CRJs- What is the 'skypointer'?

It's an EFIS thing, not a CRJ-specific thing; it's the same on the G1000 and most other EFIS implementations.

Basically, the roll index on the attitude indicator (the "EADI", technically) is two triangles that point at each other when wings-level. The triangle on the inside stays relative to the position of the horizon, and thus always "points to the sky".

rfds_eadi.gif

The airplane is in about a 21 degree bank to the right, as indicated by the inner triangle pointing up and to the left (to the sky). The scale is generally 10-20-30-45-60.

For those interested, the sky pointer ofttimes has "the brick" underneath, indicating the coordination of flight. A good way of judging pilot fatigue is flying the whole day not realizing that you're in a "bent" airplane... I'd have to say the brick is one of the most overlooked indexes in one's glass panel "scan." I am definitely no exception to this.

Umm, no.

The G1000 does not have sky pointer.
It does, it's just backwards from the example posted above. Call it a "ground pointer" if you must. The only difference is that the fixed index marker is on the outer scale on the G1000, where it's the inner one on most other EFIS implementations.

attachment.php

Attachments

• g1000-gnd-ptr.jpg
    g1000-gnd-ptr.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 8,037
Unless it's a new software update, but the G1000's I flew months back never had a sky pointer.

Unless you're considering the triangle that is outside the bank angle gradient that is pointing inward. The triangle pointing up on the inside of the bank angle gradient doesn't point towards the sky, but rather at the bank angle you're at.

DSCN0852.JPG

I suppose you could consider the top triangle a sky pointer. . .but it's not really pointing towards the sky - you know - up? More like a "no bank" indicator, lol

It does, it's just backwards from the example posted above. Call it a "ground pointer" if you must. The only difference is that the fixed index marker is on the outer scale on the G1000, where it's the inner one on most other EFIS implementations.

That is not a skypointer nor does Garmin reference it as such.

Have you ever flown a cockpit with a skypointer?

What if you're inverted. . .the G1000 skypointer is pointing you to the ground. . .not much of a sky pointer now. . .a ground pointer!1

The G1000 doesn't have a sky pointer. It is very intuitive and easy to understand.

The EMB-120 definitely has a sky pointer. I thought it was a pain the a$$ to interpret at first. And still gets me to this day sometimes.

The G1000 doesn't have a sky pointer. It is very intuitive and easy to understand.

The EMB-120 definitely has a sky pointer. I thought it was a pain the a$$ to interpret at first. And still gets me to this day sometimes.

I had issues when them too when I first started using them. When I flew E-110 the CA's side had the skypointer and the FO's side had the standard C-172 style. It mixed me up few times when swapping seats.

Now I would hate to fly a plane that didn't have a sky pointer.

It's an EFIS thing, not a CRJ-specific thing; it's the same on the G1000 and most other EFIS implementations.

Basically, the roll index on the attitude indicator (the "EADI", technically) is two triangles that point at each other when wings-level. The triangle on the inside stays relative to the position of the horizon, and thus always "points to the sky".

rfds_eadi.gif

The airplane is in about a 21 degree bank to the right, as indicated by the inner triangle pointing up and to the left (to the sky). The scale is generally 10-20-30-45-60.

Not trying to be a smartass... We have the "skypointer" in the Dash 8 - steam gauges in our airplanes.

I honestly hate this damn thing. I like the G1000 design better. I mean if you are inverted josh you are having a real bad day in the 1st place. And best of luck getting out of that in the jet. Although I did it in the sim last time its an interesting time to say the least.

Back