kids, is also the way to get good sleep when you work nights.

Don't forget the portable AC for the extra razzle dazzle. The downside of having a top floor unit with southern exposure is my Central Air is working in overdrive this time of year. A portable AC makes a world of difference and makes that sleep hit jusstttt a bit harder.

Memory foam mattress remains one of the most important investments I've made since I got my first dispatch job. Consistently being able to get 8-12 hours of sleep with the blackout curtains and ear plugs when working nights is priceless...

Few people pay attention to interest rates and its impact on hiring. The last hiring boom was on the back of a hot economy that the Fed was desperately trying to slow down by raising rates. Those raises have a lag of 6-12 months or more. At the time, 2022-23, labour was a key driver of inflation, which meant job cuts across industries were expected to reduce inflation. The last 12 months have seen an increase in the unemployment rate to 4,1 percent today. Fed had been tightening until July 2023 and held rates steady since. This means the labour market we're seen today is a result of Fed action in mid 2022 to mid 2023, which we saw as the winding down of the hiring boom. The effects of those hikes will continue until 2025 and early 26. Remove other company specific factors that are affecting their operations, and its obvious that 24-25 and possibly early 26 will be incredibly difficult and very competitive for job seekers. The Fed could cut rates too quickly and overheat the economy and the hiring could tick up as a result, if combined with clearing of company specific problems (aircraft deliveries, engine parts, etc) in coming months.

Few people pay attention to interest rates and its impact on hiring. The last hiring boom was on the back of a hot economy that the Fed was desperately trying to slow down by raising rates. Those raises have a lag of 6-12 months or more. At the time, 2022-23, labour was a key driver of inflation, which meant job cuts across industries were expected to reduce inflation. The last 12 months have seen an increase in the unemployment rate to 4,1 percent today. Fed had been tightening until July 2023 and held rates steady since. This means the labour market we're seen today is a result of Fed action in mid 2022 to mid 2023, which we saw as the winding down of the hiring boom. The effects of those hikes will continue until 2025 and early 26. Remove other company specific factors that are affecting their operations, and its obvious that 24-25 and possibly early 26 will be incredibly difficult and very competitive for job seekers. The Fed could cut rates too quickly and overheat the economy and the hiring could tick up as a result, if combined with clearing of company specific problems (aircraft deliveries, engine parts, etc) in coming months.
Explain this to me, like I’m a high mins captain 🤔

This gives the same doom and gloom chaptgpt-esque response that one guy on the subreddit used to always harp on. The only thing it was missing was the “AI will replace us all in 5 years” bit.

But yeah the only thing that’s going to make it any more competitive is the fact that dispatch mills keep pumping out new dispatchers despite the lack of jobs.

It might be a good time to proofread your resume and keep your eyes on the United Careers website in the next few weeks.
1722379711096.jpeg

Taking any news with a grain of salt until I see it myself

From what I recall being told (I myself not being a UA employee) was that all classes as of the beginning of 2023 were assigned to Arlington and the full switchover was supposed to take place in late 24.

Suburbs outside ORD that are supposedly less susceptible to floods and looting.
Oh yeah I think the basement flooded and knocked out power some time ago. That makes sense.

The looting on the other hand I hadn’t heard about were there people trying to get into United?? Thats unfortunate if so Elk Grove is boring and out of the way. Would be much better to work in the city.

Entire NOC team no longer works at Willis/Sears Tower now, correct?
All training will take place in Arlington Heights. All future job assignments will be at Arlington Heights, so plan on this. There are no public transportation solutions provided by the company so plan on driving to work.

All training will take place in Arlington Heights. All future job assignments will be at Arlington Heights, so plan on this. There are no public transportation solutions provided by the company so plan on driving to work.
So unfortunate, thats one of the reasons why I chose United (when I worked there no in DX) too was the ease of public transit.

Why did they move out of Sears?
No idea.
Oh yeah I think the basement flooded and knocked out power some time ago. That makes sense.

The looting on the other hand I hadn’t heard about were there people trying to get into United?? Thats unfortunate if so Elk Grove is boring and out of the way. Would be much better to work in the city.

I dunno about corporate theft, but over the past couple nights alone there has been a string of crime affecting NOC personnel working at Willis. One person was car jacked leaving the parking garage. Another was dropped off right at one of the entrances to Willis and within that 20-ish ft from curb to the door was robbed. Then I guess last night everyones cars got broken into.

That being said, The general consensus I got from people who have worked at Willis for a long time is that the area is generally safe and they like working there. Most of em dont wanna leave.

Fairly good chance of at least one class in the spring 2025. If a certain manufacturer can get their act together, said company is still looking at another 80 dispatchers. Which would put UA just shy of 700 dispatchers.

Back