Current and Future hiring

totallymyhatnow

Hey all. I know that the fact that the industry is in a lull right now has been discussed a good amount, and I understand the overall outlook is really good. With that said, is there a list anywhere that shows who is currently hiring (if anybody) as far as 121 operations go? Along with that....does anybody know of any airlines that should be opening their hiring soon?

I'm in the process of getting my Dispatch certificate and will have it in hand come early September. I've been told to go ahead and apply for any openings I see, and just state that i'll have the cert in a few weeks. I fully understand that I'll need to start out at the regionals....and I'm good with that. Honestly, the pay is still better than I make now. But how often do regionals such as SkyWest and Endeavor open applications? I know they were just hiring so I don't expect them to open again anytime soon....but you guys here would know better than I would. I'm just ready to get going in this career as i'm in my early 30s and am so burnt out on the regular retail and corporate world. Aviation and weather facinate me, so the opportunity to get paid to do the things I nerd out on....I'm ready. I'm just curious about when can I realistically expect to see more openings? I understand all the variables such as the Boeing and P&W issues and when they get resolved things will be better.....but I'm just kind of discouraged because I'm ready to be in this field, but I wish I would have known about dispatch 2-3 years ago, instead of trying to get into it during a pretty tough time to get into it.

So I just wanted to create this thread to ask if anybody knows any specifics about any airlines? Thanks yall.

Not sure about Edeavor but SkyWest pretty much has a class every three months so I would expect their next posting to come in the next month or so. The first gig is the hardest to get so apply for everything and be prepared to take whatever offer you get. Once you get some experience is much easier to get your next job at someplace more desirable. And then after couple years at the regional level you can start applying for the majors.

What I did when I was searching for my first job was to go to the careers website for every regional carrier that I would consider working for (List of airlines of the United States - Wikipedia) and then book mark that web page. Collect those bookmarks into one folder. Then everyday I would sit down at the computer and pull up all of those web sites to check for new postings. Hold down the control key (command key for Mac) while clicking the bookmarked folder and it will open a separate tab for each website bookmarked. Have your resume in order and ready to go so that when an airline makes a post you can submit your app right away.

Good luck!

Hey all. I know that the fact that the industry is in a lull right now has been discussed a good amount, and I understand the overall outlook is really good. With that said, is there a list anywhere that shows who is currently hiring (if anybody) as far as 121 operations go? Along with that....does anybody know of any airlines that should be opening their hiring soon?

I'm in the process of getting my Dispatch certificate and will have it in hand come early September. I've been told to go ahead and apply for any openings I see, and just state that i'll have the cert in a few weeks. I fully understand that I'll need to start out at the regionals....and I'm good with that. Honestly, the pay is still better than I make now. But how often do regionals such as SkyWest and Endeavor open applications? I know they were just hiring so I don't expect them to open again anytime soon....but you guys here would know better than I would. I'm just ready to get going in this career as i'm in my early 30s and am so burnt out on the regular retail and corporate world. Aviation and weather facinate me, so the opportunity to get paid to do the things I nerd out on....I'm ready. I'm just curious about when can I realistically expect to see more openings? I understand all the variables such as the Boeing and P&W issues and when they get resolved things will be better.....but I'm just kind of discouraged because I'm ready to be in this field, but I wish I would have known about dispatch 2-3 years ago, instead of trying to get into it during a pretty tough time to get into it.

So I just wanted to create this thread to ask if anybody knows any specifics about any airlines? Thanks yall.

My advice would be to decide on what is important in your life.

If quality of life is important, I would seriously consider another career. The majors have all hired so many your age and younger over the past five years that you will for most if not all your major career be at or close to the bottom for desk and vacation bids. You will spend a good chunk of your major career on midnights and the schedules nobody else wants. You will struggle to ever be able to get major holidays off. Every industry downturn will either see you out of a job or quality of life further decayed.

If money is what you want the most then you will get paid well and have many overtime opportunities.

If quality of life is important, I would seriously consider another career. The majors have all hired so many your age and younger over the past five years that you will for most if not all your major career be at or close to the bottom for desk and vacation bids. You will spend a good chunk of your major career on midnights and the schedules nobody else wants. You will struggle to ever be able to get major holidays off. Every industry downturn will either see you out of a job or quality of life further decayed.

If money is what you want the most then you will get paid well and have many overtime opportunities.
Gee, another knock on midnight shifts. Look, they aren't the worst thing in the world. That schedule is far more favorable to commuters than mornings or afternoons, ATC goes to sleep so the work is fairly easy with no reroutes or GDP's especially with the workload being lighter as well...plus you have the freedom to schedule appointments or shopping etc on work days since you have the entire normal people hours off instead of having to burn one of your day's off to do those things.

At my airline, I have seen midnights actually going more and more senior over time.

