CSEL (Initial) & Multi-Engine Add-On Checkride in Same Day???

Doing your initial in an RG will cost you about 20 bucks more than in a normal 172 and will be the easiest. Then you're done. Then you jump in the multi right after, the next day, or the next year even. Doing your initial in the multi is going to cost a ton more money!

The only way it seems possible is to combine the training before meeting the 250 hrs requirement, example get your multi training(complex). When you're about to meet the comercial hour requirement go out and practice the single complex airplane(lets say 5 hours at the most). The day of your checkride you'll get the CSEL first and then add the Multi............
That's exactly what I did. Took both check rides at about 251 TT

I do not think thats true 100% of the time depending on DPE and FSDO. Like what Chief Captain said some will allow the multi to be used to do the landings for the complex portion of the ride. Just like you can use a multi for the complex training for the SEL commercial training. If you read the requirements for the SEL it says under the complex training "an airplane" not single engine or multi engine.

Just as a point of order -- This shouldn't be "depending on the DPE and the FSDO" ... it's in the frakin' PTS.

Federal Aviation Administration said:
FAA-S-8081-12C, bottom of page 9:
Aircraft and Equipment Required for the Practical Test
The commercial pilot—airplane applicant is required by 14 CFR
section 61.45 to provide an airworthy, certificated aircraft for use
during the practical test. This section further requires that the aircraft
must:
4. be a complex airplane furnished by the applicant, unless
the applicant currently holds a commercial pilot certificate

I mean, yall should read these things!

~.^

~Fox

Edit:found it. The PTS states pretty explicitly on page 9 that the aircraft provided by the applicant must be of the category, class, and type (if required) for the certificate or rating sought. Don't know how a DPE would get by that and allow you to use a multi for your complex maneuvers...

Right page, but you didn't read #4. If you get your commercial in a multi, you meet the requirements for #4, thus waiving the requirement for a complex airplane.

~Fox

I'm really not sure that that's legit. Pretty sure the PTS requires that for a given ride (say, CSEL) all aircraft used must be of the appropriate category and class.

Of course, I'm having an abbreviated reading day, as well.. I didn't read what you quoted.

I agree with you that /that/ is not legit.

Two FULL serial checkrides, multi->single makes it legit, but now that I understand what yall're talking about here, I agree and you can ignore me. Pretty sure I read through this before and opted not to say anything because of that, then completely forgot!

Too tired to be posting,
_Fox

Back