CRJs- What is the 'skypointer'?

I honestly hate this damn thing. I like the G1000 design better. I mean if you are inverted josh you are having a real bad day in the 1st place. And best of luck getting out of that in the jet. Although I did it in the sim last time its an interesting time to say the least.
I dont like it too much either. We had one potential classmate that rolled that silly MD 80 PCATD upside down during the interview. Wouldnt be surprised if that was a sky pointer thing.

I honestly hate this damn thing. I like the G1000 design better. I mean if you are inverted josh you are having a real bad day in the 1st place. And best of luck getting out of that in the jet. Although I did it in the sim last time its an interesting time to say the least.

I've thought this a few days ago. . .but your sarcasm detector is totally ####ed.

You're so cute honey!

Thanks babydoll.

What I hate is the flight director that is a cross. I'm too used to the V shaped one.

I've flown with both. I prefer the "vee bar" but the "cross bar" (or whatever they call it) is useful when you just want certain lateral and/or vertical cues.

I've flown with both. I prefer the "vee bar" but the "cross bar" (or whatever they call it) is useful when you just want certain lateral and/or vertical cues.

The much older guys will tell you that that's a "man's" flight director.

Ive never flown the crossbar FD, but have seen it in a Dash8 jumpseating.

What cues are you talking about? Stuff like flying an approach half a dot high for Wake turbulence?

Nah, let's say that the crossbar is commanding a 18 degree climb and a bank angle of say 15 degrees. You can still use the pitch bar, but then increase or decrease your bank angle to stay on LNAV path. With the Vee-bar, it's relatively* useless unless you're following the commands exactly.

And my non-EFIS 737-200 I flew around had a skypointer! :)

*IMHO

The good thing about the dual cue (cross bar) flight directors is that if one of the axis fails, you can still use the other. With a single cue (V-bar), that isn't possible.

Back