This website, reddit and google will be your best friends. Biggest thing is just to know the 121’s and check if they are hiring often. I got my license back in March and basically checked through all my usual resources twice a day for 3 months applying to everything that came my way and eventually I got in. No prior aviation experience as well, which leads to the next thing…

Take everything you hear from others with a grain of salt. Everyone is going to have their unique experience and for whatever reason sometimes that happens to lead to your doom and gloom comments in regards to the industry and current hiring trends. Especially on Reddit lol. My take when dealing with those posts and comments were always to brush it off and do my own thing because if you want something and chase it you’ll eventually get it. And that mindset payed off for me.

Also don’t get stressed if you don’t get a job right away. It is true that hiring has slowed, but as long as you keep up with your knowledge of the material after class ends and you are prepared to crush your first interview then that’ll be what sets you apart from people who lose hope and stop practicing just because they didn’t get a job immediately after getting licensed. As someone who was in your shoes not too long ago I promise you’ll be alright. Just don’t get ahead of yourself and focus on what you can do rather than what you can’t.

Formerly worked at Endeavor. I wanna say there was a new hire class roughly every 3-4 months with 6-10 people per class.

Also, I heard through the grape vine that my major might hire dispatchers again in 2025 at close to the same rate they did in 2023. If thats true then the regionals are arguably gonna have even more hiring classes to make up for the people theyll lose.

Gee, another knock on midnight shifts. Look, they aren't the worst thing in the world. That schedule is far more favorable to commuters than mornings or afternoons, ATC goes to sleep so the work is fairly easy with no reroutes or GDP's especially with the workload being lighter as well...plus you have the freedom to schedule appointments or shopping etc on work days since you have the entire normal people hours off instead of having to burn one of your day's off to do those things.

At my airline, I have seen midnights actually going more and more senior over time.

No no, let em knock. Dont shoot yourself (and by extension me and other Mids DXers) in the foot by increasing the competition for lines and OT. Let it be our little secret.

Couldn't disagree more! Quality of life for the most junior person at a major is better than the vast majority of other occupations. Pretty much industry wide we have 3-5 days off EVERY week. Work some trades and you can take a month off relatively easy, year 1. During that month off, you can travel to almost anywhere in world for mostly free (with a little planning and patience). Your fence blow over in a wind storm? Work 2 overtime shifts for $1500, then still have a 2 more days off. Santa comes whenever you say he comes. Celebrate Christmas on the 23rd, no big deal. You may work overnights for a couple years, boo hoo. During those couple years, you wont miss a single ballet recital or ball game. Enough time in this amazing job and you forget what its like to work M-F 9-5. An hour of traffic each way. Phone calls and emails in the evening. Performance reviews. 2 DAYS OFF EVERY WEEK. Yeah I'll take my job over that any day, any shift. Motivational rant over.

Formerly worked at Endeavor. I wanna say there was a new hire class roughly every 3-4 months with 6-10 people per class.

Also, I heard through the grape vine that my major might hire dispatchers again in 2025 at close to the same rate they did in 2023. If thats true then the regionals are arguably gonna have even more hiring classes to make up for the people theyll lose.

No no, let em knock. Dont shoot yourself (and by extension me and other Mids DXers) in the foot by increasing the competition for lines and OT. Let it be our little secret.
UAL?

At the end of the day we work jobs to make money. This industry just to happens to pay very well with very little schooling. What are the other options for someone who didn't get a degree? Shift work at a factory?
I know a lot of people who hate their jobs. Good high paying jobs with "banker hours". I love my job and most of the individuals I've worked with over the years also love their jobs to the point of sacrificing better working hours etc.
To anyone looking to break into this industry I say go for it and enjoy the ride.

The only downside I had from working my midnight shift was living on the ground floor of my apartment and having people mow the lawn right outside my apartment while I’m sleeping. Just something to keep in mind when looking at a place to live no big deal.

At the end of the day we work jobs to make money. This industry just to happens to pay very well with very little schooling. What are the other options for someone who didn't get a degree? Shift work at a factory?
I know a lot of people who hate their jobs. Good high paying jobs with "banker hours". I love my job and most of the individuals I've worked with over the years also love their jobs to the point of sacrificing better working hours etc.
To anyone looking to break into this industry I say go for it and enjoy the ride.

I was literally the banker who hated their job, even with the money and 9-5 hours w/no weekends. This is much better even though I will be stuck on nights for awhile. Not looking back.

