CSA SportCruiser crash at Van Nuys

Wild_Weasel

It was N384SC. Crashed at the northeast corner directly where Helinet usually parks an AW-139. I was actually at the viewing area the evening before and unknowingly captured a photo of it in the pattern. Kind of an eerie feeling.

2 men dead after small plane crashes, erupts in flames at Van Nuys Airport
N384SC Flight Tracking and History 02-Aug-2023 (KVNY-KVNY) - FlightAware
IMG_7899.jpg

It was N384SC. Crashed at the northeast corner directly where Helinet usually parks an AW-139. I was actually at the viewing area the evening before and unknowingly captured a photo of it in the pattern. Kind of an eerie feeling.

2 men dead after small plane crashes, erupts in flames at Van Nuys Airport
N384SC Flight Tracking and History 02-Aug-2023 (KVNY-KVNY) - FlightAware
View attachment 72989
A picture like that really drives it home.

Here is the next day.

IMG_0911.jpeg

I have a friend who was a sport CFI for a while and I get the impression that a lot of these LSAs don't fly very well.

Not that it has anything to do with this.

I have a friend who was a sport CFI for a while and I get the impression that a lot of these LSAs don't fly very well.

I haven’t read details but the one AOPA or whatever blurb I read sounds like the Part 23 rewrite might help a lot with this and with the durability compromises that were made to get a lot of these lil guys into the LSA category.

Can confirm. I've flown and worked on several LSAs. The concept is great, 21st century materials and design coupled with the spirit of modern engineering, but the final product doesn't seem sturdy compared to CAR 3 or Part 23 aircraft.

Last edited:
I was actually at the viewing area the evening before and unknowingly captured a photo of it in the pattern. Kind of an eerie feeling.
For what it's worth...

A spotter caught a picture of me taking a friend up on a flight a few days before mine crashed. It was the first (and last) it ever made it to one of the planespotting sites. I had emailed him the morning of the crash about what a nice picture it was -- by the time I checked my emails the next day, he had sent me a bunch more. I was already planning on offering to take him up the next time he was in town.

Those pictures were so, so good to have. Sure, I had taken some of the plane myself, but didn't actually have any of me flying. If he hadn't put those up, I never would've had any. Losing that plane felt like losing a little piece of me. Crazy as it sounds. I'm really happy to have those pictures now.

It's almost definitely too early, but someday, someone will be glad you took that shot, should you feel inclined to send it on to them. It's a memory from a better time of somebody doing something they love.

I was just thumbing through VASAviation on YouTube and they had the ATC recordings on. I don't need to listen to that again.

Yea, I've talked with some CFIs who used to teach in light sports. Their major complaint is that the airframes are very, very light, with light control forces. As a result, they don't handle windy conditions or gusts very well, and when it does happen, it leads to lot of overcontrolling.

Use caution.

Yea, I've talked with some CFIs who used to teach in light sports. Their major complaint is that the airframes are very, very light, with light control forces. As a result, they don't handle windy conditions or gusts very well, and when it does happen, it leads to lot of overcontrolling.

Use caution.
Pardon my ignorance but how is that any different than a lot of the old J3's, T-crafts, Chiefs, and other LSA-compliant airplanes that have been around for 80+ years?

I was just thumbing through VASAviation on YouTube and they had the ATC recordings on. I don't need to listen to that again.
I always thought people were exaggerating, but the first time I heard the audio from the PHX news chopper midair in ‘07 I legitimately felt a little sick to my stomach.

A few times I rented at schools with LSAs and I'd ask whoever my go-to CFI there was for a checkout just to fly a different type of airplane for fun with no intentions to rent it over 172s or a Grumman Tiger or whatever. No matter the CFI or model of LSA aircraft, I was always told "That thing is a piece of crap its not even worth it". So I've still never flown one lol.

They're typically NOT bad aircraft. But they DO tend to be very squirrelly. Often more twitchy than a taildragger.
One needs to be well on top of one's skis to fly and land these frisky little insects.

Sadly, the FAA has never seemed to recognize this. Which is why the FAA will certify (some preachers like to say "certificate", but I think certify covers it) a "sport pilot" or a "sport pilot instructor" with fewer requirements than those required for a "pilot" or CFI certificate. My opinion: C'mon meow! In the key of C, let's sing the tune of South Park: "dum, dum, dum, dum, dum!"

Yet another story for the Good Airplane - Bad Pilot file. Film at 11.

RIP.

Back