CTI degree, military four years, then ATC

I have been thinking about serving four years as a military officer (non-air traffic control) after completing my CTI degree. Would I be able to use my CTI bachelors degree to get hired by the FAA after my fours years are up? I thought I read that the degree is useless to get hired into the FAA after two years. Thanks.

You can use that 4-year degree for your cti to get hired by the faa, you could even go for the two year degree/cti to get hired by the faa as well.

Your degree is always good. The only thing you have to consider is when you take the AT-SAT. Your test score is only valid for 2 yrs. So if you plan to do military for a few yrs, then wait to take your AT-SAT when you are about to leave the military.

How long can I stay in the AT-CTI inventory?

You can stay in the inventory for at least three years after you graduate from your AT-CTI program. The initial eligibility period is 3 years from your graduation date or your 31st birthday, if sooner. After that, you can stay in the inventory only if you apply each year for an extension

Your degree is always good. The only thing you have to consider is when you take the AT-SAT. Your test score is only valid for 2 yrs. So if you plan to do military for a few yrs, then wait to take your AT-SAT when you are about to leave the military.
The test is valid for 3 years.

I have been thinking about serving four years as a military officer (non-air traffic control) after completing my CTI degree. Would I be able to use my CTI bachelors degree to get hired by the FAA after my fours years are up? I thought I read that the degree is useless to get hired into the FAA after two years. Thanks.

My initial question would be, why join the military at all? Especially if you don't want to do atc while you're in? Thats going to be four years of seniority lost and for what? You're also risking possibly missing the hiring boat. It took me two years to get hired and I was VRA with 4 previous ratings. My advice would be to just complete your schooling and apply for the FAA right away.

HD

My initial question would be, why join the military at all? Especially if you don't want to do atc while you're in? Thats going to be four years of seniority lost and for what? You're also risking possibly missing the hiring boat. It took me two years to get hired and I was VRA with 4 previous ratings. My advice would be to just complete your schooling and apply for the FAA right away.

HD

or get hired first...then join the reserves.

I'm thinking about command and control officer, airfield operations officer, or air battle manager. Taking a turn in the barrell? Please inform me on what you mean!

I'm thinking about command and control officer, airfield operations officer, or air battle manager. Taking a turn in the barrell? Please inform me on what you mean!

Airfield Ops Officer in the Air Force is air traffic control. We give them what are called "paper ratings":)

HD

"paper ratings":)
LMAO. u can say that again. i'd never tell someone NOT to serve your country. however, if ur doing it ONLY to get ATC experience then don't waste your time. your officer status and mil "paper rating" CTO won't mean much more than if u just apply to the FAA via CTI right now. your chances are really good to get picked up fairly quickly at this point in time. who knows...if the green book (or something similar) finds its way back, then the flood gate of VRAs currently at DOD or FCT facilities will open. the line for the FAA will be long again. the CTIs will be behind the VRAs, and the OTS will be behind the CTIs.

now is the time to get in if u want to be a controller. who knows what the future holds. military service is always encouraged.

If you're going to be an Airfield Operations officer you should understand a few things, and these are to be helpful, not insulting. As an AOF, you will get minimal training in the Twr/RAPCON, but understand that the ATC personell will look at you as a burden and somewhat of a joke regarding ATC. You will be pushed through training as quickly as possible so the ATC personell can get rid of you and get back to moving aircraft without the distractions of an officer around. Understand that your ATC skills will be nill. You WILL be dangerous when you get your proficiency time. It doesn't matter how intelligent or dedicated you are, you won't be able to maintain any level of proficiency because your main duties as an AOF will be pushing paper, i.e. manning documents, briefings for other commanders and the PT police just to name a few. Again, not trying to insult you, just want you to know how it will really be.

Back