The one and only.
Couldn't disagree more! Quality of life for the most junior person at a major is better than the vast majority of other occupations. Pretty much industry wide we have 3-5 days off EVERY week. Work some trades and you can take a month off relatively easy, year 1. During that month off, you can travel to almost anywhere in world for mostly free (with a little planning and patience). Your fence blow over in a wind storm? Work 2 overtime shifts for $1500, then still have a 2 more days off. Santa comes whenever you say he comes. Celebrate Christmas on the 23rd, no big deal. You may work overnights for a couple years, boo hoo. During those couple years, you wont miss a single ballet recital or ball game. Enough time in this amazing job and you forget what it’s like to work M-F 9-5. An hour of traffic each way. Phone calls and emails in the evening. Performance reviews. 2 DAYS OFF EVERY WEEK. Yeah I'll take my job over that any day, any shift. Motivational rant over.

I agree. IMO the cost/schooling to potential earnings ratio alone makes this career worth it. Then you add in the schedule which gives you more days off, typically working less hours, full work benefits, going home to your own bed every night, plus all the travel benefits AND jump seat privileges? The only thing I kinda regret is that I didn’t get my Certificate and get working in this field when I was 23.

Ehh, perhaps, but that’s where the benefits stop. When I was junior on a relief schedule, I’d get assigned many overnights in my first year. During my annual physical, my doctor straight up told me to gtfo the midnight shift as it will kill you (figuratively speaking). The toll it took on my body was enough for never wanting to touch that shift ever again.

But of course, YMMV. Some people are night owls and it works for them!

Couldn't disagree more! Quality of life for the most junior person at a major is better than the vast majority of other occupations. Pretty much industry wide we have 3-5 days off EVERY week. Work some trades and you can take a month off relatively easy, year 1. During that month off, you can travel to almost anywhere in world for mostly free (with a little planning and patience). Your fence blow over in a wind storm? Work 2 overtime shifts for $1500, then still have a 2 more days off. Santa comes whenever you say he comes. Celebrate Christmas on the 23rd, no big deal. You may work overnights for a couple years, boo hoo. During those couple years, you wont miss a single ballet recital or ball game. Enough time in this amazing job and you forget what its like to work M-F 9-5. An hour of traffic each way. Phone calls and emails in the evening. Performance reviews. 2 DAYS OFF EVERY WEEK. Yeah I'll take my job over that any day, any shift. Motivational rant over.
I love your enthusiasm. You make good points too. Question though, you mentioned OT....how easy is that to pick up? Can you just choose you want to work OT one week or do you have to wait until they offer it? At my current office job, I can only do OT if it's offered....and most of the time that's only once a year for substantial OT, and occasionally throughout the year for just a few hours each time.

Not a certified dispatcher (gimme like 3 more weeks :P) but I’ve been keeping an eye on things and it seems like Most (regional) airlines hire once late spring/early summer and once in the fall.
The AA subsidies seem to be more random though, PSA was pooling for a LONG time and just took their down, and I think I’ve only seen Air Wisconsin and Piedmont open once in the past year. Other than those I think late Q2 and late Q3 are when regionals start really opening up and you’ll see like 3 or 4 start hiring classes.

I love your enthusiasm. You make good points too. Question though, you mentioned OT....how easy is that to pick up? Can you just choose you want to work OT one week or do you have to wait until they offer it? At my current office job, I can only do OT if it's offered....and most of the time that's only once a year for substantial OT, and occasionally throughout the year for just a few hours each time.
OT availability ebbs and flows. Every airline I've worked for people have always said "Enjoy this overtime before it dries up" and in my 10 years it has never dried up for long. So a little more complicated than just picking up whenever you want but also not very difficult. Every place can be different though so can't speak for every airline.

I would recommend going to a school like IFOD/Jeppesen/ Sheffield where companies will go to your school and interview you. (They may hire you pending you pass your practical test)

Taking a six week course and make more than 100k , 3 days off, traveling for free. is way better then a uni degree and paying Sallie Mae for a degree that u didn’t really need lol

when I first started, this website,indeed,JS firm and all 121 companies, to find a job

Lol hiring is really based on if the majors hire

Last edited:
Ehh, perhaps, but that’s where the benefits stop. When I was junior on a relief schedule, I’d get assigned many overnights in my first year. During my annual physical, my doctor straight up told me to gtfo the midnight shift as it will kill you (figuratively speaking). The toll it took on my body was enough for never wanting to touch that shift ever again.

But of course, YMMV. Some people are night owls and it works for them!
Relief with midnights mixed in but not consistent is horrible. I imagine having a midnight shift, being scheduled the min 8 hours off and being told to come back in the afternoon for another shift would probably prove your doctor correct.

A midnight line is not so bad if you can adjust to a consistent sleep schedule. Many cannot with families on the day's off, but for someone single and especially commuting it can be great. Commute in the day of, and commute out right after work with the early morning flights.

The only downside I had from working my midnight shift was living on the ground floor of my apartment and having people mow the lawn right outside my apartment while I’m sleeping. Just something to keep in mind when looking at a place to live no big deal.
As someone who’s primarily always worked swings or overnights, the value in a top floor unit (with an elevator in the building if you can swing it) cannot be overstated.

Back